Adding a GoTo menu that the visitor fills in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a GoTo menu that the visitor fills in

Is there some whay that I can add a Go menu (or something like one) that will allow the visitor to fill in their two letter state code (example WA, TN, TX , AZ etc).

I have different areas of my sites that are designed for specific states and I really don't want to have a dropdown menu that has 50 choices in it. It would be better if the visitor could just type in their two letter state code and have it automatically take them to the proper section.....

Naval????
    Bethers???
    Pablo???
    Affordable Medical Insurance
    Discount Dental Plan
    Washington State Health Insurance
    Temporary Health Insurance
    Homeowner Insurance Quote

Re: Adding a GoTo menu that the visitor fills in

You need a form and a script for that. A simple form, with only one filed /state) and a submit button. The form action should be set to a redirect script. Look at this thread, particularly at post #10 : http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/for...orm-links.html

Your pages should be saved as xy where xy are the two initials of the state.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm OK.

Gonna give this a shot.Thanks Naval!
      Discount Dental Plan

Comment

either way you go--- I see a lot of typing (or cut /paste /modify) in your future.LOL

Andy
        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Hi, it’s only a curiosity thing. But do you deal with clients from outside the US?
          I am only thinking that many won’t have a clue what area the abbreviation is from.
          Only an idea! Maybe a small (image map) with the links to different areas of the states.
          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Andy128
            either way you go--- I see a lot of typing (or cut /paste /modify) in your future.LOL

Andy
            Why ?
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

50 states and 50 links comes to mind.

Andy
              PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy128
                50 states and 50 links comes to mind.

Andy
                The script and form require no effort at all.

The links are automatically built by the script, which is only a few lines. The form, as motoxx wants it, will only contain a text field, let's call it "state", limited to two chrs, and a submit button. The visitor fills in the state initials, so there is no typing. The form submits to the, let's call it, "state.php" script.
                If one wants a dropdown with the states, it can be easily imported from any of the existing forms on the web. For example, you can import it from here.
                simply using BV's import html tool.

The script itself is:

<?php
                $state= $_POST['state'];
                $link = $state;
                if(file_exists($link))
                {
                header("Location: $link");

}
                header("Location: nostate.html");
                ?>

where "nostate.html" is a very simple page that informs the visitor if there is no product (or company or service) related to that state. This way you avoid the script linking to a state page that doesn't exist.

The pages for every state should be like LA.html, FL.html because that's how mottoxx wants the visitor to fill in the form.

The only actual work is building the pages themselves.
                Navaldesign

Comment

The only insurance and such that I do outside of the US is Travel insurance. My target market is pretty much all US based unless someone is looking for travel coverage from outside of the US.

Naval, here is a bit of a dilema about the magnificent thing you have come up with...

Part of my SEO that works very well for me is how I have the state specific pages named. If I name each page the same as the two letter abbreviation I am going to lose this. Example, If I am selling health insurance in Florida, the page name would be domainname.com/floridahealth.html
                  The SEs look into the longer tail search terms of my pages and I get a bunch of business because of this.

I am not affraid to place 50 links on the site or maybe have a bit of code that looks into a folder on the FTP and tells the state abbreviation where to go.

I am totally new at HTML and I know this isn't anywhere near correct but maybe you'll get my meaning....some thing sort of like this.

if " "="FL" redirect to http://www.domainname.com/floridahealth.html
                  if " "="GA" redirect to http://www.domainname.com/georgiahealth.html

Can these links possibly sit in some sort of a folder on the FTP or can they just sit in the page html?
                  Discount Dental Plan

Comment

You can use a dropdown menu, with the full names of the states, or else create in the script, an array, where the keys are the state initials, and the values are the links, or even simply the full state name. In the first case the link is already in the array, in the second, it is created as in the previous post, with a concatenation of the state name and the word "health"
                    Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                    X