X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say Goodbye to Google?

This was on a forum I am with...check this out

SearchMash

Google is passé. Yes, you heard me right. The day of the Google search engine is nearly over. Says who, you may ask? Well, it wasn't me, but it was actually Google themselves. Yes, that’s right. Unknown to most of us, Google for some time now has been trying out a new format for their next generation search engine. No, it’s no longer Google. For whatever reasons, they have named it SearchMash. In fact, unless you go to their Terms of Service page, you won’t be able to figure out that it has anything to do with Google at all. Okay, so what’s so different about this new search engine? Well, let's find out!

The basic idea is the same. There is a text box in which you type in your query and press Enter. Notice there’s no “I am feeling lucky” button anymore. Once the results come up, to start with, you won’t see all those adsense ads that cram up toward the right when you search for something on Google. This page is totally ad free. Secondly, this is quite an improvement over the Google search engine. A search in SearchMash won’t bring up tons of irrelevant results like it happens in Google, especially for searches with longer queries. The good thing for tenured Google users is that the syntax and the way of Googling works the same on SearchMash. You can use wildcards, quotes plus signs and the other operators that you presently use to customize your Google searches. In the image below, you can see how it all works.

As you can see, it goes along with the tried and trusted Google search results format. Click on the link that says "Hide Details" and it will hide all the text in an instant, showing you only the links and the Web sites from where the links are originating. This is really cool, especially if you know the exact Web site you are looking for. Since the link and the Web site addresses are color coded, it’s even easier to go through the page in a jiffy.

Now, one feature I really love about SearchMash is the little panel to the right. Remember those tabs up on top of the Google search box? Yes, the ones that let you search the images and new Google groups, etc. Well, the same functionality is presented here too, however, it's in a different, much more friendlier format.

As you can see, along with the regular search results that were pulled up, there is also a small panel where you can see other related material. For instance, if you click on the plus sign next to the images, another small panel will drop down with pictures related to your search query, which in this case was “Goo Goo Dolls” (the band). Similarly, if you click on the plus sign next to the blogs, you will be presented with links to some blogs whose primary content is about the Goo Goo Dolls. I clicked on the plus sign next to videos and it showed me a screenshot from the videos, which also links to that particular video. To see more video results about the search query you put in, you can click on the “See Video Results” link. Another cool thing about this panel is the Wikipedia link. It shows you all of the Wikipedia pages related to your search query. Is that cool or what?! You don’t need to click on another tab or wait for a new page to load. Simply click on the plus sign and you'll see instant results.

Since this is a new venture from Google and it is in its test stages, you can also give your feedback on its performance. At the bottom right, there’s another panel where you can give a positive or a negative feedback to the efficiency of this system. This is beneficial to Google, as it will help them develop SearchMash into an even better finished product.

As much as I love Google, I am truly enjoying this new search engine and the new, much more friendly format. I can’t wait for Google to unveil the final product. Until then, go give it a spin. Maybe you’ll love it as much as I do!

Check SearchMash out for yourself

http://www.searchmash.com/

http://www.fromtheheartofangels.com/

Re: Say Goodbye to Google?

Now what is going to happen to the websites that have the adsense and adwords advertising? Any opinions on this?

http://www.fromtheheartofangels.com/

Comment

It won't change at all - this is simply a new feature - and the original google search isn't going to disappear either. Time will tell if this even takes hold.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Cmon now. Focus. You want some interesting reading material? Wrap your minds around this....

A televised conference on C-Span in late November... The Google CEO and Chairman was on, and my attention was hooked when he started describing in detail new features of what Google was to bring to the table. However, it wasn't the features that I was interested in the most. What got me excited was when he mentioned "serendipity."

Google Serendipity

The relevancy issue will be taken to a whole new playing field in terms of SEO. In my opinion, forget outside the box, it's time to go through it.

here is just one article about serendipity in general, and the mentioning of Google Serendipity is in it as well. I recommend this article to anyone to get a multi-perspective view of serendipity.
        This was back in MAY 2006:

http://www.roughtype.com/archives/20...ystematize.php

note: search everywhere for this, and pay attention to blogs and editorial sites.....especially those with linked words throughout the articles, look at the word...and what it actually leads you to. I'll have to post an example page I stumbled upon which is a "near perfect" page for a "serendipitous SE spider?"

If you can figure out how to setup your website like the picture shown in this .pdf here:

http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/papers/sigmod00-eddy.pdf

then i say you will be Google's best friend.
        Robert
        www.GraphXntrix.com
        Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Working...
        X