Laptop go byebye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop go byebye

The story... I was happily working on my computer, doing a few tasks, when I thought I smelt something funny. I was getting a cold, so I thouht nothing of it at first. But the smell stayed, and it smelt like something burning. When I touched the part of the a-c adapter that connect to the laptop, I burnt my finger. I instantly saved my work, and shut down. I then removed the ac adapter, burning my fingers a few more times. When I eventually got it out, I found to my dismay that the plastic at the end of the a-c adapter had melted into the connection point of the battery of my laptop. After I cursed HP a few times, I plug it back in, just to see what would happen. It instantly got hot, so I removed it yet again. I called HP (some people say they would rather be shot than talk to hp support) and was told numerous times that my product was out of warranty. I hung up. I called again, not satisfied with their option of sending in my laptop for $298.00 to do a "total hp repair". (for all I know they just kick it a few times and send it back.) I was on hold forever. Finally hearing that ringing sound, I begin chatting with someone with such an accent, I have to have them repeat things over and over again. I ask them to escalate my call, so instead he transfers my call to another department. I explain my situation again. I ask to be escalated to their manager. They speak with their manager a few times. I then am told that they will have a case manager call me. I leave my cell number. Two days later, they call, but I am at school, with my phone off so all I get is a missed call and a number. I call the number that was missed and get someone's voicemail from HP. I leave a message for them to call me back. I then call hp's main line again, and go through the same routine. I finally get someone withought an accent, who understands my issue, and instantly decides I need a case manager and asks me what number is best to reach me at, and what time. I tell them, and that is where I am now. The laptop is out of warranty. I don't care. It could have burnt my house down. Have you heard about all of the faulty laptop batteries that have exploded?

The question: What should I do?
    Steps I have taken to resolve the issue: Refer to the epic above.
    Help?

Re: Laptop go byebye

Hewlett Packard have recalled 135,000 laptop batteries, as it seems they are prone to overheating.

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced a voluntary recall by Hewlett-Packard of a range of HP Pavilion and HP/Compaq Presario and Evo laptop battery packs. The problem is occurring in the packs, where an internal short can cause the battery cells to overheat and melt, or burn the plastic casing, posing a fire hazard.

So .. if you bought an HP/Compaq notebook or replacable batterie between March 2004 til May 2005, check out the CSPC's HP Battery recall page for more details.

But look on the bright side, they are offering to fix it for free, the only problem is that you probably waited to long to get a new batterie, not sure, but if you click on that link I have you, you will see a list of batteries that we're affected.

Let me know what happens! Hope this works .. Thanks ..
    Best regards,
    Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Hewlett-Packard and Compaq Notebook Models that may contain a recalled battery pack

HP Pavilion

dx4000
      dx5000
      zd8100
      ze4100
      ze4100/xt1xx
      ze4200
      ze4300
      ze4400
      ze4500
      ze4600
      ze4700
      ze4800
      ze5155
      ze5200
      ze5300
      ze5400
      ze5500
      ze5600
      zv5000
      zv5200
      zx5000
      zx5200

HP Compaq
      nc6000
      nc8000
      nw8000
      nx5000
      nx9005
      nx9008
      nx9010
      nx9100
      nx9105

Compaq Presario
      R3000
      R3200
      V1000
      X4000
      X5000
      X6100

Compaq Evo

n1010v
      n1050v

NOTE: Recalled battery packs have bar-code labels starting with GC, IA, L0, or L1
      Best regards,
      Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

no, they are offering to fix it for $298.00 as of now. I will keep you posted, and thanks for the link, *click*

Comment

Alright, well that really sux doesn't it? .. you are better off to purchase a new notebook I would say but only buy it after Jan 31st so you can have Windows Vista pre-installed into it.

Because why pay 300$ to fix a batterie when you can get a new notebook with a brand new working bat. and at a cheap price for a notebook with improved features?
          Best regards,
          Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

oh my god, my battery pack is affected!!! They never even told me. I hate them so much now! I even askedif any battery packs were recalled. What cheap ********. Now I have a ruined laptop battery too because of the melted plastic!!!

Comment

You can take that to court maybe, but it's not worth it.
              Best regards,
              Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

I checked again, and the first two digits of the battery pack are not included. And what case would I make? It would be a he said she said thing because I failed to record the conversation... Well, I can always threaten it. :) I think that my battery pack was affected... It has all the right symptoms...

Comment

The battery problem is on almost all computer brands, Dell, HP, Gateway, etc - there have been stories all over the news. You need to check the complete websites for information on your computer. Mine got lucky - I have a battery made during the effected dates, but not one that is recalled.

But, my question is - you were not running on battery but on electric power and you are saying your electic cord is what got hot. That is an entirely different story.
                  Beth
                  A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

oh my god! I just got off the phone with one of the people, and they are sending a box via fed-ex next day shipping for me to put my computer-harddrive and ac adapter in. Once they recieve it they are going to replace ALL parts damaged and return it free of charge. All free. And, I recorded the conversation with the guy, and they sent me a customer service order confirmation!!! 6 conversations, 3 online chats and a partitridge in a pear tree! Woohooo! New battery for my 3 year old laptop!!! It was getting old, and its battery life was nearing 10 minutes!!! The new one of the same thing lasts for one hour when brand new!!! Hip-Hip-Hooray!!!

Comment

Wow,

PROPS TO PEMDAS21! .. good for you! Keep us posted on how it goes (how long to get it back, and what happens when you get it back)

Let us know!
                      Best regards,
                      Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

well done you for sticking it out
                        The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
                        Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

Well thank you Jeremy and allstarfaces! I have removed my hard drive because I don't want some hp guy logging on and doing something like format c:\ That is the hard drive with windows vista, and xp pro. They are even sending me a box to put it in! Wow, I just hope that I don't get a bill... I just feel like pointing and laughing at all of the people that said you have to pay 298 dollars or whatever to have your computer completely reserviced. :) I will take pictures of the laptop and post them here. :)

Comment

Haha! Alright! .. this is going to be interesting! ..
                            Best regards,
                            Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

well, the latest:

I recieved the box as of yesterday that was sent from a facility in Freemont, CA. It came with packing instructions, cool packing things that went on the ends of the laptop, and a special place just for the ac adapter. :) I put on the mailing label, and taped it shut, but not before I took a zillion pics of the laptop... Hp hasn't exactly won my trust... They said that they have recieved it as of today, just a few hours ago. They also said that it should be shipped back at the latest on tuesday, or wednesday... We will see! Comments?

Comment

Working...
                              X