Contsructive critism welcome... (sort of) lol:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contsructive critism welcome... (sort of) lol:

Well I am sure I have a long way to go but I could use some pointers along the way. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

http://www.earningscoach.com
    www.EarningsCoach.com
    www.SmartMove.biz

Re: Contsructive critism welcome... (sort of) lol:

Lot of useful information, looks good although the first page could use some sprucing.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Your site looks good but I don't see the point of having an entry page directing people to your home page. As Bill said the entry page needs sprucing up to give it something to attract your customers into the site.

For example your smartmove.biz entry page has slightly more appeal

Other than that I would get rid of it and have people link directly to your Home Page.

Just my thoughts but the look and feel of your site is looking good. Well done.
      Phil Cartledge (Aussie Phil)

Discover A Simple Approach To Online Business That Locks In Your Success.

Comment

I totally agree with Phil. Your entry page is one I'd click off of - but your actual home page is really nice and much more appealing. The entry page didn't give me anything to show me that you're the site/page I wanted to land on. It's simply an extra step and unnecessary.

Other than that - I'm just surprised you have a political banner on the home page - unless you don't mind sending anyone off who might not agree with your politics? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind, but if someone clicks who might be interested in what you offer - but is totally against your candidate, you could lose them. On the other hand, you could gain some who are for that candidate. I just don't like to get political on websites where I don't want to lose potential money :)

Your site has a very good, professional feel. Very well done.

I don't like that your navigation moves after I left the home page. I'd prefer to see it the same on all pages. It threw me a bit when I changed pages. I'd make it all down the side or all across the top - but would make that standardized.

Well done
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

In your case, a Portal makes no sense whatsoever, and gives me the impression that your site is emulating something that is apparently greater.
          Portals (once the rage 5 years ago) are still effective for true cross-channel marketing efforts, but unless done with care they will defeat visitors and purpose alike. *I use a Portal, but a carefully constructed one: EXAMPLE
          Your actual Home Page should indeed, be cleaned up to be your true landing page.

I would personally suggest you reconsider your style of navigation: it is complete overkill and redundant, looking more than just rudimentary and awkward, it telegraphs a less than polished presentation and the lack of logical design. Try selecting simple buttons with a clean rollover effect in complimentary colors to evoke a continuity more befitting to your "posture." Even I use buttons with rollover and even sound effectively: EXAMPLE

What really blows me away is a political advertisement on your website. That is such an obvious "No-No" and is the most significant expression of non-professionalism in both the business world and in web design. It is a negative first impression you could have avoided easily, and which is the hardest to recover from (if you intend to have frequent or even repeat visitors at all). * If you really feel you must include such endorsements, why not consider creating a "Favorite Links" or "Community Links" section to post them? I am sure you can find even worthy organizations that would benefit from such exposure....

In My Opinion, of course...
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Hi all,

A bit supprised at the political issue reference. I suppose I just felt that avoiding such an important issue when given the opportunity was gutless. I do know that I will win some and lose some but eventualy ever major media outlet throws their collective hat into the ring. After I suppose they make as much profit as possible by staying neutral.

Thanks though for the other advice. I will keep it all in mind, work still in progress!

Landing page was designed to create the value proposition. Guess it might still not be doing the trick.
            www.EarningsCoach.com
            www.SmartMove.biz

Comment

I must second everything that Vasili said about the political stuff. In a professional environment it is best to stay as neutral as possible. Your business face on the web or storefront is not the best place to show off your political views. As soon as I saw your political banner, I didn't care anymore one bit about what you offered. In America, politics are split so far down the middle that if you take a political view you run the risk of alienating at least 50% of your potential customer base. Now maybe that isn't that big of a concern for you to give up 50% of your business, I know it would hurt mine.

Here is an example of someone who hurt themselves...
              The Dixie Chicks took a political stance while in England on the war in Iraq not thinking there would be any reprocussions back here at home....well, they alienated 50% of their fan base, came home and had very lackluster sales of their new album and had 30% of their tour dates cancel and a whole bunch more move to smaller venues due to bad ticket sales. All because of taking a political stance. Their fan base here in the states, in large part, didn't share their views and voted with their pocket books.
              OUCH! I spent 20 years working in the music industry as a touring live sound engineer and I have seen so many people (musicians and actors alike) hurt themselves financially by doing this.
              People go to concerts to be entertained and to forget about their daily lives for a while...Thats why it is called "Entertainment"

People come to financial planners and advisors to learn how to deal with THEIR money issues. When you sell a service people are coming to you because they have a problem and they need you to solve it....they only care about THEMSELVES. Even if they agree with your views, they aren't there to discuss them with you....They only care about themsleves and what their problem is and how to solve it.....not to hear about how some politian wants to take money from them for his political campaign or in the form of higher taxes.

The exact same can be said for religion. Stay neutral.

I do insurance and financial planning as well and I have to ALWAYS be in the middle of the road....It is just good business practice.

I would dump your whole intro page but the audio is decent enough to be used on your home page.
              Affordable Medical Insurance
              Discount Dental Plan
              Washington State Health Insurance
              Temporary Health Insurance
              Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

You've heard from nearly all of us in agreement that your entry page doesn't work and isn't needed and that a political statement by a business entity isn't good. I'm very surprised that you would be surprised by that? You say that every MEDIA outlet will throw their hat in - you are a business - not a media outlet. And I tend to avoid businesses that go political even if I agree with their candidate. I don't think that it belongs in the business.

Not at all a matter of being gutless -

Now, if your business centered around politics, that would be another thing entirely.
                Beth
                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Yep...Bethers said it right again........
                  Affordable Medical Insurance
                  Discount Dental Plan
                  Washington State Health Insurance
                  Temporary Health Insurance
                  Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

Well, while I am not certain that 5 people make a majority, this is a telling indicator. Will need to sleep on this one. I do see your points as valid, just not sure I am willing to leave the platform open. Fact is maybe people need to put the greater good ahead of short term profits.

I am not made of money, but I do have my principles. Could be I will just relocate the info to a linked domain. Thanks all!
                    www.EarningsCoach.com
                    www.SmartMove.biz

Comment

Originally posted by earningscoach
                      Fact is maybe people need to put the greater good ahead of short term profits.
                      Wow.... thanks for the laugh. I am all for the 'greater good'... but if my business was to help people accrue these 'short term profits'.... nuf said!
                      Naturally Yours,
                      Dori
                      www.earthelixirs.com
                      www.earthelixirsinc.com
                      www.mineralmakeupdiva.com
                      www.virtualdesigndiva.com
                      www.enhancemineralcosmetics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dori
                        Wow.... thanks for the laugh. I am all for the 'greater good'... but if my business was to help people accrue these 'short term profits'.... nuf said!
                        Wow, all this from one banner? Maybe I should have put "a night in paris" up there instead.

"Short term profits is just coded speach for fast approaching failure". Thank you all for this quick glimpse into the annimosity that lies so close to the surface of some. lol
                        www.EarningsCoach.com
                        www.SmartMove.biz

Comment

Originally posted by motoxxx
                          I must second everything that Vasili said about the political stuff. In a professional environment it is best to stay as neutral as possible. Your business face on the web or storefront is not the best place to show off your political views. As soon as I saw your political banner, I didn't care anymore one bit about what you offered. In America, politics are split so far down the middle that if you take a political view you run the risk of alienating at least 50% of your potential customer base. Now maybe that isn't that big of a concern for you to give up 50% of your business, I know it would hurt mine.

Here is an example of someone who hurt themselves...
                          The Dixie Chicks took a political stance while in England on the war in Iraq not thinking there would be any reprocussions back here at home....well, they alienated 50% of their fan base, came home and had very lackluster sales of their new album and had 30% of their tour dates cancel and a whole bunch more move to smaller venues due to bad ticket sales. All because of taking a political stance. Their fan base here in the states, in large part, didn't share their views and voted with their pocket books.
                          OUCH! I spent 20 years working in the music industry as a touring live sound engineer and I have seen so many people (musicians and actors alike) hurt themselves financially by doing this.
                          People go to concerts to be entertained and to forget about their daily lives for a while...Thats why it is called "Entertainment"

People come to financial planners and advisors to learn how to deal with THEIR money issues. When you sell a service people are coming to you because they have a problem and they need you to solve it....they only care about THEMSELVES. Even if they agree with your views, they aren't there to discuss them with you....They only care about themsleves and what their problem is and how to solve it.....not to hear about how some politian wants to take money from them for his political campaign or in the form of higher taxes.

The exact same can be said for religion. Stay neutral.

I do insurance and financial planning as well and I have to ALWAYS be in the middle of the road....It is just good business practice.

I would dump your whole intro page but the audio is decent enough to be used on your home page.
                          Thank you for the polite and consice example. I must say that as I travel between clients I am often put off and made to feel extremely uncompfortable when potential clients play the "god" card. To each his own and I have a personal faith. But as you point out, there is a time and place for everything. My plans are to develope a blog on the political topics, guess I just got lazy. Thanks for the friendly advice!
                          www.EarningsCoach.com
                          www.SmartMove.biz

Comment

Hi earnings....
                            What I said early was not meant to offend but hopefully lighten the mood a little. Didn't work did it? I think it really proves the point that stating a view on politics and/or religion can quite quickly divide the waters.

I think it an excellent idea that you have plans to develop a blog on your views... there are many good ones out there. You don't want anything to detract from your website. You have about 30 seconds to grab someone's attention and keep them on your site... it would be a shame to lose a potential customer over a political difference.

That was a great example motoxxx gave...

By the way... I think your site has some great potential and can't wait to see it when it is finished.
                            Naturally Yours,
                            Dori
                            www.earthelixirs.com
                            www.earthelixirsinc.com
                            www.mineralmakeupdiva.com
                            www.virtualdesigndiva.com
                            www.enhancemineralcosmetics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dori
                              Hi earnings....
                              What I said early was not meant to offend but hopefully lighten the mood a little. Didn't work did it? I think it really proves the point that stating a view on politics and/or religion can quite quickly divide the waters.

That was a great example motoxxx gave...

By the way... I think your site has some great potential and can't wait to see it when it is finished.
                              Hi, thanks for the revisit. Was feeling a bit persecuted (lol). As you may be able to see I have taken the advice given, lost the political stuff as well as the "landing page".

On a separate note: visited your site and it looks great, however the first two links I went to were 404 error msg pages. Oversight? Maybe an "under construction" page would do the trick?

http://www.earthelixirsinc.com/be_a_rep.html
                              http://www.earthelixirsinc.com/contact_us.html

Pete
                              www.EarningsCoach.com
                              www.SmartMove.biz

Comment

Working...
                              X