Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Too Simple?

Hi everyone from Italy.

I've just completed my first site and have got it backed up with an adwords campaign. It offers web writing services, particularly to non-native speakers of English. Could I have your feedback please? In particular I have some concerns:

Do you think the site design is too simple? Does it need more photos and things? (I really like clear simple sites but maybe other people don't?)

Also I have put my rates up, is that a mistake do you think?

Thanks very much!
    Fiona www.spiderywriting.com

Re: Site Too Simple?

Personally, I refrain from posting rates or prices for creative services up front (each project is more than simply a time matter, or a "word count" for instance). I prefer to evaluate the entire scope, the depth of creative development required, and the nature of the original intent (to deliver precisely within expectation and personal standards). However, up-front pricing does work well for straight fee-for-service as in translation, or depositions......thus my illustration between "shopping cart" and "creative."

Too simple? On the contrary!

Take a look at my similar site, and tell me if mine is too simple!
    (It was felt that this design would properly convey the base strength of the purpose of the enterprise, the services offered, and the narrow focus of the profession itself)

You did fine, Fiona! Quite nice.....
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Wow! I see what you mean Vasili - so your site is actually just two pages and very simple. How does that work for you? I must say I loved it although I tried to clink on menu along the bottom and couldn't but guess that is the point.

I agree about pricing and I think I will take that down.

Do you find a form like yours works better than an email address? I'm not sure how to do one as the Vodahost instructions seem very complicated.

Thanks for your positive comments, I feel much encouraged!

Fiona www.spiderywriting.com

Comment

LOL
        I have a Main page, a Contact page, the "required" Policies page, and the submission / with responding "Thank You" pages.......what more could I want? What more does the visitor need?

Visitors will decide to participate in this limited opportunity or to simply pass it up based on all I have presented. I need not "sell" them anything.
        The ***** ones will pick up my expertise of composition by the web design itself...I welcome those clients. The others I reserve the right to serve!

It works great! I am proud of my work (my reputation is preserved), the clients are satisfied with the overwhelming value for what they recieve, and the added revenue adds to my continued personal satisfaction.
        Is there more?

If email forms in the ABVPF are too much, search out Andy128's profile, and link to his version....a form is strongly advised!

Keep in mind though, that (being simply designed and Content-lean) my site is the SEO oddball, and does not rely on the common metrics: almost all of the visitors and clients find and access the site by referral, not by Search! This is very much purposely designed, as I would not be able to process a greater workload.......and not fulfilling growing requests may create an adverse reputation that gets around as quickly as being a rip-off!

Comment

Fiona!

You work quickly! Poof! Prices gone, "Contact Me For Quote" is up........too cute!

Here is the link you should follow for a secure email form that is very easy to follow, and effectively performs with undeniable confidence: http://netisopen.com/computer/web/webpagestuff.html

Comment

Hi, simple is good for me. lol. A small logo may be nice, “not sure if it should be a spider” unless it’s a friendly looking one.
            I think I would bring your portfolio page links onto the main menu. They look quite important & seem a little lost on there own. Few of the pages need centring.

But looking good otherwise.
            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks Chris, I added a couple of pages and forgot to centre them, so thanks for pointing it out. Agree about a small logo although have to bear in mind as you said that not everyone likes spiders! (I do.) Will move portfolio!

Thanks again
              Fiona

Comment

Thank you Vasali - I write quickly too! Interesting comments about your site and service too, I completely see where you are coming from as it is a great site to show people for referrals. In fact, that was my aim initially but I am now enjoying myself! Plus BlueVoda is so easy to use.

Thanks for link to forms, that may take me a bit longer!

Best
                Fiona

Comment

Hi Fiona,

Simple is good, easy to read and navigate....I do agree with Chris though a logo would look good ..spider? spiders web maybe? ..nice work well done.
                  Click the link below for page guidelines (no more sideways scroll)

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...eferrerid=5490

How to Center your page
                  http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...tml#post124746

Comment

Excellent Fiona! Clean, clear, crisp and to the point. I agree with the above posts... keep up the good work!

Vasili... you will never cease to amaze me... I like this site!
                    Naturally Yours,
                    Dori
                    www.earthelixirs.com
                    www.earthelixirsinc.com
                    www.mineralmakeupdiva.com
                    www.virtualdesigndiva.com
                    www.enhancemineralcosmetics.com

Comment

Just a couple of idea’s for you
                      Tworzenie stron internetowych to specjalność Spider Design. Zapewniamy kompleksową obsługę graficzną i reklamową. Mamy ponad 20 lat doświadczenia. Sprawdź!

http://www.collectors-info.com/testing/spider.html Sorry! Couldn’t resist!

The word web in an image comes to mind.

Good luck.
                      Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks so much for your encouraging replies!

Chris can I use the red image you sent ìs there copyright or something? Let me know as I like it!

Best wishes
                        Fiona

at present a logo-free zone - but not for long...

Comment

I would imagine so. I pinched of this site.

Have a Google search & brows through the images. Another good search engine these days in MS Live & look though the image style search. Think Google will have to do some catching up with this one.
                          Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info
                            Just a couple of idea’s for you
                            http://www.staniek.bmp.net.pl/index2.htm

http://www.collectors-info.com/testing/spider.html Sorry! Couldn’t resist!

The word web in an image comes to mind.

Good luck.
                            Chris is being extremely helpful (as always!).
                            Ever since last night, I too have been musing a logo of sorts.....and this morning, I think I have accepted the concept and image in my head as viable, memorable, and "relevant" to your enterprise (this is where I delegate to the graphically talented, no time to do it myself nowadays):

How about an image of a "web" in your left corner of your header (lower left, arched to 1/5 top) upon which sits a spider typing at 2 computer keyboards...(making use of multiple "arms", demonstrating efficiency and capability) ??????

If not done too cartoonish, it will negate any negative connotations, and still be professionally recognizable (a brand) that conveys your focus: web optimization and writing ----the multiple keyboards.

OK....I'm done for now. Back in a week or so!
                            Have fun!

Comment

Simple works good for me - however you mention on two pages that you are familiar with SEO - yet these pages aren't following basic SEO necessary protocol. If anyone knows that, they might shy away.
                              Beth
                              A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                              X