Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best wiki and forum software?

Hi All!

I'm building a wiki and forum site and wanted to ask around before I got too deep in.

1) Do I have to stay with the package I start with? I assume I'll lose all data if I switch. I don't imagine the "old" data base could be read by a different package but I figured I'd ask.

2) I'm using phpbb (fantastico) for the forum and set up a basic design easily. I'm also looking at the yabb fourm from the control panel. Anyone have comments on which is the best to use or things I should watch out for?

3) I'm using tikiwiki (fantastico) but am also looking at mediawiki but I'm not sure if I'd be in over my head. I can use ftp and all the basics but look like mediawiki requires sql knowledge. MW looks better but I might need some help... (hint, hint, lol)

My sites are just shells now but I'd hate to start building them out only to find I should have used a different package for some basic reason I'm unaware of now.

I like the simple packages like phpbb but am willing to learn the more involved stuff if that's what I should be doing.

One of the reasons I like Vodahost is because of the great support forums. All my questions so far have been answered by searching the forums and using the tutorials. Many thanks to all!
    Jim,

Re: Best wiki and forum software?

1.Hi, its not a thing I can do, but I believe that database information is quite easy to transfer in the right hands & maybe a little script to enable this. Naval may be a good one on this. (Depends how much info you have & if it’s very important)
    2. I can only say that there is quite a few using phpbb & help may be more readily available.
    3.Pass, Sorry.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Re: Best wiki and forum software?

Go with phpBB. It's much more customizable and, as Chris mentioned, it'll be easier to get help here since a few of us are familiar with it.

If you decide later that you want to try a different forum software, it's not difficult to move the data from old forum to new.

I glanced at the wiki scripts and the best thing I can tell you is to choose the one that looks best to you and offers the functionality you need. You don't really need much mysql knowledge with either, as the scripts handle most of that for you during installation.
      My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Working...
      X