SSL Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL Certificate

I'm not sure where to start this thread but since the site I am working with now is in Soholaunch I will try it here.
    I have been reviewing the tutorial for the cpanel about trusted certificates.
    I purchased a SSL certificate when I purchased my Vodahost account and wish to use it now for this new storefront I am building in Soho. I use authorize.net and if I understand correctly from some of the other threads I have read through I need to SSL Cert. to process the orders from my site.
    This being said - Here is the question.
    Can I use this same SSL for several different domains? The main domain for this account is www.rfidtagsplus.com but the site I am working on right now uses the domain name www.kcknittinganddesign.com which I have put as an 'addon' domain. When I generate a new key to use with KC Knitting, do I need to put in KC Knitting or rfidtags where it asks for 'host' and says 'select domain'? Can I create more than one private key for use with this SSL certificate and different domains?
    Hope this makes sense, Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Laura
    www.kcknittinganddesign.com

Re: SSL Certificate

An SSL certificate can only be used on one site/domain. Should you need to have an SSL with more domains, you'll need to purchase separate ones.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

You can purchase a wildcard certificate that covers more than one domain, not sure how it works. If you use one issued to the first site on the second site it will make for errors.. and I believe thats what you did.. I remember looking at your site and seeing that name.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

And btw.. that will chase your customers off lickety split!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks for the info!
          Laura

Comment

I guess I need to ask more questions about this.
            Since I purchased the SSL Certificate at the same time that I purchased the domain name rfidtagsplus.com does that mean this SSL certificate has to be used with that domain name or can it be used with the kcknittinganddesign.com domain which I pointed to this account?
            If I can use this one with kcknittingand design.com then am I right to say that I wouldn't need another SSL Cerificate until I am ready to build rfidtagsplus.com?
            So far, I haven't set anything up in the cpanel for the SSL Certificate even though I have indicated in the shopping cart that there is a SSL Certificate which I think is what Karen is seeing.
            I am really lost about what all needs to be done to make this work.
            Thanks,
            Laura

Comment

Laura,

NO you cant USE that SSL on another site. The path that you put into soho has to match the soho domain name or you are going to have the errors your wrote about in your shopping cart.

You can only have one dedicated ip and ssl per account. You will have to purchase another account if you want to get an SSL for the soho site, and rebuild on that site.

An SSL is issued to an Individual or company. There is a WILD CARD SSL but I am not sure how it works, but I do believe youd still have to have the seperate accounts to accomodate it. Generally speaking the SSL and the DOMAIN MATCH UP.

If you werent running a shopping cart you might get off with it, but generally speaking, shopping cart software demands the use of the domain and the ssl. You could build the soho on the main domain, and use it to house ALL your stores products, but you wont be able to run more than one ssl, so you could use it to check out, but your customers need to know up front they are being redirected to a different site for checkout and no warnings come up. So you could build a front in BV then link to the soho cart/checkout.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac
                Laura,

You could build the soho on the main domain, and use it to house ALL your stores products, but you wont be able to run more than one ssl, so you could use it to check out, but your customers need to know up front they are being redirected to a different site for checkout and no warnings come up. So you could build a front in BV then link to the soho cart/checkout.

Karen
                Karen,
                I'm not sure I understand this last paragraph but I wonder if it might be worth my consideration. Could you help me understand how that would work?
                When I did the addon, it gives me a domain - www.kcknittinganddesign.rfidtagsplus.com
                Would that work for the certificate?
                Thanks,
                Laura

Comment

Here is another question I have about this.
                  Does Voda automatically install my SSL at the time of purchase since I purchased hosting, SSL certificate and free domain name at the same time, or do I need to follow the instructions under trusted certificates in the Voda User Manual?
                  Should I ask this in a different forum or room?
                  Thanks,
                  Laura

Comment

Laura NO>. that will NOT work. An SSL is issued to the EXACT NAME and you didnt register it as soandso.subdomain.com. I have no idea how voda installed your account or certificate.. youd have to ask them. Youd get the answer to that by putting in a support ticket.

I meant that.. you could make pages with blue voda, different domains but all your products would have to link up to the soho site.. so youd have to code them to the shopping cart, which would have the ssl.

An ssl and dedicated ip is for the transmission of sensitive data between two computers. The minute you start CHANGING the rules, your credibility is in question. If you try to use the certificate on an unauthorized site, it could result in the certificate being revoked.. and.. the WARNING pops up and tells people that yes.. this has an ssl, but its NOT THE RIGHT NAME SO ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK. So if you want to sell.. there went your customer. I think you need to take five minutes and read about ssl, read about soho, and then make some decisions.

You can only have one dedicated ip and ssl per account. So, if you want this knitting store, with its own ssl or just use paypal, because you cant have two ssl on one account. Use paypal or get another account for the knitting store with its own ssl

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

One possibility - if you purchased the SSL from VH - and you haven't yet had it attached, I suggest you put in a support ticket and find out if they have issued it yet - since it's not yet attached... If not, you have a chance that they can issue it for the store and not the first account. This will have to be taken up with VH and there's no guarantee it can be done - but you have a chance, so put in the support ticket and ask.

As Karen says, you can only have one SSL per account.
                      Beth
                      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Its attatched, which is why shes asking about her shopping cart not showing up right in two other threads..

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I got it! Sorry to be so dense. Here is another question, Karen.
                          In the 'Other Hosting' room on SOL forum, you talked about using SIM or AIM with authorize.net. I use authorize.net so I could also possibly use the SIM method right? Can you tell me how to do that? Or maybe auth.net can tell me how to make that work?
                          If I understood you right, the customer then goes off my site to auth.net and then has to come back to complete the order. So does it work kind of like PayPal and if so is there any reason to use both?
                          Thanks,
                          Laura
                          www.kcknittinganddesign.com

Comment

LOL..OYYYYYY VEYYYYYYY..

Soho doesnt allow you to use SIM, Simple integration method, It uses AIM, advanced integration method. SIM works similar to paypal in that you go to the authorize.net site to complete the transaction, and I havent finished setting up sinfully, but I assume yes authorize kicks them back to your thank you for your order page, automatically. You can ask the soho gurus, but I didnt see a way to set soho up for SIM, could be they might be able to alter it for u.. but then youd have to do it every time it was updated.. i think..

As far as to using both paypal and authorize.. paypal allows for echeck.. and I reckon that would be the only reason to have both..

And LAURA.. why didnt u tell me this was you and just ASK ME??? Im inundated with requests right now, but I would have called you to FIX IT!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

What I would do if i were you Laura, is go where you bought the certificate..I dunno where you bought it, and ask them if they will reissue it in the SOHO store name. If not, buy a new certificate for this store...after you have asked voda if they will reinstall the certificate to the soho domain. Then just let the other one die...the dedicated ip part wouldnt change, the codes on your ssl certificate would be the difference.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                              X