Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does linking different pages of your website actually work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does linking different pages of your website actually work?

Before I sign up for an account and buy a domain name, I just want to make sure I understand everything. Since you have to publish each page seperatly, how does the linking of them work? Do I need to buy a domain name first, or what?

Re: How does linking different pages of your website actually work?

There is a link button on your workspace and it's a very simple process. You can choose a variety of ways to link, it's all explained in specific tutorials.
    Marcie
    www.redtractorfarm.com
    www.iloveacorns.com
    www.halfkilofeta.com

Comment

You can find tutorials on all aspects of BlueVoda and building a website by visiting this page and exploring the tutorials and guides. You cannot publish a website without a domain and hosting account but it's fine to build your pages first and then set up your account and domain. Remember that your hyperlinks will not work until your site is published so you should allow time for testing and changing things after you have published your site.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I guess I didn't explain myself clearly: How do I get it so that each page corresponds to a certain URL so the linking can actually work. I've watched all of those tutorials, and none of them have answered my question.

Comment

Yes, this is explained very clearly in the tutorials
          But briefly:
          If you buy a domain - www.domain.com
          That page would be named index - and any time anyone put www.domain.com in their browser - the index page would come up. Now you would make individual pages with their names, say a page called aboutus. You would save it as aboutus. You would now link to that page using the following url: www.domain.com/aboutus.html (this is presuming you are publishing your pages as html).

Etc etc for each page.

I suggest you go back and watch the tutorial again on naming your pages.
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Probably should.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers
              Yes, this is explained very clearly in the tutorials
              But briefly:
              If you buy a domain - www.domain.com
              That page would be named index - and any time anyone put www.domain.com in their browser - the index page would come up. Now you would make individual pages with their names, say a page called aboutus. You would save it as aboutus. You would now link to that page using the following url: www.domain.com/aboutus.html (this is presuming you are publishing your pages as html).

Etc etc for each page.

I suggest you go back and watch the tutorial again on naming your pages.
              but is it possible to test the links at BlueVoda Preview? do i need to buy a domain first ? ty

Comment

Really, should one buy domain first in order to see how linking works, i cannot view my pages on localhost, and i dont wanna buy a domain.

Comment

I think that initial question was quite clear but I see that 'generals' do not get it.
                  The question is simple: can I see how my site works in PREVIEW including linking between pages?

Sure, if I am satisfied, I will publish it or edit it more. If I do not have an account to publish, I will buy it. So, should I buy an account to just preview my design? (other vendors allow for fully functional sited to run in preview)

The problem with links in preview is in that all URL for all links have to be specified as absolute URL (according to the rules) while for a preview we need related URLs. I think, that reliable solution would be having all URLs as related, by default, and automatically replacing them by the absolute ones (based on the bought domain) during the publishing process.

Comment

I believe the Generals have been very clear in relaying the message that in order for you to view your site in full working capacity, a web hosting account is required, since you need to publish your site for this to happen and to publish you need an account.

You can in the meantime preview each page individually in your own web browser to see how your site is looking.

I believe they also pointed out to get used to the web builder, view the tutorials, and see how it all works, including the knowledge of "How To Link Pages Together".

I believe the Generals have done very well in relating this message and would only like to see more users of this forum actually use the search feature to find answers to this question that is repeated more than 20 times daily.

Good Job Generals!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                    02036089024 / United Kingdom
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                    X