centering web page problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• centering web page problems

I am having problems centering my web page. Once published, previewed in IE for example the page looks fine, open the page in MSN for example and the page appears way to the right and partially off the screen. When I ask the support desk for help, the response I received was to search the net for a script that might rectify the problem. I done that, tried to manually insert <center> in the beginning of the site and </center> and the end of the page. That did not work, obivously I need a different line of code to make this work. Anyone else having these alignment problems and if so how did you correct them. If I knew html I probably would not be so dependent on a WYSIWYG program and I may be simply over looking what I'm sure the bluevoda designers have already figured out. Any suggestions will be of great help!

regards,

ctweb

are you using the center in brower option found in "page properties"
    www.bluevodaexchangelink.com
    BluevodaExchangeLink Help Center
    Bluevodaexchangelink Forum

The only place for bluevoda site to be linked with!

Comment

Thanks for replying Mad Dog

Yes, I've tried that as well still when published displays far right in some browsers. I preview my work of course on my browser Internet Explore and it looks fine.

Comment

There are so may differant way people view the internet, you can make for all people, if its any help IE has ove 98% hit on my web site.

You can find a script to change you page depending on user, just do a internet search
        www.bluevodaexchangelink.com
        BluevodaExchangeLink Help Center
        Bluevodaexchangelink Forum

The only place for bluevoda site to be linked with!

Comment

Make sure your page dimensions are 800x600(just worry about width).
          ::Steven.H::

Comment

I agree with Steve

First you want your page to be browser friendly, width is more important than height. When I centre my pages I normally use the coordinate system found on the bottom right side of the Blue Voda program. It takes a little more time but I find it works alot better. Maybe leave a link so we can all have a look. pet121

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. I guess leaving you something to look at might have been appropriate. Sorry about that. I've been told the site looks terrible in msn browser; way off to the right. You judge http://www.ctwebpromotions.com.

On the issue of page width since it was brought up is another little puzzle to me. I can size a page for example 765 pxs wide, work on the site for a while, check the page properties again. Darn page has grown to 885 or some weird number.

I should mention, as you will be able to tell by reviewing the above site that I am a newbie to the web design business so it could simply be me and the intense learning cure I must continue to struggle with.

Any event, thanks for the information!

Tom

Comment

cteb

Well I had a chance to look at your site. In my browser it views far right. I have had this happen to me once, when I used centre in browser option. Also you have a horizontal scroll bar. Before you publish be sure there is no horizontal scroll bar that can scroll. Once I left a letter beyond the page demensions to the right and the demsions on my page were way different. Before publishing just double check in your page properties the demensions of the page. 800 wide is good, there should be no functionning horizontal scroll bar even in static mode. Now with no horizontal scroll bar, centre your page. when done centreing you should have about a inch of dead space on each side of you page with no horiz scroll bar. As far as using the option centre in browser I do not use it instead I use the cooridinate system and the grid option. This seems to work good for me. Because the horizontal scroll bar is annoying a page demension of 800 wide is very browser friendly. By this I mean more people can view your page via laptop, 15 inch monitors ect...

One more thing when you open a new page with blue voda the blank page is 1000 wide. So you want 200 left on each side with no functionning horizontal scroll bar.

I hope this helps. This is the technique I used and it worked very well. But wait for more feedback. pet121

Comment

cteb

I new I woked up to early today. Your page is centred in my browser. I correct myself you should leave 100 on each side not 200 to centre. The only thing I can think out is make sure when you look at the site from msn your page is fully open. Also I checked for browser support issues I think there were only nine problems which is very good. I do not think this may be the case but is it possible msn cache the uncorrected page?

Comment

BlueVoda is a WYSIWYG (What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get) Web Builder.
                    This means that every HTML object will have the same size and position in every browser. This also means that if the screen resolution of the viewers PC is different than the computer you've designed your page on, it will look different: it's the same page (in pixel size) viewed on a smaller or larger screen.

Here are a few tips for the best results:
                    - Set the Page properties to 800x600
                    - Enable the Guide Borders and set them to the same size.
                    - Make sure all page contents stays between the guide borders
                    - Enable 'Center to browser' in Page Properties
                    Forum Moderator
                    BlueVoda Spe******t

Comment

Working...
                    X