Vista Ultimate installation problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Ultimate installation problems

I just installed Windows Vista Ultimate on my laptop. I have a ******* Satellite Intel Centrino with dual processor and 1G of ram. So nothing Vista should have too many problems with. What is my computer still level? I have owned about 7 computers in my life. I can do pretty much everything but programming. I'm not a computer nerd, but I'm smarter than any of my friends when it comes to computers. I'm not trying to be technical here, only speaking in layman's language. The upgrade took about 2 hours. I installed it on top of Windows XP so I could keep all my files and settings. Everything seemed to go smooth. I did the Advisor before hand and deleted the programs that Vista said were not compatible. The advisor had no big issues. I logged on and found out my antivirus from Computer Associates no longer works. I am trying to figure it out. I've tried to do a complete uninstall of my antivirus but it would not accept it. So I did a reinstall but still no luck with the latest program from Computer Associates website. The website says there are issues to still be resolved. I can tell something is really messed up. So I will figure it out later. Also have a few drivers not working. Nothing seems to affect the computer now though. I guess I will find out later when I actually use the drivers in question. I did restart once and it immediately told me I had a driver problem. I clicked cancel and it popped up again. I click cancel and it popped up again... it did it 4 times! So that was kinda irritating. The drive was from Sonic. I'll find out if I need it later. It doesn't affect my computer use now. Also Windows Defender is a part of Vista so it found a way to block all my network connections with my family computers. Spent a hour trying to fix it but just decided to turn it off so I can make network connections. And I did the Windows update. It said I needed 8 critical updates and 12 optional updates. This is a mess. I downloaded the updates and half of them failed. Did it again, and still can't install half of them. And doing some of the language updates took forever! I left my computer on at night and they still were not done in the morning, so big problem here. So I'll ignore these updates for now. As for the computer... everything works the same. I don't see any increase in speed as everyone talked about. I don't see any quicker start up. Same.. have to wait. To be honest... I see no improvement. Why did I spend $340? I will probably end up doing a clean install because so far.. only the upgrade sucks! Well, the computer does move smoother... thats the only improvement I see. I tried to do the photo gallery because Microsoft bragged about it so much, but when I went there and told it to browse my photo folders... it said it will slow down my computer a bunch while it brings them to the Photo Gallery? I'm not sure what it was doing, but I didn't have time to wait for it to display all my photos, which are in the thousands. It felt like it was moving them! The old windows exployer is much faster and easier to work with. Maybe I'll learn the tricks on how to use the photo gallery later since I paid big bucks for it! End result. Not worth the money. I have other computers in my home I wanted to upgrade too. Microsoft has a family plan that allows any Ultimate owner to buy 2 additional keys for $49 each. That is the main reason I got the expensive Vista Ultimate. But for the improvement I see now that I've had Windows Vista for about 15 hours.... it is not worth it. My only other option is to do a clean install and start from scratch. Then I can see if that is the best way to use Vista. ...... not happy! I guess I'll do that later today because I'm getting tired of trying to patch this thing up.

Re: Vista Ultimate installation problems

Sorry to hear all your troubles with Vista .... but this is a great post, hope many read it ... thanks for sharing ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hello newvistaowner.
      I am sorry for all vistatroubble you got but you not alone.
      Vista does not work yet and you should be waiting for a year or so until microsoft have solved all of their problem.
      Your computer is to small for running this big operating system.
      Have a nice weekend.
      Arve Thornes

Comment

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Rather than upgrading the other PC's keep XP on them. When the time comes to get a new PC, then you can go to Vista.
        Best to have 2G RAM for Vista and then watch for the video card, some new laptops use a chip that simulates backgrounds.
        Bill
        www.blueearthtea.com
        www.ftaaconsulting.com
        www.iaval.com
        www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Thanks for the informative review. I guess I will stick to my XP.

Abu
          www.siapamoyanganda.com/
          Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
          State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

There isnt a fear to have to stick to XP.
            Vista is a new program and it has more blloopps than XP did in its time...
            Give it a chance.
            personally Im not having a great time with vista and Id wait a bit..lol
            but I think all will be just fine..once its finally OUT there and used and the knowledge is based...

Comment

why does a brilliant man like bill gates allow his company to release unfinished and shoddy products, i mean this man is americas self made richest man? if i understood linux i would even know vista existed. also yeah cool post i was thinking about building a new pc with vista ultimate installed but jyst think i'll wait a-while
              bluerovers
              www.bluerovers.co.nz
              www.five-a-side.co.nz

Comment

Ha-ha money wasted!!!!!!! why the hell upgrade lol, if you thought about it for a minute before upgrading you would of relized a few things.

1. To upgrade you need win xp 'yes' but if you want to reformatt your pc and reload #$%% vista you have to reinstall xp first.

2. Time wasted for upgrading pricless lol...

3. Paying money for windows a upgrade of windows millenium 2 priceless ha-ha

sorry mate Bill Gates has got ya.
                Dave Hickey

www.youngstroke.org.nz

www.eko.co.nz

Comment

Dear friend Bluerovers
                  Bill Gates should learn from this man,Mark Shuttleworth(ubuntu)
                  He hates microsoft deeply and if you will tray linuxworld you can do that without no cost at all Ubuntu will send an cd too you free(worldwide)version
                  FEISTY FAWN.
                  Here is the link www.ubuntu.com

Comment

Ubuntu is a great platform. Vista has its ups and downs, not everyone likes it but when you have a corporation with so much money, nobody cares anymore.

I like Vista, my friends don't .. they like to stay with XP .. but I heard there is a Windows XP SP3 coming out, and this fall there is Vista SP1 coming out as well.
                    Best regards,
                    Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Windows Update Issues

For all the errors related to Windows Update site, please make sure that you are troubleshooting as per the sequence given below:
                      Click on Start, and then Click Run
                      Type CMD and press Enter key
                      In the DOS window, type NET START WUAUSERV and press Enter key
                      Check for the message, if you are not getting message like "The requested service has already been started." Or "The Automatic Update Service was started successfully". Then the service may be corrupt.
                      Then you need to reinstall Automatic Update service, follow the steps given below to reinstall the service:
                      Click on Start, and then Click Run
                      Type INF and press Enter key
                      INF folder will open, look for AU.INF file (.INF file extension may not be visible)
                      Right Click on AU.INF and Click Install
                      It will ask for "wuapi.dll" file, click on Browse button
                      Select the location as "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386" folder, click on "wuapi.dll" and then Click Open, Click Ok and the service will be installed.
                      Start other required services
                      § Click on Start, and then Click Run
                      § Type the following commands and press Enter key after each one.
                      § NET START BITS
                      § NET START CRYPTSVC
                      Re-register Windows Update ActiveX controls:
                      § Click on Start, and then Click Run
                      § Type the following file re-registering commands and press Enter key after every command

1) REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL
                      2) REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
                      3) REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
                      4) REGSVR32 WUAUSERV.DLL
                      5) REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
                      6) REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
                      7) REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

Access the site and check the status of the issue, if the issue is not resolved follow the next set of instructions.
                      Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" and "CatRoot2" folders
                      Click on Start, and then Click on Run
                      Type CMD and press Enter key
                      In the DOS window, type the following commands and press Enter key after each command
                      1) NET STOP BITS
                      2) NET STOP WUAUSERV
                      3) NET STOP CRYPTSVC
                      4) REN C:\WINDOWS\SOFTWAREDISTRIBUTION SD1
                      5) REN C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CatRoot2 CR2
                      6) NET START BITS
                      7) NET START WUAUSERV
                      NET START CRYPTSVC
                      Access the site and check the status of the issue.
                      If the issue is not resolved, check whether there are any software’s like Pop-up Blocker/ Spy Ware/ Antivirus/ Firewall etc. There may be issues accessing Windows Update site if Norton Internet Security (NIS) is installed on the system, we can try to disable the service.

Please let me know me know if the windows update issue is fixed.

Comment

Working...
                      X