Getting rid of Spyware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of Spyware

I have some Spyware on my computer. I have McAfee security and everytime I startup, a message comes up saying something along the lines of

'Spyware Virus vbs/psyme detected and removed' It then suggest I scan my computer and when I do, it shows no viruses.

The first time this happened I thought it was successfully deleted, but now everytime I start up it comes up with this, so it seems as though the problem is being contained but not completely erased.

Anyone have any tips on getting rid of this for good. I've tried some ideas from special virus forums and scanned my machine with a seemingly endless supply of virus scanners, but nothing seems to delete it completely.
    http://www.myworldsouthamerica.com
    http://www.ethicalasia.com

Re: Getting rid of Spyware

Several options. You can do a search for different programs or download the free versions of SpyBot, Ad-Aware SE or CCleaner.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Spybot and Ad-aware SE occasionally conflict and when they do- it ain't pretty. I don't have much good to say about McAffee and/or Norton. They are the two most highly targeted programs for trojan/virus/hacks/spyware/worms at the moment.

Did you see this?
      http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/defau...virus_k=100749

First- download CCcleaner here. http://www.ccleaner.com/ and run it.

RESTART THE COMPUTER

Then I suggest Spy Bot search and destroy here: http://www.spybot.info/en/home/index.html and run it as bill suggested.

Download Windows defender here: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
      Install and run. Take appropriate action for what ever is found.

Make sure you have all updates and extra tools offered by McAffee. Empty the virus vault.

RESTART THE COMPUTER.

Run the McAffee scan.

If it is found again- then post back and we'll bump it up to the next level.

Andy
      PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Andy is right,
        I only use Ad-Aware SE. Had to get rid of SpyBot.
        Also have CCCleaner is pretty good.
        Bill
        www.blueearthtea.com
        www.ftaaconsulting.com
        www.iaval.com
        www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Ad-Aware SE Is really good. I was told that Ad-Aware and SpyBot go hand in hand, but it isnt as good as Ad-Aware so I only use that now.

Hope you got rid of the spyware!
          Regards
          Teri

Comment

I have very good luck using AdAware SE, SpyBot and CCleaner.

One should note that with CCleaner that if you are not absolutely certain about deleting a file that you find using this tool, don't remove it. Be very certain you aren't removing something that your system or prgram needs. I learned this lesson the hard way about 2 years ago....

The other really good free program I use is XCleaner Free by Face Time and
            SpyWare Blaster that acts like a filter for your computer. Since using SpyWare Blaster my spyware and mallware problems are almost non existent. SpyWare Blaster is very good and its also free!

For the virus stuff, I have used McAfee and Norton in the past but for the past two years I have been using Trend Micro PC Cillin and it far surpasses all of the other programs I have used. Two years now and no viruses at all!

Works for me!
            Affordable Medical Insurance
            Discount Dental Plan
            Washington State Health Insurance
            Temporary Health Insurance
            Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

Hi all,

never heard of some of these but will take note... :-

I've had good results from Spybot, and ZoneAlarm - the firewall (with some restrictions) is free and antivirus $20 for a year - not bad - and it keeps me clean (I hope!!!!!!!!!! lol)

cheers

Will
              PS sometimes my computer gets slow with lots of windows open, plus I have tons of icons on my desktop - anyone know if these slow things down? Tks.
              A manual to help small-business owners . http://www.entrepreneurshipz.com

Comment

How much RAM does your computer have? But yes that can slow things down. If you have alot of things on your computer but have a small hard drive, then that will slow it down as well.

Regards
                Teri

Comment

Clean out your virus vault within your anti-virus program. The virus was removed but sounds like your program is configured to continue trying to restore the file ... It's a file you do not need. And if it is a file you need, well guess what, it's infected ... so again, you don't need it ...

AVG Anti-Virus and Avast are both free anti-virus software ... I use AVG, have done so for 5 years, totally free, and totally virus free ...

Grisoft is an excellent place for tools and readings to keep your computer safe ... click here

You have to remember, your anti-virus, and adaware programs you use are only as good as you allow them to be - by this I mean keeping them up-to-date .. it's not unusual to go to your "live-update" in either program four or five times a day and find a new update .... with that in mind, if a new virus comes out at 11:00 am and your anti-virus program does not yet have that new definition in their program, or you have not taken the update for it, your program cannot protect you from it ... this is how viruses are discovered, some unlucky person gets hit, submits the info to their anti-virus provider and a new definition to abort this virus from entering your computer is made ... sometimes five and six times a day .. far worse for businesses who are networked than a home user. And it can be at different times for different anti-virus programs. I've seen all anti-virus programs be ahead or behind of the competition at different times.

In so far as free anti-virus programs, they are free, and give you one live update daily, other than that you have to manually go and install updates .. not a bad deal for being free.

And of equal importance is your updates with microsoft - just be careful not to take the IE7 update - there are far too many issues with it currently, and different for all users, none for some and some have them all ....

The icons on your desktop only take extra time loading on start-up ..

Any program you have running in the background will delay your surfing, a good place to check is right clicking on your bottom tool bar and go to task manager ... this will tell you all programs that are running in the background ... if uncertain what a program is - type in the name of it in google search and read up about it, you will be able to determine if it is a vital operating program or a spy that has installed itself somehow when downloading something on the internet ...

Just my input ... hope it helps you understand ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                  02036089024 / United Kingdom
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye

And of equal importance is your updates with microsoft - just be careful not to take the IE7 update - there are far too many issues with it ....
                    Great advice! It freezes all the damn time!

Comment

Thanks for the help, but.....

Ran virus scanners like AdAware, AVG, McAfee, downloaded Windows Defender, Spyware blaster etc..

I also ran CCleaner which got rid of all my temp internet files, which I thought would help.

However each time I run a virus/spyware scan and restart, my McAfee tells me it has found the same Spyware file.

It's still lurking somewhere, but non of the scans are finding it.
                      http://www.myworldsouthamerica.com
                      http://www.ethicalasia.com

Comment

Hey Teri, Lady & Moto (Machiavelli too, this is after all your post, lol)

tks for all the advice - installed Spyware Blaster, I figure a filter is better than having the stuff on the puter, to be cleaned out! But will still run Spybot if neccessary :-

Disabled Automatic Updates for IE7! Tks for that. Microsoft strikes again... grr... lol.

No, I have lotsa RAM, I think it was a combo of a minor Trojan I picked up, and using IE, not Firefox. Since using FF mostly it is much better. IE sucks!

ZoneAlarm rocks tho, in my opinion... funny how no-one else seems to rave about it? lol.

Machiavelli, I'm no expert on this subject but I have some spyware that ZA etc keeps picking up in scans, but it also doesnt seem to be able to actually remove it. In my opinion some of the stuff IS contained, not removed, and doesnt damage. One just have to live with it. I could be wrong of course but in my experience it won't harm and you just swing with it.

Hope this helps!

Will
                        A manual to help small-business owners . http://www.entrepreneurshipz.com

Comment

Will - ZoneAlarm is fantastic!

Comment

Your anti-virus is not really designed to remove spyware. Getting deep into the registry or root of things is what may be necessary to cure your problem. Please see my note below as a precaution before you attempt any of this yourself. You do not have to live with this, nor should you.

You see, a lot of pests are designed with registry keys to re-install them even after uninstalling. There are free adaware programs and there are paid for programs. I have found it useful to download a trial version of Spy Doctor, who actually scans your computer and lists these hkeys, etc. showing you where these spys are residing. Although the trial version does not remove these keys, you have the path to their root, and manually can do so yourself.

Any software that covertly gathers user information through the user's Internet connection without his or her knowledge, usually for advertising purposes. Spyware applications are typically bundled as a hidden component of freeware or shareware programs that can be downloaded from the Internet; however, it should be noted that the majority of shareware and freeware applications do not come with spyware. Once installed, the spyware monitors user activity on the Internet and transmits that information in the background to someone else. Spyware can also gather information about e-mail addresses and even passwords and credit card numbers.
                            Spyware is similar to a Trojan horse in that users unwittingly install the product when they install something else. A common way to become a victim of spyware is to download certain peer-to-peer file swapping products that are available today.
                            Aside from the questions of ethics and privacy, spyware steals from the user by using the computer's memory resources and also by eating bandwidth as it sends information back to the spyware's home base via the user's Internet connection. Because spyware is using memory and system resources, the applications running in the background can lead to system crashes or general system instability.
                            Because spyware exists as independent executable programs, they have the ability to monitor keystrokes, scan files on the hard drive, snoop other applications, such as chat programs or word processors, install other spyware programs, read cookies, change the default home page on the Web browser, consistently relaying this information back to the spyware author who will either use it for advertising/marketing purposes or sell the information to another party.
                            Licensing agreements that accompany software downloads sometimes warn the user that a spyware program will be installed along with the requested software, but the licensing agreements may not always be read completely because the notice of a spyware installation is often couched in obtuse, hard-to-read legal disclaimers. www.webopedia.com

The difference between adware & Spyware - Click Here

A list of pests can be found here - Click here

The process or dll library – check your running processes here. To see what processes are running on your computer, click your task manager, found in your lower toolbar, be sure to tick show processes from all users. Click Here

grc - shield test, leak test, unplug & pray, useful safe computing tips Click Here

Missing software patches – They all can be found click here.

A computing forum - click here

A guide to removing spyware - click here

If you are uncomfortable booting your computer into safe mode, removing and editing registry keys, you should seek help. This is all free advice from my best sources, but I do not take any responsibility if you do not read or comprehend this information when putting this advice to practice. You need to back up and know what you are doing.

Hope this helps.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Sorry the link does not work for the process or dll library

click here instead

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                              X