Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can I make mp3 files accesable for visitors

Hi there,

I want to make some of our recordings accesable for our fans on www.heinhenderson.com/music.html

With BV webbuilder I can only publish them with Quick Time or Mediaplayer (wich I did) but now people can only play back the songs and not download them so that they may play them with a program of their choice

who will teach this stupid dinosaur rocker????

Re: how can I make mp3 files accesable for visitors

Originally posted by henk hazenberg
    Hi there,

I want to make some of our recordings accesable for our fans on www.heinhenderson.com/music.html

With BV webbuilder I can only publish them with Quick Time or Mediaplayer (wich I did) but now people can only play back the songs and not download them so that they may play them with a program of their choice

who will teach this stupid dinosaur rocker????
    Hi, Henk!

Okay, I've just tested this and it works. Lol

Just upload the mp3 to your server. I prefer to use CoreFTP for this but ftp Manager might work (it doesn't always like huge files). Then place a link to the mp3 on your page. This could be a text or image link - your call. The hyperlink would look something like: http://mydomainname.com/nameofsong.mp3 When visiotrs click on this link a download box will appear asking if the want to save etc...

Hope this helps.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

The part about making a link I undrstand, uploading my mp3`s to my server????....could you take me through this procedure step by step?...like I said...I`m a dinosaur

I asume I have to download this coreftp?

thanks in advance,

Henk

Comment

oh I found ftp manager, I just don`t know how to work with it

Comment

The part about making a link I undrstand, uploading my mp3`s to my server????....could you take me through this procedure step by step?...like I said...I`m a dinosaur

I asume I have to download this coreftp?

thanks in advance,

Henk
          Hi again, Henk.

Yup, you can either download CoreFTP which is a really useful program. It's far superior to the ftp manager that comes with BlueVoda in that it makes larger transfers easier and gives you full viewing access to your server lists. (ftp manager is limited especially when you get to a stage where you have lots of files). It's pretty easy to use too.

Once downloaded and installed you just set up a new connection (using the info you got in your VodaHost welcome email (Username, Password and IP address (in the 99.99.999.99 format)).

Then connect, navigate to your public_html folder on the server side (right hand panel). Use the left hand panel to navigate to the folder on your pc where your mp3 is stored. Then simply use drag and drop to copy files across (from left to right). It keeps you abreast of progress in the lower panel.

Or ... you can upload to your server using your Control Panel (file manager):

Log in to your CP. Click on the File Manager icon. Click on the folder icon next to your Public_html folder name. You will see a list of folders and files. Near the top is an 'Upload File' item with a big black upwards pointing arrow next to it. Click the arrow and a new screen appears. This will let you browse your pc for files and will upload them for you.

Having used all the above methods, I recommend the Coreftp one. It's the easiest and most reliable. If you have any questions - just pop back and ask.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

oh I found ftp manager, I just don`t know how to work with it
            I can't guarantee whether this will work properly (because MP3s are big), but here goes:

1. Click the Connect button (top left).

2. Enter your server details (IP address, username and password, as provided in your welcome email).

3. The left hand panel is your pc and the right hand panel is your server.

4. On the server side (right hand panel)- navigate to the public_html folder, then to where you want to store the mp3, (ie. in a special folder called Music but it's not necessary as long as it's in the public_html folder).

5. On the PC side (left hand panel) - navigate to where you have your MP3s stored.

6. Click and drag from pc (left) to server (right) to copy files across.

7. When it's done you should see the MP3 in the file list on the server.

You have just uploaded a file to your server.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

okay, I`ve uploaded the mp3 files but how do I publish them, I`ve created a link with an arrow called it http://www.heinhenderson.com/thewave.mp3 but nothing happens

Comment

okay, I`ve uploaded the mp3 files but how do I publish them, I`ve created a link with an arrow called it http://www.heinhenderson.com/thewave.mp3 but nothing happens
                Hi.

When you check the list of files on your server - is there an mp3 file called "thewave.mp3" listed? Have you uploaded it to the public_html folder or another one, perhaps? It's difficult for me to know as I cannot see what's on your server.

Maybe you have uploaded them to a new folder within your public_html folder - for example music. If this is the case then your link would be http://www.heinhenderson.com/music/thewave.mp3.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

dear Amanda, thanks a lot, I figured it out now with your pointers

big hug,

Henk from the Netherlands

Comment

dear Amanda, thanks a lot, I figured it out now with your pointers

big hug,

Henk from the Netherlands
                    LOL That's great! And you're welcome, I'm glad I could help.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks Amanda .. This info will help me also... And about uploading ...When you say..."Doesn't like large files"... how large is large??? ... Doug

Comment

Originally posted by dougnez
                        Thanks Amanda .. This info will help me also... And about uploading ...When you say..."Doesn't like large files"... how large is large??? ... Doug
                        Large isn't quantifiable because it depends on different factors. Ftp Manager seems okay for many things like images but, in the past, I have struggled uploading video and music files. Coreftp was recommended to me and I now use it for everything barr publishing. It really does make life easier when uploading to, downloading from and managing my several server accounts. It's a free application btw and I have never experienced any trouble with it in the six months I have been using it.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hi Amanda.. You say.."bar publishing"... What would I use to publish mp3 downloads?... Gotta get the kids up and moving for school... As Always Thanks Doug

Comment

Originally posted by dougnez
                            Hi Amanda.. You say.."bar publishing"... What would I use to publish mp3 downloads?... Gotta get the kids up and moving for school... As Always Thanks Doug
                            You only need to publish Blue Voda designed pages (that's because the html is created through the publishing process). Everything else can simply be uploaded as described earlier in the thread and that includes mp3 files, images, video clips, flash files etc...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Ok Amanda... I'm gathering as much insight about this subject as I can before creating the publisher page... May even look into Soho.. Thanks Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X