No announcement yet.

Creating pop-up windows for links... ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating pop-up windows for links... ??

Okay... how's this for something different? (for me at least). I understand that pop-ups are annoying and most people have pop-up blockers and such, but I would still like to figure out how to create pop-up windows for links. It might be simpler than I think but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Here's what I want to be able to do and I don't think it's all that bad. I have a menu of dates on my homepage now and I wanted to try and direct those links to a small window that pops up showing the information. For example, I listed dates (which are updates to the site and other info) and I wanted to get them to pop-up in a small window with the text info. (and I'm talkin' teeny tiny window... nothing that would fill up a whole screen.)

I've seen this on other websites and I figured it would make sense to use it for this particular reason.

Is this at all possible using BV? Thanks in advance for any help. :)
    George
    www.virtuosocreative.com

Re: Creating pop-up windows for links... ??

I like the blueeeeee .... really nice ....

I think you could just make your own little pop up window, just make the page the size of the pop up that you want and put your info on it, so when they click the date, that opens, set the target to _blank so that it opens as a pop up .... I also believe there are calendars out there that may do what you want. There are alot of scripts available too for creating a pop up window ... just do a search for a script ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

You mean something like this ? Click on the " Technical Specifications and Features page." link in that page, to see how it pops up.

If this is what you want, it is very simple. Let's say that you have created a small page (200 x 300 pixels) with the dates that you want to display in the popup.
      In your original page, create the link. In the Link dialog box, in the URL field, type this code:

#" onClick="window.open('yourpage.html', '','width=300,height=200'); return false;"
      This is ok, if you have the page in the same folder. If not, replace "yourpage.html" with the full URL: http://yourdomain.com/yourpage.html"
      300 and 200 are the popup dimensions, change it to whatever you need it to be.

Oh, it can also be a php page, not only html.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
        You mean something like this ? Clicl on the " Technical Specifications and Features page." link in that page, to see how it pops up.

If this is what you want, it is very simple. Let's say that you have created a small page (200 x 300 pixels) with the dates that you want to display in the popup.
        In your original page, create the link. In the Link dialog box, in the URL field, type this code:

This is ok, if you have the page in the same folder. If not, replace "yourpage.html" with the full URL: http://yourdomain.com/yourpage.html"

Awesome!!! This works exactly as I needed!! Thanks so much for the help!!!
        George
        www.virtuosocreative.com

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye
          I like the blueeeeee .... really nice ....

I think you could just make your own little pop up window, just make the page the size of the pop up that you want and put your info on it, so when they click the date, that opens, set the target to _blank so that it opens as a pop up .... I also believe there are calendars out there that may do what you want. There are alot of scripts available too for creating a pop up window ... just do a search for a script ...
          Thanks for the info. I'm glad you like the blue! It was a needed change that I made... umm... I think back in September. The **** thing is random... just made that today.

Now... time to see if I can get this pop up thing to work.
          George
          www.virtuosocreative.com

Comment

Good!!! I see you've made it.
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Good!!! I see you've made it.
              Hey - thanks again. I really like this addition and it's exactly what I wanted to do.

I have a couple other questions regarding this.

I already did a quick search through several threads and didn't find my answer. (maybe because what I'm looking for is a little more than "simple").
              • I know I can put links into those tiny pop-up windows but is there any way I can do it that will send the link to open in the original window, or a new full-size window?? I tried putting links in there and changed it from _blank to _parent to _top and _self... all of which opened the link inside the tiny box. Is there a way I can make links open elsewhere?
              • Lastly, I have seen this on other pop-ups before and I wondered about how I could go about adding a "Close this Window" button or link that will close the pop-up. I have no idea what the code would be for that, and I looked it up.
              Thanks!
              George
              www.virtuosocreative.com

Comment

• I know I can put links into those tiny pop-up windows but is there any way I can do it that will send the link to open in the original window, or a new full-size window?? I tried putting links in there and changed it from _blank to _parent to _top and _self... all of which opened the link inside the tiny box. Is there a way I can make links open elsewhere?
                _parent should do it. I don't have the time to test it, but that is what _parent is for. And _blank DOES open a new window. (this is tested as i use it in my applications) . Have a look at the same example i have posted above for you to see. There, you can see both a "Close Window" button, and, if you click on the very bottom link (where it says @ Copyright 2005- 2007 DBTechnosystems.com) you will see that it opens _blank, in a new window

A popup is nothing else than a normal browser window, without the toolbars, and smaller. But it is, under all other points of view, a normal window and behalves so. Links will work normally.
                • Lastly, I have seen this on other pop-ups before and I wondered about how I could go about adding a "Close this Window" button or link that will close the pop-up. I have no idea what the code would be for that, and I looked it up.
                Place an Advanced BlueVoda button in your page (it's in the forms toolbar) Make it Onclick Type, and define it's action to be "Close window". That's how it is done in the above example. I have used text to create the x, differently formatted than the rest and with red colour
                Navaldesign

Comment

_parent should do it. I don't have the time to test it, but that is what _parent is for. And _blank DOES open a new window. (this is tested as i use it in my applications) . Have a look at the same example i have posted above for you to see. There, you can see both a "Close Window" button, and, if you click on the very bottom link (where it says @ Copyright 2005- 2007 DBTechnosystems.com) you will see that it opens _blank, in a new window

A popup is nothing else than a normal browser window, without the toolbars, and smaller. But it is, under all other points of view, a normal window and behalves so. Links will work normally.

Place an Advanced BlueVoda button in your page (it's in the forms toolbar) Make it Onclick Type, and define it's action to be "Close window". That's how it is done in the above example. I have used text to create the x, differently formatted than the rest and with red colour
                  Thanks... that pretty much gets me to where I need to be. I'm still having issues with the links going to a new window (or the original) but I'm not too worried. For now, I'll just put the links typed out.

Thanks for all your help. I had never used the "Advanced" buttons before. I always wondered when I would use it. :)
                  George
                  www.virtuosocreative.com

Comment

You mean something like this ? Click on the " Technical Specifications and Features page." link in that page, to see how it pops up.

This all makes sense, however what should the Link Type be set to? It seems logical that it should be http: but the entered code in the URL field is then deleted when the form is saved. I must be particularly thick because I cannot figure out how to get the code to remain

Comment

Do not worry about that . Just enter the code, save your page and publish. It is true that the link will not appear any mre, but it is still memorized there and it will work.
                      Navaldesign

Comment

Got it! Thanks

Comment

Question for navaldesign

It is nice to see someone so helpful in assisting others with enquiries. I am new to BlueVoda and am in the midst of creating a web site and have yet to publish it.

I caught the earlier posts with regards to creating a pop-up windows and would like to do the same. i liked the window you created as a sample.

Can this be done to pop up PDF files?

I have a number of legal documents that I would like to link to and thought it would be better showcased to have the link pop up a window of a particular PDF document.

Your feedback would greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

Comment

Hello!,
                            I like your website and especially your page sizing. Would you share the demensions with me if you created the pages yourself?
                            Thank you kindly,
                            shari

Comment

Opps, I'm new to this program of posting??? My question was for Hester!

Comment

Working...
                              X