Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright Questions

Hi y'all,
    This isn't really a technical question, but I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about internet copyright laws? My site will contain a lot of documents that I have made and do not want ppl copying and publishing. I will put the documents in Pdf format, but do I have to register my site for it to be copyrighted?

Thanks,
    Leggy

Re: Copyright Issues

You can put a disclaimer on your website that this is your work and it is copyrighted and not to be copied, redistributed or published as someone elses work. This stops most .. however, it would be up to you to take the time to do something about it if an event did occur. This is all free. Outside of that I believe the next step would cost money. Is it worth that? There are plenty articles around if you did a search on google about this ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Re: Copyright Questions

Lady Eye is right you'll need to post your copyright on the site for all to see....It's probably best to to send the Copyright office a CD with your website on it and copyright it with them ... But it seems to me that the individual elements of your site like books, music, pictures need there own copyrights to be fully protected.. The library of Congress/Copyright offers lots and lots of info.... Doug

Comment

Oh.. One other thing... Watermark you pages... I know it's been discussed several times (here on the forum) as a way for writers to protect their internet published works .. You might want to research Watermark

Comment

Leggy,
          I don't know what kind of documents you'll be doing - but the best form of flattery on the internet - and part of what makes sites the "king" when it comes to their authority - are because other sites are using their articles and giving them the authority by linking them to them.

If you truly don't want any of the articles used, simply put, on each one, that they are copyrighted and that use of them in any part needs to be approved. But I do suggest you give approval when possible.

Otherwise, make them on password protected pages and for download only.
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hey,
            Thanks for all the comments. I guess, I'm not going to worry about it. I'll do as ladyeye suggested. The reason for my website is to offer teachers an abundant amount of ready made lesson plans for FREE, I'm just scared someone is going to swoop down and publish them all into a book...maybe I should do that. lol
            Anywho, Thanks again!
            Leggy

Comment

Well there you go ... that's an awesome idea you have. And what Bethers is telling you is true. Perhaps make it in an ebook style, pdf format and maybe someone will link from their site to yours, and this is all good for you ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
              02036089024 / United Kingdom
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I would definitely agree with your concern about someone taking advantage of your hard work. I also think you have the right idea on how you want to use it, too. Since you mentioned you were using the PDF format for your documents, AND that their intended recipients are primarily Teachers/Educators/etc..., I would definitely want to look a bit more into options of safegaurding your information and restricting it's usage.

I say this because a few moral reasons, personal as they may be, come to mind. I certainly would have mixed thoughts if all my hard work, which was intended to help make some of life's tasks easier for those who live to bring knowledge and understanding to the world around them, was exploited by selfish people only to turn a quick buck with little or no effort.

Research the Adobe Acrobat Professional site as well as alternative/trusted websites that can provide you with options for:

PDF Document Security
                Encryption
                PDF Document Sharing/Collaboration
                Digitally Signing documents

COPY all docs to CD
                compile all your documents onto a CD..makesure that the "Date Created" for each file is still original and when you put them to CD, do so by using Windows XP's process...drag the files/folders/or just one folder with all docs....to the cd\dvd\combo\etc.. drive thats writable and select "Write these files to CD" from the "File" menu. This ensures that the correct binary data used when labeling the CD to default: the current date, is accurate and verifiable if needed. Let it burn to disc, put it in hard case(dvd prefferrable) go to Post Office and send it to yourself REGISTERED MAIL(require signature upon delivery), and don't open it when you get it back.
                Robert
                www.GraphXntrix.com
                Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Robert... That Adobe servcie is a good idea and probably a good service. I was wondering if you knew of any such services for mp3s. I know Microsoft offers protection for their wma type files... But in all my research I cannot find such for mp3s.. other than of course Itunes... Thanks Doug

Comment

Start simple.

For Windows Media Player, it's "DRM" = Windows Media (Digital Rights Management).

here is a link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...m/default.mspx

review the information to get an idea of what areas of security you will need to focus on to accomplish your goal. Pay close attention to the types of interaction your MP3's might be involved with.

ex. - what components or software will you need to secure the file itself, ensure it's delivery to the right person(if downloadable), etc..

Personally, I live around the developer sites on the web, such as Sourceforge. There are always some projects involving just about anything you can think of... and if you don't find what your looking for, refine your search terms.

As for my personal experience with DRM-type features and how to implement them accordingly, I honestly haven't had the need to look into it in depth. But if you figure something out, by all means let us know. I would be more than happy to figure it out with ya.
                    Robert
                    www.GraphXntrix.com
                    Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Hey Robert... You offer up really good info.. I will research this for sure.. So Thank You ... My 20 year old daughter says," Oh dad.."We know ways around all that music protect stuff." Thanks again for helping me stay on the cutting edge.... Doug

Comment

Excellent info Robert!
                        If you do want to actually copyright your website you can do so for around $30 if the price hasn't gone up. The US Copyright office is www.copyright.gov/ there you will find lots of information and the prices for different types of copyrights.

If someone wants it bad enough they will find a way to get it, but if you catch them you will have legal recourse. I believe that protecting your writings the way Robert described above will also give you legal recourse.
                        Naturally Yours,
                        Dori
                        www.earthelixirs.com
                        www.earthelixirsinc.com
                        www.mineralmakeupdiva.com
                        www.virtualdesigndiva.com
                        www.enhancemineralcosmetics.com

Comment

Copyrights $45.00 now... Stamps to be $0.41... up up up

Comment

Hi, only my penny’s worth.
                            If this is for a business or gain in finance? The copy write all depends on what value you think your works can earn for you & to be able to prove that it is worth this amount.
                            If we are talking about anything up to five or six thousand US dollars in total, then don’t even bother with it. It is all very well placing a copy write with one of these companies for $40/50.00 that you see on the net. But that will just prove the work belongs to you.
                            Then you have to find the thieves & start very expensive court proceedings with no guarantees. I would certainly use the compliment of someone stealing my work to make it into an advantage for myself, or even give the work away under certain conditions so that you get the credits /acknowledgments. If you get enough credits around the net, this will help with traffic to your site & then be able to charge higher prices for adds on your site. You may find this a better type of income.

Good luck.
                            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Good point Chris!

Yeah... it figures the price went up Doug... such is life.
                              Naturally Yours,
                              Dori
                              www.earthelixirs.com
                              www.earthelixirsinc.com
                              www.mineralmakeupdiva.com
                              www.virtualdesigndiva.com
                              www.enhancemineralcosmetics.com

Comment

Working...
                              X