Confirmation E-mail Problem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmation E-mail Problem??

I have had several users attempt to join my forum but have their confirmation e-mail sent to their spam folder. Does anyone know what it is with the e-mail that catches the attention of the spam folder? Is there any way to fix it so that it will not happen?

Thanks for any help.
    Travis
    ID: 11830
    www.steadyracing.net

Forum Menace!

Re: Confirmation E-mail Problem??

Anyone?
    www.steadyracing.net

Forum Menace!

Comment

I signed up using my Yahoo address and it went to my spam folder as well.

My suggestion is to edit the email to include more customized wording, but there's really not much you can do beyond that. Spam filters seem to single out emails from phpBB forums for some reason. There are a couple I've been a member of for years and I've repeatedly told my email program not to mark messages from them as spam, but is still does on occasion.
      My NASCAR Forum

Comment

I think the customized wording should do the trick.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by VodaHost
          I think the customized wording should do the trick.
          I guess I could have told him how to do it.

The email file is in your forum's language > lang_english > email folder. Look for the file named "user_welcome_inactive". Download it to your pc, make a copy of it, then open it with whatever editor you use (notepad or wordpad will do the trick). I asked you to make a copy of it just in case you make any mistakes when editing.

With the file open, you can now change the text to read the way YOU want it to read, rather than the way phpBB wants it to read. You can modify any portion of this file - change wording, add wording, remove wording, etc.

Keep your eye on the text placed between tags that look like this: { } The only place you should replace that text is in the part that reads "Welcome to {SITENAME}". You can change the wording on that to whatever you like, just make sure you remove the tags that were originally around SITENAME as well. Leave all other text inside tags in place, as it calls various functions of the forum together to help your new member activate hir or her account.

Play with it, work on it, get it the way you want and then upload it to overwrite the file on the server. Register a new account on your forum and see what it looks like when it's emailed to you - if it looks like ****, you still have the copy of the original file that you can upload and then try again.
          My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Thanks! I'll see if I can figure that out when I get home! Would you happen to know what words or phrases throw up the red flags for the spam folders?
            www.steadyracing.net

Forum Menace!

Comment

Originally posted by BLK306
              Thanks! I'll see if I can figure that out when I get home! Would you happen to know what words or phrases throw up the red flags for the spam folders?

If I knew the answer to that, I'd be on phpbb.com selling it to people. lol
              My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Originally posted by racefan20
                If I knew the answer to that, I'd be on phpbb.com selling it to people. lol
                Well I don't know what it was about the wording but it appears to be fixed. I did not change much at all. Thanks Racefan20! Are you going come back and see us over at Steady Racing? The members already started a thread welcoming you!
                www.steadyracing.net

Forum Menace!

Comment

Racefan20

In case you never go back to my site to actually see this post.

Copied and pasted from my post.

Sorry Racefan. Thanks for the help you did give me.

I wish I could change your opinon of the site and its members. Truth be known is that most everyone on here is very friendly. I understand you have to do what you got to do. Either way thanks again for stopping by and thanks again for your help.
                  www.steadyracing.net

Forum Menace!

Comment

Working...
                  X