This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create a download

Sometimes you want your website visitor to be able to download a file from your website, such as a .pdf, MP3, .exe, .zip, etc….

This is very easy to do, please follow the below instructions...

1) When creating a file that is designed to be downloaded, it is extremely important that you
    keep the file name as short as possible and do not use any capital letters, spaces or punctuation marks.

2) Upload the file you want your visitor to be able to download into your public_html folder. You can upload
    via FTP or you can use the upload feature in your File Manager in your control panel.

OK...

Next....

Let's look at the example of the domain name www.BlueVoda.com, We want to provide the BlueVoda Website
    Builder as a download to our visitors...

a) We created a file zip file called bv.zip
    b) We uploaded bv.zip to our public_html folder

Thats it!

The download link is www.BlueVoda.com/bv.zip , anybody who clicks this link will download the BlueVoda website builder.

---------------------------

Let's Recap....

Your Doman Name + File = Downloadable link

BlueVoda.com
    is the domain name

bv.zip is the file

we seperate the the two with a slash /

and we get the downloadable link
    BlueVoda.com/bv.zip

If you have any questions or comments on this topic, please feel free to ask them below...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Re: How to create a download

General,
    Thank you for making this easy to understand and implement! You are the best!
    Naturally Yours,
    Dori
    www.earthelixirs.com
    www.earthelixirsinc.com
    www.mineralmakeupdiva.com
    www.virtualdesigndiva.com
    www.enhancemineralcosmetics.com

Comment

General,
      Thank you very much.. I was wondering exactly how to do that.. And thanks for keeping track of our progress and interests..Dori's right you are the best.
      Doug

Comment

Thanks! I don't need the info yet, but will need it before too long . . . I'll keep the thread so I have it when I need it!

Comment

Hi I am wondering how to make the download link a one time only link. For example john bought an ebook from one of my sites and I want him to have it but make it secure so he can't sent the link (or password to the file)to all his friends. Is there a way to do this? ThanksKell
          Be happy, relaxed and face all challenges with ease.
          Free 5min stressbuster meditation.
          www.Breakthrough-Meditation.com

Comment

General,
            Ho can I keep track or view how many times a specific file has been downloaded. I have an excel sheet that users anonymosly can download and I would like to know how many times this happens. Is this possible?

Thanks,
            Mats (www.snickis.se)
            Mats Tegnér
            Snickis.se

Comment

Originally posted by mackan
              General,
              Ho can I keep track or view how many times a specific file has been downloaded. I have an excel sheet that users anonymosly can download and I would like to know how many times this happens. Is this possible?

Thanks,
              Mats (www.snickis.se)
              Hi Mats,

it can be done in two ways:

1. By looking into your Stats in CP.

2. with a script that will email you, each time someone clicks on the link to the the file, or with a script that will update a database table. The email solution is the simplest. Additional info can be added in both cases, as date and time the file was downloaded, IP address of the user that downloaded it, as well as (but this is only usefull if you have the link to the file in many pages, and you want to trace this also) the page from which they clicked to download the file . If you are interested, contact me.

Please note that this way you can trace the number of times they have clicked on the "Download file" button. If they then choose to close the download window, without actually downloading, the script will count it as downloaded.
              Navaldesign
              Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks... If the file doesn't show when the link is clicked what's up?

Comment

Originally posted by twenty8ightinc
                  Thanks... If the file doesn't show when the link is clicked what's up?
                  It means that your link is wrong.
                  Navaldesign
                  Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                  DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                  Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Great You can also ad it to button and it works perfect.
                    Regards
                    Bojan

Comment

Question. How do you upload a document without having people having to use my control panel username/password to actually view it? I've uploaded a word document to my site, but when you click on it, it asks for my user/password. I don't want it to be password protected.

Comment

Do I need to set my permissions to something different?

Comment

Hi Laura,

this is probably because your document is inside a protected folder. Make sure it is inside a "free" folder, and it will create a download just fine.
                          Navaldesign

Comment

thats worth a million $ 4 me as i dont know how to even make a webpage,but i love u bv!!!!!

Comment

Thanks, thats real easy to make download. I guess I'll manage it now. Thanks a million as always.

Comment

Working...
                              X