No announcement yet.

Text changes when Viewed on other P.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text changes when Viewed on other P.C.

Hello I was wondering if you could take a look at a couple of pages and see if the text is the basic Arial or the fancy Algerian style I made. I could not beleive all the text was different and some things were spaced improperly when I looked at the pages on another computer? Thanks kenb Here's the Link.

Re: Text changes when Viewed on other P.C.

The other computer must have the "fancy" font stored in it's Windows folder in order to be displayed correctly. The alternative is to save the "fancy" font as an image from an image editing program and then insert as an image.
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi
    Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonTerry
      The other computer must have the "fancy" font stored in it's Windows folder in order to be displayed correctly. The alternative is to save the "fancy" font as an image from an image editing program and then insert as an image.

Which is a bad idea as search engines won't be able to read it.

Only web safe fonts should be used.
      My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Ken - In other words - stick with fonts that are standard on all computers:

http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Algerian font was on the computer I was viewing the page from as it is in most programs, is this just a rare situation because I have pretty much settled on that font style for the whole site?

Comment

I can see Algerian. However, this is not a rule, some computers might NOT have this font installed.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

I see, it didnt look too bad although it was a little plain in appearance. I'll probably just stay with the Algerian font for the time being. I know the computer is only a few weeks old and is probably not set up to accept all formats yet. As for the spacing being offset in a couple of areas, I will probably have to work that out over the phone with my friend on the computer in question. Thanks kenb

Comment

Ken,
                It will not be on all computers - and if that was a new computer, don't expect it to be on most. And any computer it's not on will not show the same as the one you saw - as they might not have the same default font. Since this is a business site, you're doing a disservice if you use a font that isn't standard.

Just a fyi.
                Beth
                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by kenb
                  Algerian font was on the computer I was viewing the page from as it is in most programs, is this just a rare situation because I have pretty much settled on that font style for the whole site?

I can see it fine, you can see it fine, Naval can see it fine and I'm sure many others can as well, but it's gonna look like **** to those who don't have that font available.

If you're absolutely sold on it, you should go the route Terry suggested using images, but that will kill you with the search engines.

To be honest, in looking at your site, I think the font is overkill and not really suited to the purpose of the site.

A person looking for your services isn't looking for a pretty website, he's looking for something well organized and easy to read. I can see where that font could be difficult on some people's eyes (mine included) and I'd recommend you think about a more "general" font. Nothing as basic as arial, but something less involved than what you're using.
                  My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'll rethink the font style on this one. I'm sure I will find something that works.

Comment

Working...
                    X