Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time with php - please assist

Hello,
    this is the hirst time I learn/deal with php. Please, confirm my understanding and help me with some questions:

1) when I buy an account, the php is already installed and configured for a forum; is this confirm. That is, I do not need to install it.
    2) when I buy an account, is php alreay configured to the bought domain?
    3) if I want to model and preview pages, can I install php on my local computer? If yes,
    a) where I can download this product?
    b) what should I use for the domain (if "localhost", is this the port 80)?
    c) is it possible to preview pages w/o publishing?

4) should I douwnload and install mySQL from somewhere or it is a part of php download? Also, is mySQL already installed and integrated with php when I buy an account?

Thank you in advance,
    - Michael

Re: first time with php - please assist

what does mysql do?

Comment

php is a server side programming language. Most of the web applications are written in php / MySQL
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Helo, nice to be part of this forum!

Comment

Hey babson - It is customary to start your own post, rather than coming in on someone elses (hitchhiking).
          And welcoming and hello kinds of messages go in the voda lounge section.
          This one is the mySQL/php section.
          That way when you see a thread you know what to expect, and can get or give help to the person asking the question..
          Having said that -
          Welcome to Voda!
          Liz
          www.sebastopolparty.com
          www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

1) when I buy an account, the php is already installed and configured for a forum; is this confirm. That is, I do not need to install it.
            No you do not need to install php onto your account

2) when I buy an account, is php alreay configured to the bought domain?
            You domain is unrelated to the php configuration. Your account will have php enabled for any and all domain you addon to your account

3) if I want to model and preview pages, can I install php on my local computer? If yes,
            a) where I can download this product?
            PHP is a popular general-purpose scripting language that powers everything from your blog to the most popular websites in the world.

b) what should I use for the domain (if "localhost", is this the port 80)?
            you won't need a domain, most likely you will just need you ip address (I havn't installed php on my computer before, so im not 100% sure)
            c) is it possible to preview pages w/o publishing?
            No, php only works when the file is loaded.

4) should I douwnload and install mySQL from somewhere or it is a part of php download? Also, is mySQL already installed and integrated with php when I buy an account?
            MySQL and PHP arn't directly related, you don't need one to run the other, they work together to make more dynamic pages. You will have to download and install it seperatly. Your account will have mysql activated as well.

Just as a final note. Installing php and mysql on your PC isn't something you should do if you arn't very computer ****. Its not the easier task to do (Its not a simple next->next->next->finish install task, it requires a lot of configuration). Also, it is much easier to just test the pages on your webspace, everything is already setup and ready to go, all you have to do it upload (or publish) the files and run them in your browser and you will know if they are working or not.

Register/Login Script
            Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
            X