Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My pages in yahoo and google!

Hi all,

I have been getting some strange page indexing from my main page in google and in yahoo. If you do a search for site:www.romancebyshirlee.com all the pages come up that have been indexed by that search engine. One of the pages index is (www.romancebyshirlee.com/?src=QSA130) which takes me to my main page. I have checked in my control panel and there is not any pagecalled ?src=QSA130 nor has there ever been a page called such a name. Can anybody tell me what may be happening and how I may be able to correct problem.

Thank You in advance
    Garren
    Never Let a Kind word go Un said!

Soy Candles

Re: Strange indexing of pages in yahoo and google!

As long as that index takes a potential client to your home page, I dont think that you have anything to worry about.
    I went to that link and up came your home page.............

BTW; if you would like to exchange links with my wedding site, I would be most happy.

have fun
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

I am more worried about how this duplicate indexing is affecting my site when it comes to search engines and how their algorithyms work. To the best of my understanding they consider this duplicate page publishing which hurts your rankings in the search engines. I have notice a drop with my main keywords which coincides with the time the duplicates started to show up. That is why I want to know how to prevent this from happening.

I would be more than happy to exchange links with your site just go to www.romancebyshirlee.com/resources/add.html and enter your information there.

Soy Candles

Comment

The se's will recognize the ? in that as being to the same page - that's also how you put in information to PPC companies so you can tell where the people came from - so someone, somewhere - put that in to get to your page -
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks for your response bethers but I don't exactly agree with your thoughts on this subject. I went surfing for some answers and found this one peticular forum where someone else has a problem simular to mine. http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ad.php?t=14462 I checked to make sure there where no links out there to that paticular page by using the link: command in the serps and there wasn't according to what these people are claiming this is a server misconfiguration and a problem and I tend to beleive them seeing that I spend quite a bit of time checking out my competition and the pages they have index and haven't
          found anyone with these strange situations. This strange string should not go to any page and it should not be getting indexed by the serps and also their is about three of these strange ?src= pages indexed not good.

Soy Candles

Comment

You aren't understanding what I'm saying - that ?with numbers after it - is NOT telling Google that you have another page - they recognize that as a direction to a page. It shouldn't be any problem. Most of the time when you see those strings, the website owner themselves has placed them on the pages to be able to see where they came from.

I did a search for where that might be coming from - do you belong to any natural sites - because there are a lot of sites showing that - all seem to be from holistic/natural sites - so it looks like they are simply trying to show that the people are coming to you from a link from them.

For example, I could put a link to your site from mine - and add that type of string to it - and then you would know that those people came from my site. So - that might be from a blog or site that you may have joined - or not - when that shows up in your stats - where have the people come from? That should answer it - except for since you posted it here LOL

But you can do a redirect for this string - however, I suggest you see if you can find who/where this is coming from to begin with.

The string you showed from the other thread came from a bot request. Yours doesn't appear the same - yours looks like a string that is given and should resolve to your home page. You could put in a support ticket and ask why it's keeping that string and getting indexed.
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

That is a very good observation Bethers (Hi how are ya. been a while). I thought about the idea you mentioned that someone could simply add that particular string at the end to show where "someone" came from. This had me thinking for a moment in terms of how an actual Search Engine would need to display pages indexed as part of a web service provided by the same Search Engine. What i did was typed a search in my browser using Yahoo Search for my site like Garren had:

site:www.graphxntrix.com

the result brings me to Yahoo's Site Explore Beta page with a few listings of my pages..I can also select the "inlinks' to show all the available inbound links to my pages.

when i searched for just: QSA130
              the results were many different sites and the "long" links (green ones) all had the "?src=QSA130" at the end....this was using Yahoo as well.

so I suppose my question to Garren would be, have you used this new feature from Yahoo..(ie. submitted your website using Yahoo Site Explorer or something similar)

I may not be correct, but I am guessing that the string at the end or your url as listed could possibly be used by the Search Engine as a means to index a "refference to page" so that it is not seen as the actual "Indexed Page"

what do you think, plausible?

hope this sheds some light, and Bethers, it feels great to read your posts again, insightful-like even. :o)

Garren, I have no doubt that you have an enormous capability to drill down information to get to the answer, when you search for it, however, every once in a while, try stepping back and noticing the purpose behind the information your looking at (example: this website/this page/this info...is used for what reason and is displayed using such a format/layout/markup to ....enhance/prevent "??????" <--something unknown at the moment or known if you do, lol.
              Just a simple way that I personally sometimes try to solve a "why things are the way they are" situation.

As to the actual answer to this, I will check back. I too, am now curious.
              Robert
              www.GraphXntrix.com
              Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Re: My pages in yahoo and google!

Beth is correct. Its probably a means of tracking. You yourself can do this to track your links if you wish! For instance I can do one so i know who clicks from voda host

www.charmingnoveltees.com?vhforum

and I can make it look like this on a webpage or a link trade

Charming Noveltees

Then I know at a glance where that link came from. So, if Yahoo is giving you a link that way for some new beta thing you signed up for, they may be tracking the number of links they gave you by that additional number attatched to your link. It doesnt make any difference to the SE or your page rank, nor is it recognized as a page name. You are confusing that with PHP pages or dynamically generated pages which arent quite the same. The src= indicates to me, its telling you WHAT that src is.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. Beth I would like to let you know that I did understand your first post very clearly. In my second post I was trying to explain that I had checked all my inlinks as describe by Robert for yahoo, google and msn. From doing this action I determined that it couldn't be from a external site because I have none with the ?src= extention. I published in this forum because I realize that there are alot of very intelligient people who help people who request help solving solutions. I've recently come to realize that I can pull up anybodies homepage using the ?src= at the end of there page so I don't believe that this is a server problem so issuing a support ticket would not be proper for this problem I am having. Robert what you said got me thinking and I have two possibilities I am pondering. It may be possible that I have created the problem from within my own encoding. I think it could be because I am using shorthand for my internal linking. Another words (a herf="/") One of the main reasons for this thought is when I do the inlinks search as robert describes the only pages that show up are internal pages. The other reason for this thought is the time they first started appearing is when I beleive I started writing this shorthand. Before I go and change all my pages to absolute internal links though I would love to hear some thoughts on my theory (before I change every page).

Oh and Robert I am very aware that not all information found through searching is entirely acurate but I do beleive it must all be evaluated, which I feel sometimes is better to do in a group setting opposed to a individual viewing.

Thank you all for your input so far in regards to this situation.

Soy Candles

Comment

Btw, Google isnt using this in itself, so it must be as Robert suggested, does yahoo have a tool bar of some sort? Or is using ALEXA tool bar?

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Garren,
                      You didn't understand my 2nd post where I said that I DID see the url showing as pages by the se's - just like you were showing, but that I don't see it as a problem and I do believe it's being used by someone ELSE - not you - to show that they are sending traffic. Which is why I asked if you had joined any natural sites/ groups, etc.

If you take that string and put it into yahoo - you'll see the reason I ask that. http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=%3F...utf-8&fr=b2ie7

When I put it into Google yesterday, they had dozens of similar sites - but I believe Google has realized that those are queries - which is what the ? represents - and now this thread is number one and only a couple sites show up there.

But someone is using this query - and it looks like it's been someone interest in natural type sites.

As to internal linking - you'll do yourself a favor with se's if you always use the exact and same full link. Changing it in anyway COULD cause it to look like duplicate pages with the same information.
                      Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Beth,

I did read your second post and I noticed the same things that you did, but I went into each one of those pages and noticed that they all use shorthand linking. I came up with the thought that this was the se's way of naming a page that has a link without a name (hope that makes sense) I've noticed in the past before doing some optimizations that my main page was being index not only as romancebyshirlee.com but it was also being indexed as romancebyshirlee.com/index.html. The reason for this I discovered was because I linked back to my homepage using the romancebyshirlee.com/index.html as the name of the link. Which caused the se to index my homepage that way. So my theory is based on the thought that if you have just "/" as a link the se's can't read this as your homepage but read it as your homepage and then something else. As far as the ?src=QSA130 I also have just ?src= and ?src=QHA046 and ?src=QHA092 and ?src=QHA242 in google which can be viewed http://www.google.com/search?q=site:...&sa=N&filter=0

Also if I you go into yahoo and type in link:www.romancebyshirlee.com/?src=QSA130 it will show you every page that the se has cached on the whole entire internet. The only links that show up are internal links from my own site no external links. Meaning that there is none, zero, zip, zilch chance that these strange strings are coming from another site because if they were I would be able to see where the link was coming from. If you need more proof go to yahoo and type in link:www.romancebyshirlee.com/romantic_ideas.html when you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see to pages from external sites which happen to be linking to that peticular page that the se's has cached.( Thats how I tell if someone else is linking to a page. )

Thank you for your input
                        I am going to go ahead and go through the task of changing my links to absolute links and see if it makes a difference.

Soy Candles

Comment

Well actually, I went to yahoo and did as you suggested and i dont see it at all unless i actually USE the src=.

Btw when you type in Links:www.site.com you dont get every page that ever links to you on the whole internet. You only get links that the se recognize, there may be even more out there that arent listed.

I doubt its the relative or shortened links that make the difference, but rather supplemental results, which you might see for product pages especially if youve used repeated content, or suppliers source content.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

wow. I believe the the answer will present itself when the "Search Engine" or website which owns or created the "link" is found.

I would send an email to Yahoo and Google. See what they have to say. With all their development going on right now, I'm curious to find out.

I think I'll send one now.
                            Robert
                            www.GraphXntrix.com
                            Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Robert,

I think its yahooooo! Google didnt even list the quirk until we looked for it.. now it does.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                              X