PDA

View Full Version : Max number of posts in topic...

limebrook1
02-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi folks,

My forum members dislike opening new threads, and keep adding to the old ones. One thread now has nearly 500 posts.

Is this something I should discourage, or won't it affect the performance?

davidundalicia
02-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Some of vh thteads have many more posts than that trish, so I dont think you need to worry at the moment.

You could of couse, close that thread anytime you wish.

Girlonthehill
02-24-2007, 01:59 AM
Hi folks,

My forum members dislike opening new threads, and keep adding to the old ones. One thread now has nearly 500 posts.

Hi, Trish!

It shouldn't affect the performance of your forum. On Racefan's old forum (phpBB) he had one thread with thousands and thousands of posts in it and that ran like a dream.

racefan20
02-24-2007, 06:34 AM
Hi folks,

It won't affect the performance, Trish, don't seat that part.

However, a problem with a thread that contains that many posts and becomes basically "home base" for the regulars on the forum is that newcomers can be afraid to "intrude" or maybe just finding the proper posts to which to reply.

Kind of a double edged sword - you don't want to alienate your regulars by closing a thread, but you also want to make the new people feel as welcome as possible.

limebrook1
02-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks all - and good point Race! I think I'll start closing some of the long threads down where the original point has been somewhat lost!