• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• publishing problems

Hello all,
    In need of some help.
    I am trying to publish my new web site.
    The homepage publishes fine www.lucidfusionstudio.com
    BUT when I try to publish my painting page it changes my home page by putting a black background over some of my type (almost as if some of the the painting page is trying to load over the home page).

Also when I try to type in the address for the painting page www.lucidfusionstudio.com/paintings.html it says the page cannot be found.

I have checked all of the addresses in my menu and they all look ok according to the tutorials and what Ive read on forums.

Example: http://www.lucidfusionstudio.com/paintings.html
    (is what I have typed in)
    What should the target be set at in the menu (self,paretn,ect)?

Ive been checking and rechecking everything I can think of, probably something small that Ive missed. Would appreciate any help you can offer. thanks so much,
    LFStudios

Re: publishing problems

I suspect you have either named your paintings page incorrectly, made a spelling or upper/lower case error in the actual link or have published it to the wrong place. Please check these three things with a fine toothed comb. It's very easy to make a simple mistake. We've all done it, believe me. Lol

Leave the target field empty so that when a viewer clicks on a link it opens in the same browser window.

Incidentally, I hope you don't mind, but your home page is way to wide. People will quickly be put off your site if they have to sideways scroll. My screen is set to 1068 and there is still a huge scroll. You may want to consider changing the layout of your pages to fit within either 800 pixels or 1000.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

a thought
      Could it be when you published did YOU added the html?
      If so, publish without that. BV adds it..
      Liz
      www.sebastopolparty.com
      www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Hello and thank you! all feedback is most helpful (Im a newbie at this)
        I will change my page set up to be smaller.
        When I set up the address in my menu are you saying not to add the .html at the end?
        should it read: http://lucidfusionstudio.com/paintings

Ive checked the spelling and all is well there.

How does one check to see if it is published in the wrong place?

Sorry but Im feeling rather inept lol
        LFStudio

Comment

just tried again...checked my ip address, took off the .html from the address in the menu, resized my page...now when the homepage comes up it is partially blocked again

Comment

Originally posted by lucidfusionstudio
            Hello and thank you! all feedback is most helpful (Im a newbie at this)
            I will change my page set up to be smaller.
            When I set up the address in my menu are you saying not to add the .html at the end?
            should it read: http://lucidfusionstudio.com/paintings

Ive checked the spelling and all is well there.

How does one check to see if it is published in the wrong place?

Sorry but Im feeling rather inept lol
            LFStudio
            There's no need to feel inept, we all have to learn.

Your links should contain the .html. Liz was referring to when you publish your page you should not add html - like when you publish index - you don't add anything on the end. I think you know this as you have already successfully published your index page.

There are two ways of checking: either using the FTP Manager in Blue Voda (under Tools) or the Control Panel.

FTP Manager in BV - Click 'Connect' and this connects you to your server. The screen is split down the middle and the right hand side is your server while the left hand side is your pc. On the server side - navigate to your public_html folder byclicking on the folder icon next to Public_html. There you will see everything that is in your home directory. You should see index.html and any other pages and images that were created at the time you published. Look down the list to see if the 'missing' page is there.

Control Panel > File Manager - Click here for a tutorial on using the File Manager.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

just tried again...checked my ip address, took off the .html from the address in the menu, resized my page...now when the homepage comes up it is partially blocked again
              Put the .html back onto the link. If they are pointing towards other pages, your links should always have html at the end.

Do you have a black square on your index page that needs moving to the back? Each time I have looked at it I always see the header and a big black square with a few words listed down the left hand side - I'm assuming these are your links. Your photographs links appears to be correct so it's looking like that page hasn't been published or is in the wrong place. I'm scratching my head now. Lol

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

found the missing page and images in the ftp manager along with the index page...next?

Comment

The black box you are seeing is not on my index page anywhere...I can only assume it is frm my paintings page...it does not come up on the published home page until I try to publish my paintings page...?

Comment

just republished my home page...should come up without the black box

Comment

found the missing page and images in the ftp manager along with the index page...next?
                      How did you create your second page? Is it a new page from scratch or did you edit the index page and then save it as 'Photographs'? If there isn't a black square on your index page (that needs moving to the back) then I am running out of ideas. Someone else will have an idea though, so don't worry or panic.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I created the home page and "saved page as" to make a new page...should i have done this another way?

Comment

just republished my home page...should come up without the black box
                          Yes, I am seeing the proper index page now, with a blue background.

I would be tempted to start over with the photographs page. Using FTP Manager - delete the one that has already been published. If you do want to base it on your index page then clone the index page, using the cloning feature, then save as 'photographs' and republish. Sometimes pages do have conflicts which can cause wierd things to happen.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I created the home page and "saved page as" to make a new page...should i have done this another way?
                            See my last post. : - )

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thank you sooo much! I will go back and try this on the other pages Ive created...right now im off to a much needed shower and the off to give a lecture at a college...thankfully its on painting and not web design LOL!

I'll be back tonight

Desiree-LFStudio

Comment

Working...
                              X