Spam IP address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam IP address

Am getting many searches from an IP address: 199.232. etc. so I checked it out on google, and it seems to be a spam thing using Cambridge Entrepenurial Network. Others say the range is 199.232.0.0 - 1.99.232.255.255.
    Is there a way to block an IP address, or range of addresses, from your site?
    Thanks!
    Debi
    Debi
    DBoucher-Photography.com

Re: Spam IP address

Hi Debi

You can do this by accessing your control panel and choose IP DENY MANAGER and then you can copy the ip addresses in there .... if you like ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks LadyEye! I'm getting spam in my site email, and wondering if this is where it's coming from? (could be way off base, but heck! I don't know!) Do you get spam in your site's email? Anyway to prevent it, in the event this is not the problem? "in there...if you like..." makes me wonder if I'm missing something??? :)
      Debi
      Debi
      DBoucher-Photography.com

Comment

Hi Debi

I have combatted my spam in my email with a very simple solution. I have my email address encrypted, therefore spammers cannot read it ...

Go to this link and encrypt your email and apply it to your website instead.
        You will see how it all works ...

You could also use Navals ABVPF, it's a bit more work. I find the encryption tool works wonderful.

In any event, spam is always around, so it's best to use some measure of prevention right...

Here is the link .... http://www.dynamicdrive.com/emailriddler/

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thank you! I'll check it out now!
          Debi
          DBoucher-Photography.com

Comment

Originally posted by Debi
            Thanks LadyEye! I'm getting spam in my site email, and wondering if this is where it's coming from? (could be way off base, but heck! I don't know!) Do you get spam in your site's email? Anyway to prevent it, in the event this is not the problem? "in there...if you like..." makes me wonder if I'm missing something??? :)
            Debi
            Hi, Debi.

I think, to be honest, anyone who has their email address on their site is going to get spam. I know I get in the region of 300 to 500 per month over all my email addresses. I've found that having a very good email service helps a lot. I have BT Yahoo! which is pretty good at filtering spam and Gmail which is excellent. If you have a 'contact me' form that doesn't use validation then that will be open to abuse. Much of this email spam is generated by spam bots. I have built validation into my forms now by using Naval's ABVFP v2 which is very easy to use. You can find out more and download ABVFP v2 here.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks Amanda. I just finished loading the encryption onto each page, so I suppose that will help. Hope so!
              Validation? New term for me... Will look into it.
              Also, does anyone else have any thoughts on using the IP deny manager for unwanted visitors? Whoever they are ( spambots?), they seem to be up to no good :(
              Debi
              Debi
              DBoucher-Photography.com

Comment

Debi

Another thought from me, be sure of who you are blocking ... you would not want to block a search engine or a legit viewer - right!! lol

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

LOL!!! Yes, maybe I should just leave it alone.... Just don't know what kind of damage they can do... :(
                  The link that talks about them is below. Is anyone else is finding them in their site visits?
                  Debi
                  Debi
                  DBoucher-Photography.com

Comment

Also, LadyEye, I put the encryption at the end of the page...is that OK? Or does it belong somewhere else?
                    Thanks again!
                    Debi
                    Debi
                    DBoucher-Photography.com

Comment

Hey Debi

You did good, but I'm gonna get you to change it ...

The html code that the email riddler gives you, actually needs to be inserted in a html box on your webpage. It would replace the CONTACT that you now have on your site ... and that is a good spot to instead put this html box.

You would have noticed while filling this out for the code, that there were certain lines where you could type, subject of email, etc., anyway, on there you could also use the word Contact. You then insert this code, via copy and paste method, into the html box and size it according to this word contact, once you look you might want to adjust the html box ...

To insert an html box on your webpage, go to tools, advanced, insert html and this grey box which I refer to will land on your page. Double click it and insert all that code in there, resize it, place it on your page ...

Also, remove what you pasted down below on your page ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

OK, Woman! I made the changes, and removed the html I had inserted on the pages. My "Contacts" are smaller, but I think they'll be fine. (don't know enough about writing code to change them!)
                        Thanks a bunch!
                        Debi
                        Debi
                        DBoucher-Photography.com

Comment

Working...
                        X