Use google to pass a school proxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use google to pass a school proxy

Hey I am a techer with a dot com class and I learned that kids in my class are using google to get to websites that the school blocks how are they doing this

Re: Use google to pass a school proxy

I would first take a spelling class. Since you are a teacher and not a techer...I am just pulling your leg. I am the king of typos myself.

One way they could be getting around this is by using the Google Image Search. Many of these image results that Google can access are not atributed by their domain name that they represent but by the Alt image tag that describes the image. They can then use the image properties to access a website.
    Affordable Medical Insurance
    Discount Dental Plan
    Washington State Health Insurance
    Temporary Health Insurance
    Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

Yea I had a meeting I had to go to about two minutes before typed that. Well I am still stumped. On how they are doing this I have tried to talk to them but teenagers.......Well thanks anyway

Comment

You should try searching using the Google Image search and see if that is how they are getting around it.
        Affordable Medical Insurance
        Discount Dental Plan
        Washington State Health Insurance
        Temporary Health Insurance
        Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

You could block Google websearch as there are other search engines like Yahoo, ask Jeeves etc which do just the samwe job. I think there is some settings within internet settings on the pc which can block access to these types of sites. have a look at this for extra security.
          Arcade Ninja - Free Flash Arcade
          FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Comment

Oh dear seems like it typo day today!! Don't know what going on with my hands today! lol
            Arcade Ninja - Free Flash Arcade
            FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Comment

I registerd just to answer this simple question xD, im a student myself btw. They are using google to get into banned websites by translating the page they want to view with google translator .. they translate the page from like .. any language .. to english which means they are running through googles server/proxy server to view these pages. You can stop this by banning the google translator address. The adress is ... *searches* just ban this address: http://www.google.com/translate?u= (with the =) and they hopefully wont be able to get onto banned sites anymore :P

I suck at spelling .. so dont smite me ite XD

- Hawkinz
              "I r the l33t 14 Y.O Aussie"

-- If anyone needs more help just email me at: Hawkinz******.com
              Because i probobly wont even see this post topic again xD.

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Not to be a downer, but people are always going to find some way around any block you put on the internet at school. In high school everyone at my school were supplied with a laptop. They had one of those parental internet blocks setup on the server and we always found a way around it. Sometime you could get by with just typing a period after the domain extension (ex. google.com. ), after they fixed that people would run a program on their home computer that would basically use the computer as the middleman so unless they banned the ip anyone could use it to go to any website. And Im sure if someone really wanted to and had the knowledge they could setup a website that works like google translator to view a website.

And just a little bit of advise/personal experience. I always figured there were two good ways to deal with students not doing what you want on the computer.

A. Be a hard ass, if you catch any of them on a site you don't want them on give them the worst punishment (for us it was a blue slip, aka which was equivalent to getting 10 detentions and academic probation, after 3 you get expelled). Some teachers would also make us turn our desks to face the teacher, but we had laptops so thats not really an option with a desktop.

B. Just don't bother caring what they do. Granted most of the classes that I had where the teacher took this approach were more difficult, and if you didn't pay attention then failed the tests. Others this wasn't the case and the teacher just didn't care, and the only time this didn't work was when someone was on youtube, or watching a movie or something and other people would start to watch, or start laughing.

Anyway, thats just my experience.

Register/Login Script
                Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

The easiest way to get around this is to just tcp/ip their own internet connection at home. Or.. for instance login to aim, or aol, same thing.. since you dont block that access they can basically use their own server to search anything they want. I mean you do teach these kids how to work around the command prompt.. etc etc..

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                  02036089024 / United Kingdom
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by Watdaflip View Post
                    Not to be a downer, but people are always going to find some way around any block you put on the internet at school. In high school everyone at my school were supplied with a laptop. They had one of those parental internet blocks setup on the server and we always found a way around it. Sometime you could get by with just typing a period after the domain extension (ex. google.com. ), after they fixed that people would run a program on their home computer that would basically use the computer as the middleman so unless they banned the ip anyone could use it to go to any website. And Im sure if someone really wanted to and had the knowledge they could setup a website that works like google translator to view a website.

And just a little bit of advise/personal experience. I always figured there were two good ways to deal with students not doing what you want on the computer.

A. Be a hard ass, if you catch any of them on a site you don't want them on give them the worst punishment (for us it was a blue slip, aka which was equivalent to getting 10 detentions and academic probation, after 3 you get expelled). Some teachers would also make us turn our desks to face the teacher, but we had laptops so thats not really an option with a desktop.

B. Just don't bother caring what they do. Granted most of the classes that I had where the teacher took this approach were more difficult, and if you didn't pay attention then failed the tests. Others this wasn't the case and the teacher just didn't care, and the only time this didn't work was when someone was on youtube, or watching a movie or something and other people would start to watch, or start laughing.

Anyway, thats just my experience.
                    The kids are getting smarter at a younger age. I'm sure after their punishment, they'd figure out another way around it. They feel invincible and there's very little one can do to stop their creativity, unless you can help steer that creative little miniture Einstein mind into doing positive things. Good luck
                    Where's Your Life Going? You might find some help here: http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/banners3.html
                    Who is Pristinelife? http://ourjourneytolife.com/aboutme.html

Comment

Working...
                    X