PDA

View Full Version : Authorising Users

ashishmen
03-04-2007, 10:05 AM
I want users to register on the site (with username and password) at the home page for accessing rest of the pages. Once they register, the access should be automatic & instant. Do I have to create a form to capture their information and then authenticate users (manually or batch), before they can access? But that will lead to time gap between registeration and access & will require admin intervention everytime. How will the Member Login object check and verify the username & password?

I have gone through tutorial at www.vodahost.com/sholaunch.html (http://www.vodahost.com/sholaunch.html) but got confused or missing some point.

Karen Mac
03-04-2007, 03:27 PM
First you have to have a join or some way of gathering the info. Then you have to make a group in the user area and add them to the group and assign a password. Then, you must create some sort of a login, and then the pages you want only accessed by them in properties you must assign to that group.

Karen

ashishmen
03-05-2007, 05:03 AM
If I understand correctly, the user information & assigned password has to be added to the group manually for each user by admin. Can it be made automatic, without admin intervention?

Jeremy
03-05-2007, 06:48 AM
You are going to need some .php scripts here. It's what will keep your site secure with the username and password. If you use .php, if people find the link, it won't show you the page unless they sign in if you know what I mean.

Let me show you George's website that you can go check out, he has a great system that you can go learn more about.

http://www.dbtechnosystems.com/

Karen Mac
03-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Its probably less headache to buy this addon.. pretty reasonable actually

https://addons.soholaunch.com/index.php?pr=View_Addon&addonid=159

Karen

davidundalicia
03-05-2007, 11:41 AM
I have just the system that you are looking for......
If you wish to try out a demo please visit Register Now Demo (http://www.bluevodaforms.com/ademo/index.php)

Karen Mac
03-05-2007, 07:09 PM
David,

Will it work in SOHO? SOHO is crazy about its forms, it has to have their coding incorporated!!!

Karen

davidundalicia
03-05-2007, 07:41 PM
You can link from soho to your bvform, do whats required and then link back to soho.....at least that is my understanding.....I have never used soho!!

Please correct me if I am mistaken...............

Karen Mac
03-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Yes, you can do it via LINKS but you cant put the code in a page within soho, which is what I was trying to say, and if you do it outside of soho, soho wont have access to the table that AUTO generates the code, so they wont be able to login until he manually gives them access.. if that makes sense to you?

Karen

davidundalicia
03-05-2007, 11:53 PM
The linked page (Register now) handles the automatic creation of the passwords, and sends an email link, which must be clicked before allowing

So, no form in soho, no form problems.!!!!!

Karen Mac
03-06-2007, 01:55 AM
The linked page (Register now) handles the automatic creation of the passwords, and sends an email link, which must be clicked before allowing

So, no form in soho, no form problems.!!!!!

David,

But the PASSWORDS wont be authenticated IN SOHO is what im trying to tell you, so how would SOHO know what they are so that they could login into SOHO pages??? Soho wont be connected to the database so passwords wont do them any good.

Karen

Karen Mac
03-06-2007, 02:00 AM
Only way that would work is if he used one or two passwords and user names for everyone and the database sent out those same two etc.. Then it would work, but he would still have to manually go set up those Mock Users in soho with the user name and passwords and mock emails. User names and passwords wouldnt be unique then, nor could he assign them to specific groups

Karen

Bethers
03-06-2007, 02:30 AM
David, he would also have to have pages in BV on THIS site to do this - and most who build in Soho don't.

I think the Soho add-on is the way to go.

navaldesign
03-06-2007, 05:43 AM
A third party loggin script can be implemented in a page, by placing a couple of lines of code in the start of page. Whilst in BV this is very easy, and the code remains in the page whenever you make changes, i have not been able to find in Soho a way of easily implementing code in the Start of Page. If there is a way of doing it (which i don't know because i don't use Soho) then it will be also possible to add any loggin script to Soho. If not, it would require manually adding the code in a php code editor (or simply notepad, or through your File Manager) and then saving and uploading the page code again. However, if a change was made to the page, it would delete the code added.

Karen, is there a way of adding code in Soho's start of page, directly as Drag and drop an object in the page ?

Karen Mac
03-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Naval,

You can do customized includes Ie: html, scripts, php etc as a drag and drop. However, I believe this alone wouldnt work because you would also have to edit in the includes files to accept this script and to write to the database, however, if youd like to play with a page let me know and ill let you in one of my soho stores to look around. Youd also have to look in my voda cpanel so you could go into the soho includes to see what i mean. You could also look in their FORM scripting this way to see how they format the current form scripting. Thats how they MAKE the addons.. I just havent had time to REALLY play and learn this end of it, i can do simple adjustments, but havent gotten into the major ones. LOL i bet you could make some money at soho add ons with it too!

Karen

Karen Mac
03-06-2007, 07:40 AM
IN fact, I just had a headache similar to this in creating an autoresponder for a newsletter, for which I created the table, instead of using theirs. The table created in my sql just fine, but it wouldnt connect to the autoresponder without manually going in and editing the script to connect the two!! I still never got the wrinkles out..and put it on the side for now cuz i have 5000 other major projects to complete too..

Ok thats an exageration, but I do have three other stores which 1 needs product finished, one needs new products added, and all four need link trading done, and press releases to keep up with the big dogs ... Im doing a home and garden show in about 2 weeks, and working on building a NEW store! so .. ok i was only 1500 short.. LOLOL

Karen

davidundalicia
03-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I want users to register on the site (with username and password) at the home page for accessing rest of the pages. Once they register, the access should be automatic & instant. Do I have to create a form to capture their information and then authenticate users (manually or batch), before they can access? But that will lead to time gap between registeration and access & will require admin intervention everytime. How will the Member Login object check and verify the username & password?

I have gone through tutorial at www.vodahost.com/sholaunch.html (http://www.vodahost.com/sholaunch.html) but got confused or missing some point.

We need to go back to the original question and look at the requirements again.

1)..I want users to register on the site (with username and password) at the home page for accessing rest of the pages.

I read this as being: no login/registered = No entry to rest of site.

therefore
soho home page register/login links to BV register/login system:
which stores username/password
which is only activated by returned email link automatically.

BV authenticates user/password and then passes user back to Soho rest of site.
If not logged in, bv returns to Soho home page..........If there are NO other links from soho home page, where else can they go??

2)..Once they register, the access should be automatic & instant.

Covered by using the BV link as above........................

.................................................. ................................................

Now, give me a thousand reasons why this wont work............lol

navaldesign
03-06-2007, 11:03 AM
David, one question, because i don't really understand what you want to say:

A user clicks on a link to get to the Soho site. He does get there, in the home page. And, there is, ofcourse, a menu bar that allowes him to click and see the rest of the Soho site pages. What will prevent him from seeing the rest of the pages ?

Soho, by default, has the menubar displayed. Also, even if you make the first page without menubar, and use a second page, as "home" page with a menu bar, once one has found the link to this second page, what would prevent him from typing in his browser, directly this second "homepage" URL, and from there visiting the rest of the site?

In my opinion, a password protect script must be able to protect every single page, and this i beleive can only be done by implementing, in each page, a "protection" code.

There is also another way, through a database driven "list" of protected pages, but in this case the links in the menubar have to be built in a certain, not so easy, way.

Karen Mac
03-06-2007, 06:26 PM
David,

The passwords he wants to generate are to access the REST of the site, not the home page. He also wants to avoid having to manually email each member and assigning passwords and access to the database for the PROTECTED PAGES.

Your script will work, in that it will create logins and passwords, no one is questioning that. The problem will be how to get SOHO to recognize them. You have to have a way of having SOHO read the database and the PASSWORDS as the passwords are going to be used to LOGIN to SOHO PROTECTED pages.

Please go see www.grannys-nook.com (http://www.grannys-nook.com) I think there are two pages accessible to the public, the rest require a password. You could create your login in script and generate passwords all day long, but they wont work in that sign on. Just like your script wouldnt give me access to your cpanel? If I created it and put a page up and said... Ok sign up here so we can all see davids hosting account and see what he is up to. The script will assign passwords ok, but they still wont get into your account.

Karen

Karen Mac
03-06-2007, 07:00 PM
To further clarify. In soho you create protected pages by first making GROUPS. A group can be one person, say a photographer wants to allow only one client to access a page of proofs. He then Makes a page and in page properties assigns the group.. public, member, Mrsipwich, or whatever it is. He then goes to authorized users and creates a user id, user name, password and their email.. etc.. etc, and assigns the GROUP or pages they can then view. These databases are stored within soho's database system.

The reason your system wont work, is because its not writing to these databases. There are three places it must converge, the group or page assignment, the user assignment, and the sign in database itself.

Karen

navaldesign
03-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Third part loggin scripts work like this: you embedd, in the page code, in the very begging, the protection code. If the code sees that the user is authorised (logged in) it allows the continuation of the code execution, if not, it redirects to the login page, where the user logs in (or registers and then logs in) and then, he is automatically redirected back to the page he came from, or to a predifined page.

In conclusion, if there is a way to include this protection code in the Soho pages, then a third party script would work.

I don't know if this is feasible, because i have very litle knowledge of Soho. I will try to find out.

davidundalicia
03-06-2007, 10:52 PM
I took great pains to mention that I have never ever used Soho, so I am following this thread with great interest..............

Logic is logic and most systems are logical, so we have a Soho home page
with a menu which needs a password before one can view any of the other pages on this website.

Required:
automatic system of login without constantly issuing passwords.

Solution:
set up one username and one password in Soho.....
Soho is happy cos now its got something to look at and check for.....

DO NOT issue this user/password to anyone.......(group user/password)

Now......
on Soho home page you have a text or pic link which says "Register Now"

this takes the potential browser to the 3rd party auto username/password
program, which creates and stores relevent details.

After user has verified his/her details AND activated his/her account then and only then will they be issued automaticallywith the Soho (group) user/password to login and view the rest of the site..................

No initial registration = no group user/password issued = no entry to rest of site..................

Soho home page login will now function as required.

Bethers
03-07-2007, 01:18 AM
OK, I know if I was this person - I wouldn't want to have to build in another program to do what I want, but would want it all on the ONE website.

Just my 2 cents. And it can be done by purchasing the plug in - or, I'm sure, by writing your own code that works with Soho.

Karen Mac
03-07-2007, 03:05 AM
LOLOL>. .. Ok I give up trying to explain!!!

David install soho and do this and see if you can get it to work and let me know...LOLOL. But im telling you its like getting windows to run on a linux server :)

You can only do it with software to make it MERGE!

Karen

Karen Mac
03-07-2007, 03:16 AM
And if this worked with only one password user ID, what happens if for whatever reason you want to disallow this member? You have to then reissue the user ids and passwords, cuz they all have the same one. Even if you ban one person theyd still have access.

Karen

navaldesign
03-07-2007, 03:45 AM
I did try, and i think i have found the way to make it work. I will post details later. Now regarding disallow etc, my loggin script has full database administration area, where you can add, delete, ban, suspend ets users. Also allowes to manage subscriptions (if that is a subscription site) etc. let me verify some things and i will come back.

davidundalicia
03-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Stimulating conversations always produce results Karen....lol

Well done George, look forward to your solution.....

Beth, your 2 cents was worth more.......I have now started to take an interest in Soho.........

Now lets ALL have fun...

Karen Mac
03-07-2007, 05:12 PM
David

You're right it has been stimulating, but I think the poor guy who asked to start with is really CONFUSED now and has his bat out to hit us all!

:)

Karen

davidundalicia
03-07-2007, 05:22 PM
On the other hand, he or she may just have learnt a few things about Soho.....

navaldesign
03-08-2007, 05:26 AM
Ok, here it is: please visit www.soho.dbtechnosystems.com (http://www.soho.dbtechnosystems.com)

I have password protected the Products and Services pages, the rest are free.

Please note that i have only used a subset of my loggin script, so registering, remind password etc functions are not available.

To loggin use Username "demo1" and password "demo1" . If you do want to register, and see how the script reacts to your own username and password, please visit first http://www.dbtechnosystems.com/register.php

register with your own username and password, and then, go back to the first link i gave you, to visit the soho test site.Please note that you CANNOT have both soho's built in group access autorisation AND this (or another third party) loggin script. This is because Soho's autorisation routine is completely different from our own routine. However, group permissions can be handled directly from our script also, so you don't have to use Soho's. If anyone is really interested, our loggin script supports all types of autorisation: admin, moderator, user, group, guest. It also features subscription payment, automatic suspension if the subscription has expired, automatic activation or reactivation of the account (after the payment has been done), email confirmation (admin's option), user banning, IP banning, automatic subscription expiration notificatio, etc as addon modules: you only get what you need.

What is the process? You add a Custom code block in your Soho page. You need, ofcourse, to upload this code. The code uses sessions to see if the user is logged in or not. If he is not, it redirects him to the loggin page (and, from there, if necessary, to the registration or remind password page). After he logs in, he is then automatically redirected back to the protected page where he came from. As simple as that.

Bethers
03-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Naval,
I just want to make sure I understand - to do this, a person would have to work both within Soho and within BV? - so he or she would have to have pages in both for the same website?

And are you saying that this will allow each person to have different logins - and will assign them automatically?

And, he needs people to register from the Soho home page. Am I missing something, or did you just put it on another page to test it?

And, when Soho does their automatic updates will this be a problem?

Karen Mac
03-08-2007, 06:23 AM
Naval,

I havent had time yet to go play, but.. I have a couple of questions... What happens when soho does updates? And will this have any effect on the system itself? And.. Does it require both bv and soho pages?

LOL... Lemme go look in the am, or tomorrow afternoon... right in the middle of things now...but was just curious about those two issues.

Well three issues... does this interfere in the payment process?

Karen

Bethers
03-08-2007, 06:27 AM
LOL Karen - great minds think alike!

navaldesign
03-08-2007, 06:39 AM
I just want to make sure I understand - to do this, a person would have to work both within Soho and within BV? - so he or she would have to have pages in both for the same website?

I havent played yet, but i beleive that i could also create the necessary register / loggin / remind password etc pages directly in Soho.
If that is not possible, then yes, some 3 - 4 pages must be created in BV, within the same folder of the Soho site, as i did. Then, he should also upload on the same folder, the necessary php scripts that make part of it.

And are you saying that this will allow each person to have different logins - and will assign them automatically?

Excactly. And the Admin can also create user groups, and guest accounts. privilleges are defined from within the Admin's control panel. Usernames and passwords are selected by the user (just as it is done in this forum) and checked for being unique before accepted. Account activation may be manual (by the Admin), automatic, automatic after email confirmation, automatic after payment, automatic after payment and email confirmation-

And, he needs people to register from the Soho home page. Am I missing something, or did you just put it on another page to test it?

Users can be asked directly to loggin, or, as i have set it up, which i beleive is better, they are asked to loggin only when they try to reach a protected page. Once they do, the script will allow accees to ALL pages for which this user/pass are allowed.

And, when Soho does their automatic updates will this be a problem?

No, the script is called directly from within the page. Once the code is uploaded in the includes folder, it is not affected by automatic updates or even page updates (unless ofcourse you delete it from the page)

navaldesign
03-08-2007, 06:44 AM
Naval,

I havent had time yet to go play, but.. I have a couple of questions... What happens when soho does updates? And will this have any effect on the system itself? And.. Does it require both bv and soho pages?

LOL... Lemme go look in the am, or tomorrow afternoon... right in the middle of things now...but was just curious about those two issues.

Well three issues... does this interfere in the payment process?

Karen

Not sure which payment process you refer to Karen. However, there is also one more appropriate but CUSTOM MADE solution, that would be ideal:

a script that will update DIRECTLY Soho's groups database. Every single user would be added in that database, no autorisation check should be done, you would simply add the pages in the ones where only members have access to, and soho would do the rest itself.

It is easy (theoretically) to adapt my script for that purpose.

Karen Mac
03-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Naval

You were saying it updates the databases.. etc from all users. Say I had a customer make a purchase, this script adding her to the database wouldnt interfere in the credit card check out part of the shopping cart? (payment process)

Perhaps im not making sense as Im tired.. LONG day! I need to get rich faster so i can quit this DAY job..LOL

Karen

navaldesign
03-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Karen,

i'm not sure (i have not had much time playing with Soho). To be sure, i would need to investigate, OR, let you explain to me.

Let me clarify: up to this moment, i have only dealed with the loggin issue: how you can protect a soho page, with single user loggin (not group loggin, which you can do directly in Soho), and also allow the potential member to register by himself and activate his account according to the Admin's options.

Now, if this is going to have to interact with Soho's shopping Cart, i would need to examine the relationship between Soho's customer database table(if there is one, as i said, i have not spent much time with Soho) and Soho's user groups database table.

In any case, a third part CUSTOM made script, would, in any case, have the ability to update BOTH Soho's tables so i don't see why that would create any problem with the shopping cart. If the script uses the same tables that Soho uses, and if it followes Soho's requirements, it would be very feasible, and would NOT create any problem.

The same script, ofcourse, should perform all necessary checks and validations, uppon user registration, to avoid conflicts and double entries. This is a standard procedure with our script, where username, password and email address are unique. The concept could be extended to Customer name etc.

Karen Mac
03-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Naval,

I think soho runs two different tables for payments/customers and user access, at least i hope so. Id have to go play in mysql to tell you for sure, but it would make more sense to do so, then to try to code one attribute to seperate them. If at any time you would like to sign into my cpanel and look into to just dash me of an email or .. pm on msn.. or aim.. or lets see.. LOL i think i have yahoo too.. just let me know and i will give u that info.

Now major question is.. what would be your charge to do this? or to make the ADD on available?

Karen

navaldesign
03-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Hi Karen, just contact me privately at info @ dbtechnosystems.com . New applications are always very challenging to me, especially when the result will also have a commercial use, so we shall find a common standing point, no worries about this. I will just need some time as i have to deliver three projects and i will also need to analyze Soho's structure. If this is not a problem for say a week or 10 days, we can go on.

Karen Mac
03-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Naval,

Im in no hurry, as I dont need this sort of system really, I mean I could use it on the dropship thing, but I was offering to let you install or look at the structure of a working site with ecommerce so you would be better able to define the variables.

Now.. there is one that i know SEVERAL people would want to buy into and that would be a shipping module that allowed various shipping methods, and I guarantee you I could get you sign ups ALL over for that one! Its asked for constantly. SOHO keeps saying they are going to do it, but it gets put aside for something else. Ive been told if i can get the api codes to work for various methods like dhl, and get it installed they will update the database to allow the customer to choose from more than one method, which .. LOL would be the easy part, just add a BOX in the form.

Just off the top of my head I know about 10 people personally that would purchase that little job, not to mention the MANY that have requested it in the soho forum.

Karen

navaldesign
03-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Karen, can you email me some info on this thing ? (when you have some time) i might be well interested. And i do apreciate your offer about entering your CP to have a look at a really working Soho database. Thank you