Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP Laptop + Vista Desktop: How to combine the power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Laptop + Vista Desktop: How to combine the power?

I just bougth a new monster desktop machine complete with a Core2 Duo, 2GB Ram, a 22 inch widescreen, etc. It is nice and fast, but alas, not portable.

My laptop is still pretty good with XP sp2, p4 1.6Ghz, 768 Ram, High res screen.

The question is, how can I use both together, having both access all my personal files, photos, documents, etc, without manually copying back and forth.

I thought of a potential solution:
    Put all personal files on the desktop and use offline files to keep copies on the laptop...but I still want to keep my Outlook on the laptop in case I need to travel with it. And is offline files reliable enough, that when I go out with my laptop I can be sure I have all my personal files with me? (~6GB).

Or I could try to do the reverse...

is there another solution?

Re: XP Laptop + Vista Desktop: How to combine the power?

Hey,

You can always just transfer all your files to your FTP and then log in your other computer/notebook and take them out and organize it.

All though that takes time. There is something you can buy, its a 2 way USB cord that plugs in each computer and you can easily transfer your files like that, they sell them at like Staples and stuff, its probably like 20$ not even probably 10$
    Best regards,
    Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I have a 100mbps network with a file server as well.

I need to have quick access to the files from both computers, but I guess faster from the desktop as I handle huge graphic files (~100-200mb), but I think with a 100mbps connection that shoudl be fine to pull it over a network right?

Comment

Set up a wireless home network, then you can set up any folder on ether computer to be on the network with permission to change files.
        then which ever computer you are on click the My network icon you can then enter the file on the other computer work on them .

Comment

Working...
        X