Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-publish from backup

Hi folks,
    Recently my computer died and had to get a new one. Fortunately, a month or so ago I made a backup (I think through Cpanel/vodahost). I went into FTP and copied it then opened it (RAR) and not able to find/open the index page in Blue Voda. I also tried downloading from my active site on the web into BV but several things occured: 1. All the images are now independent and not in the 'gallery' that I originally made them in. 2. Many images aren't there. I had to download BV again and I think it's a newer version than the one I was using, could this be a problem?

This site has no links except for image viewing/enlarging and is only one page so I guess the obvious road to take is rebuilding it and re-publishing it although I'm now having trouble linking the images, e.g., I'm not able to see them when previewing. Must I publish it to see the enlarged images? The site is working ok and getting an average of 600 hits a day so don't want to have any down time.
    Sorry for the long post and thanks for any pointers..

www.thai-land-house.com
    Thai House Plans
    Interior - Exterior, 3D Design

www.Thai-Land-House.com

Re: re-publish from backup

The problem is most likely that when you open the pages in BV, the images are not on the new computer in the same files as they were in the old - therefore BV cannot find them. If you want to be able to work within BV, you'll have to "reup" the images there on the new computer that are not on that computer or are in a new location.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hi Beth, sorry for the long delay in responding to your answer.
      I think I understand what you're saying although not a clue how to "reup" the images, unless it means starting all over again.
      I made a backup of the site and now have it on my computer including all the images, both .jpg's and .gif's. Without having to start all over again, how can I upload from the backup to create a BV template/site matching the one that's presently published. I'm assuming that's one of the reasons for creating the backup in the first place.
      In the backup folder there is public.html which I'm assuming is the index page, how can I put this file back into BV or as you said, i must "reup" the images which will take quite awhile. I hope there is a work-around to this.

Much Thanks for your help....Tom

www.thai-land-house.com
      Thai House Plans

www.Thai-Land-House.com

Comment

Tom....

If you have faithfully copied your entire original "Blue Voda" folder from one computer (where it normally resides at "C:\MyDocuments\") to another computer to the same destination ("C;\MyDocuments\"), and using the same procedure for any element imported to your previously created webpage (pictures, files, and the folders any of which resided in -- preserving the original path for each) you are ready to take the last step to establishing a "resident relationship" for these new files:

If you open the BV browser and open a previously published page on the "new" computer, you will note that the page is exactly as you last saved it on the old computer, but the images will have a red "X" on them....this is because the path from the page file and the images has not been re-established (BV knows what to look for, and where to look, but has not yet been called to use that link).
        If you re-publish the page on the second computer, all links will be re-established: "new" comptuer BV file to images (dutifully copied), BV page to server (which already has images stored), and re-saved file to the BV folder.
        The next time you open the page in BV on the "new" computer, all images will present themselves normally.

"Re-up" and such other casual terms can be rather confusing without specific references or methodologies to illustrate the application. Sorry.
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I think I understand what you're saying Vasili, although, I didn't copy the BV folder from another computer; I downloaded a back-up copy I made with Vodahost (I forgot how or where) that include Cpanel, etc., I have the entire backup on my new computer that contains all the data, images, etc,. public.html seems to have everything (images) that are shown on my site but I don't know the trick or process to bring this up in BV....thanks for your help. I will re-read your reply and see if I can sort it out.....

www.Thai-Land-House.com

Comment

Since you didn't save the files from the other computer, but you say this new computer has all the pictures and files on it (right?). ARE all the images and files in the same folders (Location) they were on the original computer, or did you bring them on separately and they may be different?

Following Vasili's great instructions, IF the images are all able to follow the same path, you'll be fine. If any of the images are no longer following the same page (the folder for them is in a different location on this computer???) then you'll have more work to do to associate the correct image and path in order to publish.

I'm sorry if this is confusing - but it's why it's so important to have everything backed up properly.

If you make changes from within your cpanel and publish, all will be fine - it's in the bv files that you have to have that connection to your own computer - for YOU to be able to see the pictures. And if the path has changed and you publish from BV, it will change the image in the cpanel and there will be the red x now on the published page.
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Yes, I have all the images that are inluded on the site but there are in the folder: C:\My Documents\BlueVoda\my webs\backup-2.8.2007_05-27-02\homedir. It appears the backup I did includes "everything" in Cpanel, webmail, fantatico, etc.
              Isn't there a way to re-establish the BV site from the backup without having to name, link, etc., every image?
              Unfortunately, I didn't save or backup the BV folder because I assumed by backing it up 'online' in VH I could retrive it (which I did) and put it back into BV....thanks for taking the time to explain...

www.Thai-Land-House.com

Comment

Isn't there a way to re-establish the BV site from the backup without having to name, link, etc., every image?
                Unfortunately, no. Because BV is working offline from your computer, for it to read the pictures, the path it shows to them has to exist. You could recreate files for the pictures to make that path exist if that would be easier.
                Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

ok, looks like I'll start from scratch. Not so bad though, just a lot of images and I could use the practice also.
                  One more question, When I overwrite the existing site do all the old/existing files remain or do they dissappear? Or should I go into ftp and eliminate everything first before publishing a new site?
                  thanks again....

Tomissan
                  thai-land-house.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, thai-land-house.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                  Thai House Plans

www.Thai-Land-House.com

Comment

If you use the same page names, the pages will overwrite.

If you have all new image file names, the others will remain and you probably will want to delete them AFTER you get the new pages made.

You don't need to completely start from scratch. Just bring up each page and click on the images and reselect the image for that spot based on where the image resides now.
                    Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                    X