Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is 'web 2.0' & should I be concerned about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is 'web 2.0' & should I be concerned about it?

I've been hearing a bit lately about the next generation of the www, which some are calling 'web 2.0'. The suggestion is that online business must be compliant with web 2.0 technology or run into problems in the future.

What I'd like to know is (1) what is web 2.0 and (2) should I be concerned about it as I set up my online business?

Any insight/wisdom greatfully received.

Darren Christie
    Beechworth, Australia.

Re: What is 'web 2.0' & should I be concerned about it?

Here's a link to what it is - by the person who pretty much coined the term.

Web 2.0

Of course, he gives it more credit than the rest of the web world :) - but no, I don't believe it's anything you need to worry about.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks for your reply - the link doesn't seem to be included.

Comment

Is now :)
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Not wanting to start ruffling feathers, I will just state the it was not exactly O'Reilly that "coined" the phrase (despite his proclomation), but nonetheless...... W2 (or Web 2.0) is very, very passe......already, big money is being spent on implementing W3 implications, and is proving to be more applicable to even the smaller online interests (meaning everyone in VodaLand). We seem to be the experts on web-precision on a budget, right?? LOL

For some interesting reading, here are some objective articles I pulled from a very long list to provide somewhat of an overview for you to ponder...

Web2.0: Ingredients For A Site Makeover
          InformationWeek , November 28, 2006
          Putting up a few links and images doesn't cut it anymore. To bring your site into the Web 2.0 world, you need to know about Ajax, ActiveX, RSS, and other key technologies.

Entrepreneurs See a Web Guided by Common Sense - New York Times
          Web 3.0: Web 3.0 - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet!
          Web 3.0Note: by the time Web 3.0 appears we will use many different new interfaces to ... For more thoughtful commentary on Web 2.0, Web 3.0 and the Semantic Web
          A 'more revolutionary' Web - Technology - International Herald Tribune
          Web 3.0. Formerly known as the semantic web

WEB 3.0 Survives the Wikipedias

Using Google, Microsoft, And Yahoo APIs To Create Mashups

Maps Meet Mashups

Weighing technology choices
          Mar. 1, 2007 New e-commerce technology is no longer a choice between best-of-breed or single-source provider. Web integration technology makes both possible—in the same installation. By Paul Demery New e-commerce technology is no longer a choice between best-of-breed or single-source provider. Web integration technology ...

Scientific Site Strategy
          Feb. 1, 2007 Navigating the depths of multivariable testing By Gordon H. Bell and Roger Longbotham, multivariable testing has made a big splash in the last few years with online retailers, yet this sudden success is really riding the crest of a wave that’s been building for years. Multivariable testing—also called ...

. VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
          X