Forum dump/transfer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum dump/transfer...

I know this has been asked before and I don't understand it.How can "I" back-up my other forum and transfer it to this one with Voda Host?

The last time I transfered from a free forum to my other host,they(Computer tech) did it and scrambled the post,in other words,the post did not match the author of 5,000 post at that time.

Any help to get it right the first time with everything in tact and proper, would be appreciated.

Jayco

Re: Forum dump/transfer...

I forgot to add,they are both phpBB forums udated to 2.022 but with slightly different sub-forums.I tried a back-up from one to the other and it didn't work but maybe you have to be on sub-silver to do it?

Thanks...Jayco

Comment

You also need to transfer all the phpBB files from old to new since the old one has mods installed.
      1. Make a database backup on the old forum.
      2. Download to your pc all the phpBB files from the old forum.
      3. Create a new, empy database on the VH server through your Cpanel > Manage Mysql Databases
      4. Upload the database backup into this database. (Cpanel > Manage Mysql > phpmyadmin. Choose the new database and import the backup.)
      5. Edit the config.php file from the old forum to match the new server settings. Host is localhost, database name is whatever you named the database, username is your Cpanel username and password is the database password.
      6. Upload the old files onto the server (I recommend putting them into a separate folder from your new forum just in case there are mistakes.)
      Once finished, you should be able to access your old forum on the VH server by going to yourdomain.com/folder_you_uploaded_to/index.php.

Be very careful to make a copy of the config.php file before editing.
      My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Once again,thank you for the step by step procedure.I appreciate it more than you will ever no.

Jayco

Comment

I didn't quite workout uploading it into my SQL via php admin.I did edit my data base name only for this post as I didn't feel it should be public and could not find a PM button.

But I got this error!
          Error

SQL query:
          -- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
          -- version 2.8.0.1
          -- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
          --
          -- Host: 127.0.0.1:3306
          -- Generation Time: Mar 19, 2007 at 02:23 PM
          -- Server version: 4.1.20
          -- PHP Version: 4.3.11
          --
          -- Database: `jaycoXXXX`
          --
          CREATE DATABASE `jaycoXXXX` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;

MySQL said:
          #1044 - Access denied for user 'fzlarikb'@'localhost' to database 'jaycoXXXXXXX'
          Jayco

Comment

It's a password issue. Try assigning a new password to that particular database and editing the config.php to match. Worse comes to worst, you can use your Cpanel password, but that would be a last resort.

If you continue having problems, email me at racefan20n11******.com and I can help you with it Tuesday evening.
            My NASCAR Forum

Comment

I opened the file(database) I have saved on my computer.It looks like something that a military code breaker would have a hard time cracking.

My password on the new database and Voda Host are the same.Only the usernames are different.

How do I change my password on the already downloaded database?

Jayco

Comment

OK..I did not change anything including passwords but I thought why not try again while I went and did something,nothing to loose..

It worked this time for whatever reason.I will continue with your steps from where I left off and see If I can finish what I started.

Thanks

Jayco

Comment

Good luck, let me know how it turns out for you.
                  My NASCAR Forum

Comment

I have it downloaded in my sql database in two places.The new database I created and my current phpBB database.

I just got through downloading it into my current phpBB database and it took/files went from 29 to 89 and they are there but they did not overide or show up on the phpBB forum?How do I make them show up?

I don't think I explained previously what I wanted to do very well.

1-I want to download this dump/back-up of my other hosted phpbb forum into my Voda Host phpBB forum as it is,basically empty and non-used other than for testing.

Thank you for the help.
                    Jayco

Comment

You'd need to go into your current VH phpBB forum's database and drop all tables before importing the database from the old forum, which I why I suggested you simply create a new database. If you're hoping to somehow 'merge' your old forum with your new one, it doesn't work that way.
                      My NASCAR Forum

Comment

OK..Maybe that is why in a previous dump from a free forum the post were scrambled in merging althouth they did merge with only the dump being scrambled.

I have the dump sql in a new data base on Voda Host.I guess I got lost between #5 and #6 in your instructions.
                        1. Edit the config.php file from the old forum to match the new server settings. Host is localhost, database name is whatever you named the database, username is your Cpanel username and password is the database password.
                        2. Upload the old files onto the server (I recommend putting them into a separate folder from your new forum just in case there are mistakes.)
                        Somehow it converted without my doing anything as far as local host etc.

I don't understand the upload the files onto the server(what server) and how to put them in a folder in phpmyadmin.

They are in myphpadmin as another database.I can choose the default Voda Host data base or the new one I created but am stuck there as what to do.

Thank you again.

Jayco

Comment

Originally posted by jayco
                          OK..Maybe that is why in a previous dump from a free forum the post were scrambled in merging althouth they did merge with only the dump being scrambled.

I have the dump sql in a new data base on Voda Host.I guess I got lost between #5 and #6 in your instructions.

Somehow it converted without my doing anything as far as local host etc.

I don't understand the upload the files onto the server(what server) and how to put them in a folder in phpmyadmin.

They are in myphpadmin as another database.I can choose the default Voda Host data base or the new one I created but am stuck there as what to do.

Thank you again.

Jayco
                          You use ftp to upload them into a directory in your public_html folder on the server.

The part about localhost, etc, comes into play when you edit your config.php file. PLEASE make a copy of that file before you edit it.
                          My NASCAR Forum

Comment

racefan
                            I appreciate the help you have given to me.I also submitted a help ticket on the 19th without a reply to date.I cannot wait 12/24 hrs for responses to keep my forum up and running correctly.I had planned on moving it all to Voda Host but those plans have changed only because of lack ot tech support..

My ticket dated the 19th is still pending.I will stay where I am from lack of support from Voda Host tech support.

My thanks to you as a poster for the help you have given me.I submitted basically the same reply to my ticket yesterday without any reply at all in 24 hrs...Seems they do not care and I am forced not to also.

Thanx again.

Jayco

Comment

Okay, if you change your mind, just get in touch and I'll help you. Hell, I'll do it for you if you need me to. This is a five or ten minute process.
                              My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X