link to pdf does not recognize it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• link to pdf does not recognize it

Hello. I really would like to physically have someone call me who can talk me through this because the related tutorial about loading the pdf into public_html does not give enough info, I have searched endlessly through threads and cannot find one that addresses my problem, I have done this a thousand different ways none of which work, a So, my problem is...

I have put my 3 pdf files into public_html under my domain name folder. When I go to BlueVoda construct pages, I highlight the name of the link, insert the url, go to preview the page, click on the link, and get an error - page cannot be found. I have tried making a pdf folder in the domain folder, I have tried puting the pdf's straight into the domain folder, I have made sure it ends in .pdf (www.domainname.com/pdftitle.pdf). Abdobe sent it to me with caps and punctuations so I renamed it to numbers and small letters with no improvement. I have tried the link in the second line with and without the http:// in front. I have been doing all through my BlueFTP screen.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks, everybody, in advance for trying to help me.
    Cheryle

Re: link to pdf does not recognize it

Please list the domain name you wish to publish this pdf to

Please also list the exact name that the pdf is called

Please also let us know if this domain name is your main domain or is an add on domain

With all of this information we will be able to let you know where you may be going wrong .....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

The domain is mine, www.abusersandcheaters.com.

3 different pdf's (renamed by me to) s9cpd4m, 18stratiqxpj, and 10pmr653z12ay.

I have been putting pdf "s9cpd4m" from my J (flash) drive under public_html folder "abusersandcheaters" and listing the link as
      www.abusersandcheaters.com/s9cpd4m.pdf and
      www.abusersandcheaters.com/18stratiqxpj.pdf and
      www.abusersandcheaters.com/10pmr653z12ay.pdf.

When I preview, clicking those links say file not found.

Comment

Oh, I saw a discussion on another page about putting the link into an inline frame. I tried that, too, but the link did not show up as underlined and I could not get it to work???

Comment

Originally posted by plrm2
          The domain is mine, www.abusersandcheaters.com.

3 different pdf's (renamed by me to) s9cpd4m, 18stratiqxpj, and 10pmr653z12ay.

I have been putting pdf "s9cpd4m" from my J (flash) drive under public_html folder "abusersandcheaters" and listing the link as
          www.abusersandcheaters.com/s9cpd4m.pdf and
          www.abusersandcheaters.com/18stratiqxpj.pdf and
          www.abusersandcheaters.com/10pmr653z12ay.pdf.

When I preview, clicking those links say file not found.

Okay

What you need to do is this for each pdf

Open up a new page in your blue voda webbuilder, go to tools, choose ftp manager, choose connect, on the left side of your screen you will see the files to your computer, on the right side of the screen, once connected, you will see your files in your file manager .... browse through the left side of the screen (your own computer files) and locate the pdf files ... on the right side of your screen, double click the public_html directory, you will now have that open ... you then click on the pdf files on the left and slide them across into the public_html directory ...

the link to each pdf will then be as follows, with the exception of changing the name of the pdf each time ....

http://www.abusersandcheaters.com/s9cpd4m.pdf

Interesting domain name, must go and have a look .... oops, I see you are not ready for lookers yet, be sure to let us know when ready ... tks

Hope this works for you, if not post back again ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks, ladyeye. Tried that, no luck. I even renamed the files with ".pdf" and that did not work. I have noticed that when in BlueVoda where you create the page, highlight the words to trigger the link (http://www...pdf), go to "insert link" (link box opens up) and on the second line where you add http://www...pdf somtimes it looks like it loses my link address. but other times when I check it the link is in there just like you and I have written it. Then I preview in browser, and no luck again.

Comment

Hi again, sounds like you have the process to of getting the pdf right, the linking process and everything, perhaps it is simply just a matter that you have not yet published the page yet, so therefore the link cannot work .... try publishing the page and see if that works, you can always go to file manager and remove the page you have published if you do not want it published yet .....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Okay, same results with publishing so I am going to put my index page back to "Site under contruction for now." I am going to look around the forums to see what HTTP 404 error means.

Comment

The 404 or Not Found error message is an HTTP standard response code indicating that the client was able to communicate with the server, but either the server could not find what was requested, or it was configured not to fulfill the request and not reveal the reason why. 404 errors should not be confused with "server not found" or similar errors, in which a connection to the destination server cannot be made at all.
                  Best regards,
                  Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Okay, that leaves me with what? I originally took the domain with cheapies.com, then found that I had to forward that domain to here to get it this site work. So, if my index page with BlueVoda works, that should mean my domain is forwarding correctly to here, or not? I did not transfer any parts of a site or anything, just the name. All information for the domain was created here. When I go to Internet Explorer and type in www.domain.com, it gives me my index page. When I type it with the file that contains the links PLUS text (all in one big "insert text box") www.domain.com/insertfilename.html, that works, too. When I try www.domain.com/insertpdfname.pdf, I get the 404 message. Any more ideas?

Comment

Okay one more idea ....

try renaming the pdf with a simpler name ... perhaps just call it one

and see if that does the trick ... it is a pdf file right ... like it has the appearance of a pdf document and all ....

try that and of course then change the link to it as well ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Okay, did that. No go.
                        However, try following me here... I go to BlueVoda, open my BlueVodawhateverpage (which is where the links are supposed to be), highlight the words I typed www.domain.com/title.pdf,
                        click on "insert" "link",
                        type in the link www.domain.com/title.pdf,
                        go "okay" (which closes that window),
                        save it rightaway as BlueVodapagewhatever (new info over old),
                        publish it.
                        Then I go to BlueFTP,
                        on the right side delete the file because it contains the old info,
                        on the left side change my directory (to clear it),
                        go back to C:BlueVoda where I saved my new BlueVodapagewhatever,
                        left click drag and drop from left side to right side under domainnamefolder.
                        Now, when I double click the BlueVodapagewhatever, go to the blue/underscorewords, it shows my link info has blanked out (gone!).
                        This may be why it cannot find the pdf? Why will it not save my link instructions?
                        Sorry for the length and not-so-clarity. I hope the question makes sense?

Comment

click the below to learn how to create a download

Provide us the download link you have created for inspection.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I have tried my links different ways trying to fix this. My current links have all been renamed (on my flash drive, on BlueFTP, and in my document) 3 times (1st, to eliminate the % in the title that Adobe gave it, 2nd to eliminate at hyphens and capitals, and 3rd to shorten it for ease).

http://www.abusersandcheaters.com/bigg.pdf
                            http://www.abusersandcheaters.com/overten.pdf
                            http://www.abusersandcheaters.com/tennn.pdf
                            This is how I wrote the links on my "Thanks for purchasing" page in the "insert link" screen.

On the BlueFTP public-html screen, they are just labeled with an Adobe "red swirly symbol" in front of their names bigg, overten, and tennn.

In the text on my "Thanks for purchasing" page, they are listed as
                            www.abusersandcheaters/bigg.pdf, and .../overten.pdf and ...?tennn.pdf.

Comment

Sorry, typo in last post. I meant test on purchasing page was .../tennn.pdf, not ...?tennn.pdf.

Comment

Working...
                              X