Automatic DL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic DL

Hey, does anyone know how to make a file automatically download when the user opens a page?
    Ex. When someone opens index.html, the file dl.exe automatically downloads to C:\ folder.

Re: Automatic DL

You could put a redirect up on the index to the location of the file, but that will also take them from the index as well. Without an external script I dont know of a way

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Please forgive me, but I just had all kinds of warning signs flash through mind when I read your post.

1. a file named, "dl.exe" ??? -perhaps if it were a ZIP like "dl.zip" then I probably wouldn't mind having a webpage "give me no choice" in initializing a download process.

2. download to "C:\" ??? -uh, this is ROOT of the C drive. Now, when think:

"download | dl.exe | C:\"

...well, I am almost certain my computer will go out of its way to WARN me NOT to allow the download of it. Mainly because of two things:

1. highly suspicious file due to the filename. "dll" and "exe" files can do some interesting things to someones pc, and with good anti-spy/ad/mal/virus/rootkits etc., this would appear to the security mechanisms as a potential threat,mainly because:

2. the file wants to be downloaded to the ROOT of the systems drive(typically). When you launch a program from the root of a drive, that program may inherit certain permissions that it shouldn't.

Well, that's just what went through my mind when I read your post, that's all. I thought I would share them with you and anyone who reads this. I would love to hear any insight you or anyone may have.
      Robert
      www.GraphXntrix.com
      Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Please forgive me, but I just had all kinds of warning signs flash through mind when I read your post.
        I agree...Do not even think about it!!!! Sounds very dodgy...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you kindly.
          Robert
          www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

Yeah, you have a good point there that sounds pretty fishy I didnt really explain it that well. Users on the site Im making(well remaking) need certain programs to view/interact with certain features on Most of my pages, and i wanted the files to download automatically, rather than have the person viewing the site look for and download the programs. I will most likely just provide links to where the software can be downloaded then.
            Thanks though.

Comment

What do you mean by -
              need certain programs to view/interact with certain features
              ??

do you mean like BHO's (Browser Helper Objects), ActiveX controls, or something else..like a plug-in of some sort?
              Robert
              www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

If I jumped onto a webpage to check it out and it automatically tried to download programs I would be very upset...

You need to place a notice on your page that to view certain objects you need specific programs and then give them a choice to download these. This will allow you to keep your customers happy... that is what it is all about!
                Naturally Yours,
                Dori
                www.earthelixirs.com
                www.earthelixirsinc.com
                www.mineralmakeupdiva.com
                www.virtualdesigndiva.com
                www.enhancemineralcosmetics.com

Comment

Working...
                X