Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance accessing osCommerce for initial configuration

Good afternoon:

I am a brand new VodaHost customer and could sure use some help...

I have domains registered but not through VodaHost. I have successfully changed the name servers over to the VodaHost servers for one domain which I am using as my top level domain.

I have also created an add on domain but have not changed the name servers as this is currently a live site that I intend to rebuild and host on VodaHost.

I have installed osCommerce in both of the domains into a directory called "oscsc" and have been attempting to access the osCommerce shopping cart to begin the configuration. (The tutorials explain how to configure osCommerce but not how to access it in the first place.) I am sure this is probably a real newbie question but I am completely stumped.

When I access my domain, interfacenetwork.biz, it give me a list of the sub directories, one of which is oscsc. When I click on oscsc it gives me an error...
    Server Requirement Error: register_globals is disabled in your PHP configuration. This can be enabled in your php.ini configuration file or in the .htaccess file in your catalog directory.
    I have submitted a ticket to have support resolve this issue. Am I correct to assume this has to be taken care of before I can access the shopping cart to begin the configuration or can I proceed somehow in spite of this error?

Thanks in advance for the assist,

Larry
    Larry

World Globes & Gemstone Globes

Re: Assistance accessing osCommerce for initial configuration

HI LARRY!

I have two questions? One how long has it been since you pointed the domain servers? If less than 24 hours.. it probably hasnt propogated yet! And number two, how are you typing in your string to your admin? it should be something like
    www.mymaindomain.com/oscsc/admin

Now if you are trying to do it to the addon, and the addon folder is the same as the domain you are pointing elsewhere, I think you will have to treat it as a sub for the interim. Ie:
    www.mysubdomain.com/mymaindomain.com/oscsc/admin

or maybe switch the sub and main.. LOL.. My brain hasnt had enough coffee yet to be absolute and is still under cobwebs!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hello Karen:

I really appreciate your response, I was starting to feel rather lonely in here.

In answer to your questions;
      ...One how long has it been since you pointed the domain servers?
      I re pointed my name servers on Friday afternoon. On Saturday they had not propagated yet but as of Monday morning I was hitting the VH servers.

...And number two, how are you typing in your string to your admin?
      I have actually tried a number of things since I really didn't know the proper way to access the osCommerce software.
      1) I maneuvered directory by directory to the "oscsc" directory. When attempting to move into this directory I received the error message identified in my initial post.
      2) I attempted to access the directory using the method you described, www.interfacenetwork.biz/oscsc/admin. This brings up a log in screen. Upon entering the log in information I receive the error previously identified.
      3) I attempted to access my add on directory using www.interfacenetwork.biz/worldglobeu/oscsc/admin and it again brought up the log in screen. Upon entering the log in information I receive the error previously identified.

If I am understanding your post, I should have been able to access the osCommerce software in order to do the setup. Since every attempt results in the following error;
      Server Requirement Error: register_globals is disabled in your PHP configuration. This can be enabled in your php.ini configuration file or in the .htaccess file in your catalog directory.
      I assume the problem is in the configuration of the php.ini and .htaccess files.

I submitted a ticket to VH support on Friday (medium priority) to have this resolved and have not heard anything back. Do I need to nudge support and if so how do I proceed?

Thanks in advance,
      Larry

Comment

Hi Larry,
        Which I understood OSC - but do not. You can go into your support ticket either from the email you were sent or from your control panel on VodaHost support - and send another message. It's very unusual to not hear anything in that time frame. Did you get the initial support email? Make sure they aren't going to your spam folder by accident.

OSCommerce also has their own forum where you might be able to get some help with this.
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Good afternoon Beth:

I did not receive a confirmation e-mail on my first submission. That being said, I just went back through the same process and submitted a new ticket. I did receive a confirmation e-mail this time and it even provided me with my password so I can now log into the support center to view my tickets.

There is no sign of the first ticket I submitted so I suspect there must have been a problem somewhere along the way and it was never processed/accepted by the VH system.

Regardless of the initial problem, the second ticket is showing, so hopefully the support team will be able to get my issue resolved quickly.

Thanks for the info on how the process should have worked, I feel much better about things now.

Cheers,
          Larry

Comment

I think support will have to fix it as i think thats a php formatting or query error that you dont have access to fix, well you could try to fix it by creating your own php.ini file, but if its an installation error it wont do u any good.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Karen & Beth:

The VH support took care of the issue and I can now access the osCommerce installations. I hope it doesn't turn out that the learning curve is too steep to get my sites rebuilt in a timely fashion.

I have run into an additional issue that I don't really understand. The osCommerce installation in my my domain loads very quickly while the one installed into my add on domain loads very slowly and all of the images show as broken image links.

Both installations were made using Fantastico and I think other than the installation address and the log in/password the installations are identical. Any ideas what would cause the slow loading? Is this a characteristic of an add on domain for some reason? This one has me rather baffled...

Thanks for all your help,
              Larry

Comment

There shouldn't be any difference in the loading time for the add-on. I can't answer why that might be happening.

OsC was a big learning curve when I looked at it - but lots use it - you'll figure it out :)

Glad that the installation is fixed and working.
                Beth
                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                X