Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a search/datatables

Hi evereyone!!

Can someone please help, im having some trouble with my search!

I have been creating a database of positions vacant for my website.

I have created a new database table called vacancies

i have created a form that allows me to add additional positions vacacnt to the site, so that it can be entered straight into the database.
    www.pulselocums.com.au/index.php?pr=addvacancies
    when i enter data from this method, all spaces appear as _ which really doesnt look good in my site?(please advise if this can be removed- apart from the manual method)

When i initial setup the database i ran a few tests and the search functions would work, i wanted to search by state and speciality.(this was done by manually inserting the data straight into the database)

I also have created the search page.
    www.pulselocums.com.au/index.php?pr=search

I have also re-created the search fields to ensure that the table information has been added and that the relevant fields appear.

But when i run a search all the results appear?? i dont know why this is the case. if anyone can offer any suggestions it will be greatly appreciated.

Zubin

Re: Creating a search/datatables

Zubin

I cant answer that one for you, as thats NOT my current specialty, and I did income tax all day and my brain is fried. If no one answers see if you can find naval or david on how to tune up the search string.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Dear Karen,

How do i get intouch with naval or david? no one has replied..

let me know, thank you very much.

zubin

Comment

Zubin

Look for one of their posts.. find their site and email them from the site.

I feel confident I could probably find it looking at your script and files, but, Its one thing for me to mess up my stuff experimenting and another for me to do yours. Id feel much better with one of them helping you.. then to tell you wrongly.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Well I faced the similar problem. I guess, if you modify the database after creating the form & linking to databse, the search doesn't work & shows every record. My suggestion is not to fiddle around with database ( though may not look very good on web site).

In this case, you may have to start fresh......Unless someone has a better idea.

Comment

Unless one has access to the database and the forms used to input to the database, its imposible to give Any advice.

Looking at your website, I kept going around in circles looking for the search facility.

I also tried out one of the forms and gave up in the end as the error messages were not at all helpful.

Unless you really know what you are doing, I suggest that you hire someone to have a look and then take it from there.........

NavalDesign, Watdaflip, and myself offer this type of service..........

If you wish to see a demo database with search facilities go here
            or here
            Have fun
            Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
            Newbies / Beginners Forum
            FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
            My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
            Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

I dont know Wat, but I do know David and Naval.... and both are excellent at databases, and as excellent people to know! You wont go wrong with either of them!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by zubin11 View Post
                Hi evereyone!!

Can someone please help, im having some trouble with my search!

I have been creating a database of positions vacant for my website.

I have created a new database table called vacancies

i have created a form that allows me to add additional positions vacacnt to the site, so that it can be entered straight into the database.
                www.pulselocums.com.au/index.php?pr=addvacancies
                when i enter data from this method, all spaces appear as _ which really doesnt look good in my site?(please advise if this can be removed- apart from the manual method)

When i initial setup the database i ran a few tests and the search functions would work, i wanted to search by state and speciality.(this was done by manually inserting the data straight into the database)

I also have created the search page.
                www.pulselocums.com.au/index.php?pr=search

I have also re-created the search fields to ensure that the table information has been added and that the relevant fields appear.

But when i run a search all the results appear?? i dont know why this is the case. if anyone can offer any suggestions it will be greatly appreciated.

Zubin
                I am having the same problem.
                Can anyone help. In my case it either shows everthing or nothing instead of the entries relevant to the search.
                Please help.

Comment

Using the databases in soho launch is a bit trickier and different. Use their FORMMAKER to set up the fields you want, then create the database using the EXACT same fields to populate it from the form.

Thats the best, simplest way I can explain it. It requires custom scripting to make a database OUTSIDE of soho to work with soho.

They have a SEARCH add on, if this is what you are wanting on the addon site. You can also simply drop a SHOPPING/product and select a search box instead of a product to drop on your page.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
                    Using the databases in soho launch is a bit trickier and different. Use their FORMMAKER to set up the fields you want, then create the database using the EXACT same fields to populate it from the form.

Thats the best, simplest way I can explain it. It requires custom scripting to make a database OUTSIDE of soho to work with soho.

They have a SEARCH add on, if this is what you are wanting on the addon site. You can also simply drop a SHOPPING/product and select a search box instead of a product to drop on your page.

Karen
                    I am able to set up the databse successfully using formmaker in soho and then create a search for it.
                    The problem is that the search does not return any result even though the data is there in the database table. I can even see it in the dropdown menu.
                    Now I did a lot of checks and observations to figure out the following:

After carefull examination I found :
                    1) The table created using form enters the data as BLOB.
                    2) The table created using the database manager enters data as string by default which is searchable and works perfectly with search table thing.

As a result :
                    1) The data entered through form does not give result as data is as BLOB but search function needs string.
                    2) If the table is created manually using database manager and has the same fields as the table fields, the data format is STRING, and the form does not enter data into it.

So now my problem is that is there a way in which I can configure the form to enter data as STRING and not as BLOB or the other way or configure search to search data as BLOB.

I know this may be very confusing but I really need your help, and help from anyone else as well.

It is much appreciated.
                    Thanks

Comment

Works like a charm now.
                      Although I must say that we first have to create the form and the table using the form.
                      Then we must make the first entry in the form otherwise the table is not generated till then.
                      Now I changed BLOB to CHAR by going to DATABASE and clicking on MODIFY for the generated table.
                      Then I made a search for the table and placed it on the website.
                      And everything works perfectly now.
                      Although I had to delete the first entry that I made to generate the table as the entries were changed probably because I moved from BLOB to CHAR.
                      Works like a charm NOw.
                      I must thank lwyau for his kind help and time.
                      Not to forget Karen.
                      Your help is much appreciated guys.

Comment

Youre welcome, and ya.. lwy is pretty useful.. sometimes...lol. Ive done these things, but unless im sitting at the builder and working on it.. i have a hard time remembering step by step, as I work with about 4 or 5 different builders at any given time proficiently, and I forget what doesnt jump to the forefront, that I do without thinking about, isnt so for someone else.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                        X