Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• naming pages

Hi,
    I have watched the video many times on this subject and need a little clarification. When I "save page as" do I NOT put an extension (html)at the end of the name? This queston applies to both the index page and the sub pages.
    Then when I go to link these
    pages together, do I then add the html extension?

Thanks for any help
    Ron

Re: naming pages

Originally posted by lodgepole
    Hi,
    I have watched the video many times on this subject and need a little clarification. When I "save page as" do I NOT put an extension (html)at the end of the name? This queston applies to both the index page and the sub pages.
    Then when I go to link these
    pages together, do I then add the html extension?

Thanks for any help
    Ron
    You are absolutely correct Ron .... the only difference being the index page, your main page, does not ever need the addition of the .html

It is a stand alone page that is different ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks for the response.
      When I "save as" without an extension, there is a .bvp automatically added. Is this correct? It happens with both the index and the sub pages.
      Ron

Comment

Thanks for the response.
        When I "save as" without an extension, there is a .bvp automatically added. Is this correct? It happens with both the index and the sub pages.
        Ron

.bvp is the file extension that is in use by blue voda when you create a page and save it, it is saved to your computer as a .bvp file ...

You don't ever need to use this extension in your writings of page names, titles or linking .... it is automatically done for you, correct.

This page is then published as .html or .php (if you right click on page properties you will see file extension, it is set at .html) This is how the page turns into .html when published ...

You then need to use the .html when linking only from one page to another. Keeping in mind, your index page is treated differently and never needs the addition of the .html

Linking your index page, which is your domains url or address, only needs the http://www.yourdomainname.com for all other pages in terms of linking from one to the other you type http://www.yourdomainname.com/nameofpage.html

Remember this is for linking pages from one to the other ...

Naming, saving and publishing is just by the name you have given, other than your main page, which must be named index

Hope this helps you understand the process!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks again
          This is most helpful. I wish the video would have explained it this well
          Ron

Comment

You are very welcome Ron

There really is so much to learn and I am afraid that giving more in the video would just add to the confusion.

Chatting and talking about such things is really what makes things more understandable, I think this goes for everything ...

And well Voda has the greatest support forum in the world, right here and that certainly helps with everything, they've done things right!!!!!!

Voda Rocks!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I suppose you are right about the video.
              One more question (maybe) It is kin to the same matter.
              I want to have a popup screen that is responding to a click on "about my company" where I may inform my viewer who and what I am. I have the text in a word file but do not know how to go from there.
              What is the best way to accomplish this? How do I name this file? Where will it reside?
              Thanks
              Ron

Comment

I suppose you are right about the video.
                One more question (maybe) It is kin to the same matter.
                I want to have a popup screen that is responding to a click on "about my company" where I may inform my viewer who and what I am. I have the text in a word file but do not know how to go from there.
                What is the best way to accomplish this? How do I name this file? Where will it reside?
                Thanks
                Ron

Personally, I would create one of your, "sub pages" as "About My Company".

It is always nice to have the navigation throughout your site, the same on every page. What I mean by this, is have all links to all pages of your site on every page of your site.

So if your site has 4 pages something like what follows here

1. Main Page
                2. About Us
                3. Whatever
                4. Whatever

Then having the navigation menu, or buttons, that link to these 4 pages on all of your 4 pages is what I call easy navigation.

So if you create, as a subpage, a page named, saved and published as aboutmycompany then the link to this would be http://www.yourdomainname.com/aboutmycompany.html

You apply that link either in the form of a navigation button, or as a text link ...

If you wanted this page clickable from the text About My Company, (somewhere on a written page) you would highlight the words About My Company, and insert the url (address) http://www.yourdomainname.com/aboutmycompany.html
                (of course replacing yourdomainname with your real domain name)

But you must build your About My Company page firstly, and then you can link to it from wherever you like.

Building this page, will remain on your computer as a .bvp file as we discussed, and will be published as one of your (as you call them) sub pages ...

Is that what you would like to do? Just remember, when you copy the text from the word document, you will need to make adjustments in the text on your blue voda page, you know things like size, font and even spacing adjustments ... you can copy and paste it, but will need to make these kinds of adjustments ...

Remember to keep your page sizes in blue voda to the '800 width, check this before publishing and tick center in browser on your page properties, this will keep everything together in check!!

Check my site, www.ladyeye.net and you will see what I mean. I also explain that and a few more things in my tips if you would like to read them

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks AGAIN!! That is what I will do, create a page aboutmycompany.
                  Forgive me for taking up so much time, but,
                  two more things and I will have enough for today.
                  1. Images that i have throughout my pages: will they be uploaded to the host site when I publish (today I hope). Do I need to move them into the image folder in BV. Is it done automatically? Right now they are in a folder on m C drive.

2. I have one category of product under "Caterpiller Parts" that will require 3 or 4 pages to list them all. I would like to have at the bottom of the page "1 2 3 4" to click on to go to the next desired page. I guess I can simply create those pages, name them, and then where the numbers are at the bottom of page, highlight and insert the url address as you said. I tried that by right clicking the highlighted text, clicked HTML and a box "object html" comes up. Is this where i put the url address? It has before tag, inside tag, and after tag. Am I in the right place?

Comment

Thanks AGAIN!! That is what I will do, create a page aboutmycompany. You're welcome!
                    Forgive me for taking up so much time, but,
                    two more things and I will have enough for today. lol ... It's pretty hard to get enough of Blue Voda ... I think so anyway!
                    1. Images that i have throughout my pages: will they be uploaded to the host site when I publish (today I hope). Do I need to move them into the image folder in BV. Is it done automatically? Right now they are in a folder on m C drive.

When you insert the images on the blue voda page you create, the images will be uploaded at the same time. Blue Voda creates an image folder on your computer with your Blue Voda files on your computer, and a copy of your images will go into that folder, sometime takes a while, but they will appear.

2. I have one category of product under "Caterpiller Parts" that will require 3 or 4 pages to list them all. I would like to have at the bottom of the page "1 2 3 4" to click on to go to the next desired page. I guess I can simply create those pages, name them, and then where the numbers are at the bottom of page, highlight and insert the url address as you said. I tried that by right clicking the highlighted text, clicked HTML and a box "object html" comes up. Is this where i put the url address? It has before tag, inside tag, and after tag. Am I in the right place?
                    Yes you can call those pages each individually, parts1 parts2 parts3 and parts4 and at the bottom of each page you can add the word NEXT, and then highlight the word NEXT, and go to your toolbar above, click on insert, then choose link, then a box will appear, Link type = http: URL = http://www.yourdomainname.com/parts1.html
                    and so forth from one page to another ...

NO, you do not use insert html (that is found under advanced) that is for something different again, for another day, like you say ... lol

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hello BV users and gurus
                      I too have spent many hours trying to set my index page. I believe the problem is, over a period of time (many nights) I would watch the tutorials. By the time, I played in BV to get comfortable it was probably a month. Guess what tutorial I watched on the first day. How to name your pages. So it was frustrating until I actually watched them all again and then again. Now my next problem. My wife has a business with many different services eg) designer and maker of wedding attire, skatewear and dancewear. www.reidsunlimiteddesigns.com was created (as a starting point) nothing is linked to it as of yet. For the skatewear www.reidsunlimiteddesigns.com/skatewear.html was born. Now if I want an About Us page in skatewear I tried naming the site "skatewear/aboutus" but as the gurus guessed, it would not let me save the page in BV. I know URLs can have these characters as the page I am on has these characters in it
                      http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/new...ote=1&p=139461
                      This of course, as everything else is probably very easy but I am hoping someone can make it easy for me!
                      Thanks fourreids

Comment

If I hear you correctly, I am understanding you kind of want to make two different websites, one for wedding and one for skating?? Is this what you wish to do, or do you just simply want to make an about me page that would service both the sites (as you kind of call them)???

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hello BV users and gurus
                          I too have spent many hours trying to set my index page. I believe the problem is, over a period of time (many nights) I would watch the tutorials. By the time, I played in BV to get comfortable it was probably a month. Guess what tutorial I watched on the first day. How to name your pages. So it was frustrating until I actually watched them all again and then again. Now my next problem. My wife has a business with many different services eg) designer and maker of wedding attire, skatewear and dancewear. www.reidsunlimiteddesigns.com was created (as a starting point) nothing is linked to it as of yet. For the skatewear www.reidsunlimiteddesigns.com/skatewear.html was born. Now if I want an About Us page in skatewear I tried naming the site "skatewear/aboutus" but as the gurus guessed, it would not let me save the page in BV. I know URLs can have these characters as the page I am on has these characters in it
                          http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/new...ote=1&p=139461
                          This of course, as everything else is probably very easy but I am hoping someone can make it easy for me!
                          Thanks fourreids

Comment

Yes but for the sake of start up money I was trying to create one
                            fourreids

Comment

Okay not a problem ... firstly, you can have as many domains in your one voda account as you wish. Another domain name and added to your account is less than $20.00

But you don't have to do that either.

You can create a subdomain, or even two from your main domain, a sub-domain is free and you can also have as many as you like

You can use your main domain www.reidsunlimiteddesigns.com as your wedding site

and use

www.skatewear/aboutme.reidsunlimiteddesigns.com as your second site, for skatewear

You can do this free, by going into your control panel and create yourself a sub-domain named skatewear

This should add a folder to your directory, where all your web pages get published to, this directory is called public_html

You then retrieve this page you built via www.skatewear.reidsunlimiteddesigns.com/aboutme.html

For your main domain you publish to public_html and for your sub domain you publish to public_html/skatewear

Once this is done, you will be able to build your aboutme page and publish it to public_html/skatewear

You can then build your sites independently of each other.

Make separate folders on your own computer for each of these .bvp files too so you don't confuse yourself, store them separately in your blue voda file if you like ...

You will have to add the skatewear after public_html when you go to publish to skatewear, and remember to take it off when you go to publish to your wedding site .....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                              X