Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disabling download

hey,

I have some audio files on my website, and I wan't to do as much as I can to stop people from downloading them.

I thought I had it figured out (on E Explorer) by disabling the right click. than I tried Firefox, and it has a window that pops up when you want to play the file and asks you if you want to download the file or play it. Is there a way to stop this?

Re: disabling download

May I ask why you have them there? Most things put on a web page are able to be taken even if you use methods to disallow this.

If you want the files all to yourself or only certain people, make yourself a password protected directory and place your files in there ..... then no one can access those pages unless they have the password ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye
      May I ask why you have them there? Most things put on a web page are able to be taken even if you use methods to disallow this.

If you want the files all to yourself or only certain people, make yourself a password protected directory and place your files in there ..... then no one can access those pages unless they have the password ....
      I do have a password protected directory, but if I could even do something to make it hard to download (even for those people who have a password) I would.

Comment

Why make it hard for those that have the password ??

Thats why you gave/sold access, wasn´t it !!!!!!

You could always change the password from time to time if you wished................
        Have fun
        Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
        Newbies / Beginners Forum
        FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
        My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
        Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

chmod the directory to 744 and that will prevent them from accessing the files with the web browser. Then for the file you want to give access use a media player on the website (that uses an encryped file path) to play the files

Register/Login Script
          Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

I remember when I was navigating in MP3 web shop, they have kind of these options, like you find the albums you can listen to the songs but not in Stereo Mode, they are all in Mono, but I know, they are known songs, so you know the quality is better.

Sometimes people will think that the songs are mono quality in origin, so they will escape it.

The thing with that mp3 web shop, they have some kind of scripting or something stoping you from recording.

Yeah, be aware that there is recorders, you can record what you are listening to in your computer.

Make a search in google or yahoo, for sure you will find something.
            The Producer

Comment

Originally posted by Watdaflip
              chmod the directory to 744 and that will prevent them from accessing the files with the web browser. Then for the file you want to give access use a media player on the website (that uses an encryped file path) to play the files
              What does this mean in simple terms?

Comment

You will need a media player similar to what you youtube uses (one where it doesn't reveal the location of the media file on the server). And then the folder that will contain all the media files, you need to use a ftp to chmod it to 744 which prevents people from viewing any file inside of it directly

Register/Login Script
                Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

You will need a media player similar to what you youtube uses (one where it doesn't reveal the location of the media file on the server). And then the folder that will contain all the media files, you need to use a ftp to chmod it to 744 which prevents people from viewing any file inside of it directly
                  sorry,
                  how do you chmod it to 744?

Comment

OK,

If I put a streaming .wma file on a .html page would there be a way to download it?

Like this

http://mp3how.com/kutless-sea-of-fac...-Faces_mp3.php

Comment

Originally posted by xlrsound
                      sorry,
                      how do you chmod it to 744?
                      Use a FTP program, for most you right click on the directory, hit properties, and there should be a field to fill in the CHMOD

Originally posted by xlrsound
                      OK,

If I put a streaming .wma file on a .html page would there be a way to download it?

Like this

http://mp3how.com/kutless-sea-of-fac...-Faces_mp3.php
                      If you view the source and can find the location of the file on the server, and that folder that the file is in isn't protected, then yes they can download it.

Register/Login Script

Comment

Use a FTP program, for most you right click on the directory, hit properties, and there should be a field to fill in the CHMOD

If you view the source and can find the location of the file on the server, and that folder that the file is in isn't protected, then yes they can download it.
                        Is their a player that doesn't show the location but will play .wma files?

Comment

you need to use a ftp to chmod it to 744 which prevents people from viewing any file inside of it directly
                          what happens when you can't view a file inside of a directory directly?

Does that mean even if you found the URL and tried to open the file from the server on windows media player (or anything else) it wouldn't work?

Comment

I know they exist, but I don know of specific one. As long as you CHMOD the folder people can't download it (it will give them an "Forbidden" message when trying to view the folder if CHMOD'ed to 744), then you can use a media player that gives away the location.

Register/Login Script

Comment

I know they exist, but I don know of specific one. As long as you CHMOD the folder people can't download it (it will give them an "Forbidden" message when trying to view the folder if CHMOD'ed to 744), then you can use a media player that gives away the location.
                              So will they be able view the file at all?

Comment

Working...
                              X