Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP for menu bar

Good morning,

I've just followed Naval's instrux to use PHP for my menubars. I'm not at all savvy about this, CSS, I-frame or anything else that's discussed in the tutorial he gave, so I want to be sure I do this absolutely correct. I created a new menu page, and I'm at the point of publishing- when I open the publish box there is an area there that says "FOLDER" and within it, automatically written is public_html. In the tutorial it says to be sure to publish the page as PHP. Should I be changing the "FOLDER" content? To what? public_php? Or just leave it alone....

Thanks for your help, and Happy Saturday!
    Leeza

Re: PHP for menu bar

By default the Folder field is "public_html". Your pages, by default will aslo be published in "public_html". So, also the menu page (which has to ve php, please set, in page properties the file extension to be php when published) must be published in "public_html".
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Ok, so my understanding is that the only place I change to read "php" is in page properties. Another question- as I read further, since I already have my pages made, it appears that I should delete the menubars currently there and replace them with the menu page I just made using html. Right?
      And what about linking that new menu page I publish? I don't see that I would, but figured I'd better ask. Thanks!
      Leeza

Comment

You must delete the menu bars from your pages. In their place, you must place a html box, with the code as per tutorial. This code, will "call" the menu" page that you have published, and place it in the position occupied by the html box. Both the menu page and the main page(s) need to be published as php.
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Leeza,
          I've been gone for 2 days - and am so glad to see you've gone ahead with this!!! Naval is a doll and will steer you right.

I've got your last emails - will be catching up there tomorrow, I hope :)
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks Naval, just saw this reply this morning. I will do those pages that way. Then, how can I check to be sure what I've done actually works?
            (and Bethers, quit hiding lol!)

Comment

11 a.m. --- ok I've done everything in the tutorial. When I preview my page, the area where the menubar should be and html box IS, is blank. Should this be so and it would only be seen when actually published? (have to run out, I'll be back in a couple hrs. in case you reply)...and as always, thanks very much for your help!!!

Comment

Yes, that area will be blank until published - so it sounds like you did it right. :)
                Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Yes. Php is a server side language, so it only works when the pages are published on the server.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

THANK YOU THANK YOU NAVAL AND BETHERS!!!...Now I guess I'll just say a little prayer for each page I do this to...and then we can test and see if indeed, I did do it right.

Comment

Another day, another question... two, actually.

I'm buried in bettering my site, but these questions came to mind as I was thinking. First, in doing the PHP for menubars, I realized that below the menu yet in the same "space/box" I have added information and/or links. Can these remain or must I post them elsewhere?

e.g. take a peek at www.colourtherapyspa.com/color_therapy_healing.html
                      and you should be able to see what I mean.

Also, I have a disclaimer about my business on that page. Does anyone know if such a disclaimer must be put on every page, or can I have a menu button titles "disclaimer" and just put the info there?

Thanks as always for your wonderful assistance!
                      Leeza

Comment

The link you gave doesn't work :) -

But - you can put the entire column in the php or you can keep that separate on the page - whichever you prefer :) If that is going to stay the same on each page, then it would make sense to keep it in the php menubar page. If that information below the menubar is going to change on different pages - you do NOT want to include it.

As to the disclaimer - Chances are it can be put as a link - and doesn't need to be on every page - but it's really up to you. If it's something that you think needs to be on every page - then do it that way.
                        Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                        X