Dedicated IP address & rapid SSL certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated IP address & rapid SSL certificate

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question, I currently have a WWII board on freepowerboards, but want a paid site so I'm signing up with bluevoda, but when I went to pay for my site, I was prompted about paying for a dedicated IP address and if I wanted a rapid SSL certificate. I couldn't find a satisfactory explanation of those two services, so I thought I'd ask here! What exactly is a dedicated IP address? I don't mind paying for it, but I don't know if it will benefit me, or my site, and if it will, how does it do that? There was also a question about paying for a rapid SSL certificate, and I did undestand that if you are engaged in ecommerce, the certificate is valuable, but is it of use if I just have a discussion board? I can't sign up for my site until I know whether I should have either or none of these two options. Thanks for reading this.

Troy

Re: Dedicated IP address & rapid SSL certificate

You wont need either of those from the info that you have given, so go ahead and sign up.

You can always add either of those two items later if you so wished.
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Thanks for your reply david, could you tell me what a dedicated IP address is anyway please?

troy

Comment

Most of us share the vodahost ip address so as far as I understand it, you will be given a single dedicated ip address......

This a reply from NavalDesign in a similar thread:

I don't think that you need a dedicated IP address. This is necessary if you have to get a SSL certificate or if your traffic is too high
        Have fun
        Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
        Newbies / Beginners Forum
        FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
        My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
        Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

I have a wireless router with encryption for my current ecommerce site. When I transfer to BV do I still need to buy the SSL Certificate? I still don't understand what a dedicated IP is and do I need that?
          Barbara
          http://www.gardenpartyteas.com
          http://www.elizabethbaileyportraits.com

Comment

A dedicated IP address is an IP that only your domain name points to. In shared webhosting most domains all point to the same IP and the server handles which website to show based on the domain. If you have a dedicated IP then there will only be 1 domain that is linked to that IP, making it more secure. A SSL Certificate encrypts data that is sent over the internet (and everything connection on the internet uses an IP, you do and websites do). If you have an ecommerce website that handles payment that doesn't go through a website like paypal (which has their own SSL, and other forms of encryption to protect the payment), then you should have a SSL certificate.

Also wireless routers arn't really secure even with encrytion.

Register/Login Script
            Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
            X