Please Help Me.................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help Me.................

right here goes, Chris helped me out with my new front cover which is great thanks chris. I dont the new pages last night and they looked great all fine I then made a big mistake I saved them as new files and deleted all my other files instead of overwriting them doh, and I have deleted my recycle bin so i cant get into resurect them, now my site is a bit mixed with new pages and old and Im desperate I was up all night trying to fix this and I just cant seem to get it, probably something simple but Im so stuck please please help me.

http://www.nataliehumemakeupartist.com/

Re: Please Help Me.................

Sorry to say this, but if you deleted them and dumped your recycle bin, there is not much you can do....Start over...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

what do you mean start over how do I delete the pages that are published already?

Comment

You'll just need to go through the pages one by one and correct the links, then republish. You'll also need to rebuild any deleted pages, but you can get a head start on that in BV by clicking File > New Page > From existing html and entering the url to the page you need to fix up. The page will appear in BV and you'll need to tweak it to get it back to where it was. There's no easy fix for it, but this is better than starting from scratch.
        My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Originally posted by racefan20
          You'll just need to go through the pages one by one and correct the links, then republish. You'll also need to rebuild any deleted pages, but you can get a head start on that in BV by clicking File > New Page > From existing html and entering the url to the page you need to fix up. The page will appear in BV and you'll need to tweak it to get it back to where it was. There's no easy fix for it, but this is better than starting from scratch.
          Hi there sorry to be dim but do you mean to go into the navigation and put in the correct links as this is what I did do, but I cant seem to get it to publish as the pages are called the same as they were previously....

Comment

Then I'd recommend you follow *****'s advice and start over.
            My NASCAR Forum

Comment

when you say start over how do you delete it all so it comes off the net?

Comment

Don't try that. Just reupload the pages you may still have on your pc and rebuild the rest, using the same names as often as possible. The new pages will overwrite the old. The old pages that may still be on the server will never matter to you or your visitors, so don't worry about them.
                My NASCAR Forum

Comment

HOLD ON!

Hi Natalie. Most pages seem to be working fine except for http://www.nataliehumemakeupartist.com/test.html
                  I am getting 404 page from some links & your old page from other links.
                  Best bet is to go through you pages one at a time & check your links on your menu bars as some pages have different links to the other. IE: if you go to this page http://www.nataliehumemakeupartist.com/gallery.html & click on testimonials, you get your old page. Yet other pages you get a 404 page.

You may also find with changing some of the pages that you have some old pages caught up in your cache on your own machine. If one of these old pages comes up on your browser, try hitting F5 many times to clear the old page.

On your front page I put a faded background to lead the eye to the photo, this maybe a bit too white on the other pages with the text you’re using. Might be an idea to make the graduated white part silver in colour to enable the text to be seen a little easier. (only an idea)

Good luck.
                  Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks guys Im not at home just now so no doubt Ill be sepnding another evening wanting to smash my computer up, will have a go when I get home at rectifying it

Comment

goodness....natalie...

you said that you accidently named your old files...as new files...

then deleted the old files..and emptied the bin.

Are you wanting your old files back?
                      OR
                      Do you just want the remnants of the originals off of the web?

another thing...even though I haven't really looked into your site yet...you can go into your MyDocuments and "Rename" the new files to what you want them to be and then open in BV and republish...if you were originally wanting to overwrite the old files to begin with. this might fix alot of the 404 errors, and/or broken links.

also, to clear your browser's cache when previewing or browsing the web...press and hold Ctrl and hit F5 ==>> Ctrl+F5
                      Robert
                      www.GraphXntrix.com
                      Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Originally posted by Robert
                        goodness....natalie...

you said that you accidently named your old files...as new files...

then deleted the old files..and emptied the bin.

Are you wanting your old files back?
                        OR
                        Do you just want the remnants of the originals off of the web?

another thing...even though I haven't really looked into your site yet...you can go into your MyDocuments and "Rename" the new files to what you want them to be and then open in BV and republish...if you were originally wanting to overwrite the old files to begin with. this might fix alot of the 404 errors, and/or broken links.

also, to clear your browser's cache when previewing or browsing the web...press and hold Ctrl and hit F5 ==>> Ctrl+F5
                        I know Robert I dont do things by halves lol. I just want the remnants of the the old files off my site, they are off my computer as I delted them but cant seem to get them off my site now. The joys of being a novice at these things, a good job I know how to apply make up

Comment

LOL, thank you for the humor, it made me smile.

To get the leftovers from the old files off the net, you could just log into cpanel and go to File Manager and delete everything EXCEPT for what you know stays and then republish your new pages.

Did you want these new pages to be saved using the old filenames?
                          Robert
                          www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert
                            LOL, thank you for the humor, it made me smile.

To get the leftovers from the old files off the net, you could just log into cpanel and go to File Manager and delete everything EXCEPT for what you know stays and then republish your new pages.

Did you want these new pages to be saved using the old filenames?
                            Yeah thats exactly it, Im wanting to rename them the old file names, glad I made you smile, but if you were to see me last night you would have been scared of me, my husband was I was actually shouting at the computer!

Comment

ok, so what you can do is try this...start BlueVoda (BV) and just open new blank page...close out any open versions of your pages if already open. save if prompted to.

open up BlueFTP from BlueVoda and login in(connect)...on the right side, delete the newly named pages...ONLY THE ".html" pages....leave everything else. Disconnect.

on the left side (in BlueFTP)..."right-click" the same new pages (.bvp versions) and choose: "Rename" ....simply type in the original names for each page you wanted to save them as (the pages you wanted to overwrite, rename new to old)

Now that you renamed them, switch to BV and now OPEN each one and SAVE then PUBLISH

this should take care of getting the pagenames corrected.

as for old leftover files...one way would be to navigate to each webpage and then save to desktop as "complete webpage"...repeat for pages you want to keep...***doing this will save the html file and create a folder on your desktop for that page with all the included images/files in it. combine the contents of all these pages' folders and then open up BlueFtp again and connect. on the left side...navigate up through the directories until you see the folder you combined all the image/files into on your desktop and double-click it.

you can arrange them by "Name" to see them in order and then simply compare the left side with the right side..which ever files are not listed on the left(to keep) but are listed on the right(old files, throw away) delete them.

all should be comfortably manageable after this.

oh, and you may need to fix the link on you index page for the gown photo.. it should be set to URL:
                              http://www.nataliehumemakeupartist.com/CAWTW5W3.jpg

i hope this helps, I know how frustrating it is to sort thru these things.
                              Robert
                              www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

Working...
                              X