Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few linking questions

Hello there!

So I'm trying to do the linking thing to bring up my visibility on Google, etc., and I have these questions:

1) Any insider advice on writing the description? Other than the obvious "write about your website", of course. For instance, are certain words read first if they are closer to the beginning of the description...that sort of thing.

2) Where do I paste the Reciprocal Link URL in my BV?

3) How does VodaHits differ from doing the VodaSearch signup?

4) For a beginning acting school like mine (www.lkarts.com), what criteria would I use to choose the best pricing - free, $9.95 or $47.00?
    Lori
    www.lkarts.com
    Acting Teacher, Actor, Singer

"Remember, if you're getting kicked from behind, you must be out in front!"

Re: A few linking questions

1)If you talking about the asearch engines reading this then the words which are not looked at, called stop words, are words like 'and' and 'the'. The description normally doesn't make any difference to either the search engine or a person but it is always a good idea to include at least one of your keywords in it.

2)You can create a links page to do this or you could purchase some software to automate everything for you.

3) Vodahits is where Vodahost will submit your siteto the search engines and will cost you a small fee but will get you submited to over 1500 search engines.
    Vodasearch is a directory where you can place your link which is free but will only have one link back to your site.

4)This is really for you to test out yourself, see what works best for you.
    Arcade Ninja - Free Flash Arcade
    FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Comment

Actually, I disagree! The description is LOOKED at by people, and it should be a short blurb describing your website accurately and enticing the potential customer to click thru on it. An ad basically, and it should make sense and be complete sentences.

Stop words are releveant when you are listing keywords in your meta tags, and it should not contain, and, is, or, etc, and is not complete sentences, but a list, seperated by commas.

You should also pay attention to how your actual link is worded. You dont always want to use your title, you might instead use links to make your keywords more important. For example.. if your site was named Hotrodelite.com, your link trade/posting clickable link would read Hot Rod Elite. Sometimes you might use your keywords like, Automotive NEON Lights, or Foreign Car Spe******ts, etc. to help boost your keyword traffic.

Hope this helps!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hello there...

My only piece of advice is to make sure that your main keywords are in the anchor text for the link and also used in the description. The more sites you have linking to you that are using your keywords as part of the clickable link, the better chance you will have of moving up in the search engines.

Thanks
        Yvonne
        Ameriplan USA | Discount Dental Plans | Ameriplan Dental Care

Comment

What is "anchor text"? And THANK YOU ALL for your words! I'll take a closer look this evening - I've had problems with my computer, so haven't been able to look at your kind contributions.
          Lori
          www.lkarts.com

Comment

Anchor text is hyperlinked text.. anchored meaning its linked to a product or page etc. Its the same thing as linked text, its just the technical term for it.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks, Karen!
              Lori
              www.lkarts.com

Comment

And anchored text is VERY important - whether in the links back to your site - or the links within your site to other pages. You don't want to make the anchor text words like "Click here" - you want it to be your keywords.
                Beth
                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Are you guys saying that I should work anchored text into the text of my pages because that is what other places are linking to? I have only one so far and it's on my index page. Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?
                  Lori
                  www.lkarts.com

Comment

Yep, You should add a few more text links for your important keywords. The search engines will pick these up. You might want to consider adding these links to the bottom of each of your pages.
                    Yvonne
                    Ameriplan USA | Discount Dental Plans | Ameriplan Dental Care

Comment

If you notice, everyone that has posted here on this thread has keywords linked in their signatures... not http://www.website.com
                      This is kind of what you want to do to help build links both internal and external to help you out.
                      Best Regards,
                      Alex
                      Surveillance Systems
                      Restaurant POS | Retail POS
                      Free WoW Gold Guide

Comment

Originally posted by aconstas1
                        If you notice, everyone that has posted here on this thread has keywords linked in their signatures... not http://www.website.com
                        This is kind of what you want to do to help build links both internal and external to help you out.
                        Not really......

BUT...adding to the examples given by Beth and Karen both about anchoring text....consider also adding to your STYLES of links to be "over the top" as far as visitor visual appeal and still be conforming to the standard practices:

Rather than have all of your anchored text (keywords) obviously seen in conflicting style in your content as seen in this sentence here, you may wish to simply add a new style which uses the same font and size (obviously), but without an underline except for the "rollover" setting, so your sentence here example word will look like just a regular part of your content! (seen above in gray just to illustrate the fact it is still there, linked, but not blue or with an underline). *Even though the link will have a rollover underline for the cursor, you can also choose to add bold or a different/complimentary tone of color to accentuate the distinction you have made to these words also (using blue only to demonstrate: from *this* to using *this* as an indicator).
                        The SE's will add this dynamic regardless of color or typical style thus, and it is simply easier on the visitors' eyes and the overall appeal of the page.
                        Make sense?
                        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Vasili,

Ummm...I think I'm almost there. But how do you make the link not have an underline? And how do you use style sheets?

I found the style sheet thing, and I can figure out how to add a style. But how do I then apply that to the linked text?

Does that make sense, what I asked???
                          Lori
                          www.lkarts.com

Comment

Whenever you add an element/"action" to text, you must first "highlight" it, right?
                            (the same is true of linking images and objects as well, by the way -- you need to "highlight" them. In the case of objects, you merely left-click once on them, and the little blue "size squares" appear to show you the object is indeed hightlighted)

So, just as you would change the size of the font, you are adding a hyperlink:
                            1. highlight your text
                            2. Click the Hyperlink icon (top of toolbar -- looks like binoculars in front of a globe)
                            3. Enter the information as required (leave "Target" box empty)
                            4. When you come to style (bottom of hyperlink box), you will hopefully see your added "Style" you created...click on that style...
                            5. Now....to double-check your style, go EDIT STYLE >> you will see 5 link actions for that one style....click on each of them being sure that they match the same color of your text, and remove the Underline effect.... DO IT FOR EACH, EXCEPT the last one (hover)!
                            6. Click OK, then once again click on your now-edited style to apply to your text, and OK again.

On your page it will appear blue with an underline, but this is only a visual designer's clue to indicate you have a linked element in the text....when you PREVIEW it and publish it, the text will appear normal until the cursor rolls over it, and an underline will appear to indicate to your visitors that it is indeed a link.

>> Another neat way to indicate a subtle link is to have the text turn a different color when rolled over.....with or without an underline. In the case of a different color of the text, on the last Edit of Style "Actions" (hover), you will simply choose another color, and un-check the underline....see??

To not have an underline at all, merely un-check that option in the EDIT dialog box under "Hover."
                            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
                            X