Any thoughts on my website?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on my website?

It's been up and running for a few weeks, and I've noticed small print on some computers, and verbiage in my headlines that suddenly wraps inappropriately on other computers. Most recently, I've been working on getting the links thing going, and on making my site searchable by Google (a slightly daunting task, but I'm working on it).

Any thoughts on any of the above? I certainly would appreciate it!

Cheers!
    Lori
    www.lkarts.com
    Acting Teacher, Actor, Singer

"Remember, if you're getting kicked from behind, you must be out in front!"

Re: Any thoughts on my website?

only two suggestions... I think your navigation buttons shouldn't switch places to keep from unnecessarily confusing your viewers..

also quick time song i wouldn't set up to automatically begin. The reason I say this is because if someone doesn't have the LATEST version of quicktime on their computer, it will CRASH their browser. They may have to restart their computer, and they wont be very happy. You should make it optional that way those who do have the latest version can enjoy the music and those who don't have the latest version can continue browsing your site without crashing the browser.
    Best Regards,
    Alex
    Surveillance Systems
    Restaurant POS | Retail POS
    Free WoW Gold Guide

Comment

Awesome. I had no idea my buttons were changing places! Thank you for that heads-up! And I'll certainly change the auto-startup of Quicktime. Thanks a million!
      Lori
      www.lkarts.com

Comment

Originally posted by lorikirstein
        It's been up and running for a few weeks, and I've noticed small print on some computers, and verbiage in my headlines that suddenly wraps inappropriately on other computers. Most recently, I've been working on getting the links thing going, and on making my site searchable by Google (a slightly daunting task, but I'm working on it).

Any thoughts on any of the above? I certainly would appreciate it!

Cheers!
        The reason your text changes is due to the font you chose: if you use a font that is not "universal" (seen on every computer, as that font was defaulted in the OS), each visitor's monitor will substitute it with a font that has been loaded onto their system, usually defaulting to either TimesRoman or Arial.
        >> To avoid this from happening: 1. simply create a "banner" in Paint! (all Microsoft OS have this, look under "Start > All Programs > Accessories" or similar) with the font you desire, save it as a .jpg (being sure to give it a proper SE-friendly title -- like "yourdomainname_offers_personal_acting _and_performance_classes.jpg"); 2. Resize this image to the size you need it to fit properly using the VH pix-resizer; 3. Replace (import) this new banner image on your page.

Keep in mind the typical universal fonts for web text are: TimesRoman, Arial, Verdana, Courrier, Comic Sans, and Helvetica. *Don't forget to add an extra "space" at the very end of anything in your BV textboxes...this keeps the last line from appearing as if it is set at 1.5 line spacing!

PS: I agree that background sound should be either kept to a short 30 seconds or less "intro," or as a visitor option entirely.
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Vasili, Generalissimo Mio!

Thank you so much! I will make all changes.

Any thoughts why on one computer the header to the right wraps around, when on mine and on others I've seen, it doesn't?

Cheers!
          Lori
          www.lkarts.com

Comment

Quite possibly the Fremont shuffle? LOLOL!!!
            No....I really must stop that!

*It might be the monitor settings, for if the perponderance of systems you've viewed it on looks correct, then the tendency is to believe the one system is different....(unless you are actually speaking of a difference in 'widescreen' and standard monitors -- and although I know that on my widescreen laptop things look funky, when I publish them they look fine universally. Do not ask me how to reset widescreen to get around this, as I have not been able to so far! LOL)
            And, if not that, I would double-check to make sure you do not have any element "control tabs" overlapping your page borders or element borders themselves (those little blue squares that allow you to resize things).

Anyone have a definitive solution for an old General with regard to display and composition using BV on a widescreen??

Comment

The Fremont Shuffle? I think that goes like this: one, two, three, d'oh! One, two, three, d'oh! Right???
              Lori
              www.lkarts.com

Comment

LOL.....hopefully I make sense otherwise?

So far, I've counted only 3 active members in the Bay Area.

Comment

Yep! You sure do! I'm just trying to find out from someone else (and feel free to jump in here, the water's fine!) how you add a floater picture (if that's the term) to a mouse so that when you move it, the image follows?

Are there really only 3-4 of us in the Bay Area???
                  Lori
                  www.lkarts.com

Comment

I have not seen the effect you described:
                    - I've seen 'windows' that stay in position as you scroll the page (like a floating window-within-a-window)

- I've seen mouseovers/rollovers, where a picture will present when your cursor is rolled over text or a smaller image (with or without a text label)

- I've seen cursors that have things attached to them (clocks, tails, etc.), so this might be the kind of script you are looking for: instead of a dynamic image, I suppose you could insert your own, right?
                    >> Check out www.dynamicdrive.com for a script you might be able to modify yourself.....they might even have just what you are looking for ready to go! (a second site to scour is www.hotscripts.com but a lot of theirs are rather "iffy" and pose difficulties down the road)

Yes....Liz is in Sebastepol, I'm on the water & the TriValley area, there's a gal who actually has her cow and horse on Mt. Diablo (she's in Livermore), and now you.....

Comment

My General,

Yep! It's the cursors that have things attached to them that I'm talking about.

The woman with the doggy site has that kind of thing on one of her pages.

By the bye (if that's how you spell that...), when you're typing that stuff at the bottom of your responses - the stuff that's in gray - does that show for everyone, or only for the person you're responding to?

Another by the bye - I'm in the Hayward area.

-L
                      Originally posted by Vasili
                      I have not seen the effect you described:
                      - I've seen 'windows' that stay in position as you scroll the page (like a floating window-within-a-window)

- I've seen mouseovers/rollovers, where a picture will present when your cursor is rolled over test or a smaller image

- I've seen cursors that have things attached to them (clocks, tails, etc.), so this might be the kind of script you are looking for: instead of a dynamic image, I suppose you could insert your own, right?
                      >> Check out www.dynamicdrive.com for a script you might be able to modify yourself.....they might even have just what you are looking for ready to go! (a second site to scour is www.hotscripts.com but a lot of theirs are rather "iffy" and pose difficulties down the road)

Yes....Liz is in Sebastepol, I'm on the water & the TriValley area, there's a gal who actually has her cow and horse on Mt. Diablo (she's in Livermore), and now you.....
                      Lori
                      www.lkarts.com

Comment

OK Fine! Next you'll tell me that you are actually on the CV line or something, and your kids go to Skyline (like I did)!

(Just used italics and changed the color....it's visible to all, but not everyone notices, really...too busy scanning posted top sentences)

Comment

Tricky! The gray thing, I mean.

So, no, I didn't go to Skyline, but I did just teach an interviewing workshop at Skyline two weeks ago. Go figure!
                          Lori
                          www.lkarts.com

Comment

While I've got your ear, do you know why on earth my BV would suddenly not be able to preview in browser??? Weird!
                            Lori
                            www.lkarts.com

Comment

Refresh your browser (make a habit out of it).
                              Night!

Comment

Working...
                              X