Googles pagerank explained.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Googles pagerank explained.......

Have you been wanting to know how google works out what pagerank to give a website? Look no further than here
    Arcade Ninja - Free Flash Arcade
    FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Re: Googles pagerank explained.......

This part did not make any sense, because most sites will start of with a PR of 0....................

" If a site has PR0, it is usually a penalty, and it would be unwise to link to it. "

What if a PR0 site linked to another PR0 site, which is usually the case when people start to add links to their site ?
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

This part did not make any sense, because most sites will start of with a PR of 0....................

" If a site has PR0, it is usually a penalty, and it would be unwise to link to it. "

What if a PR0 site linked to another PR0 site, which is usually the case when people start to add links to their site ?
      Mmmmmmmm seems to be a strange statement that one. Of course most start with a P.R of 0.

Why this should mean they have been penalised I don't know.
      www.anxietynomore.co.uk
      The U.K's largest independent site for help with Anxiety and Panic issues.

Buy and Source Wholesale Make Up
      Up to 75% off Branded top end Make-up.

www.firstwebcall.com
      Affordable Website Design.

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/blog

The most active blog on anxiety on the net.

Comment

I found it quite informational despite the above mentioned stipulation. Thanks for posting.
        Best Regards,
        Alex
        Surveillance Systems
        Restaurant POS | Retail POS
        Free WoW Gold Guide

Comment

I think what it is trying to say is that it is better to link with sites above a PR of 0 that way you can be sure of what you are linking as in the site has been around for awhile and has a better reputation but i take your point as in all sites start off with a PR of O so is a little misleading there and is not to be said that all sites with a PR of 0 will harm your site as they may end up having a high PR but it maybe worth just waiting until it's higher. Just my opinion there though so could be totally wrong. lol
          FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Comment

Mook thanks for posting, it could scare tons of people who are starting out though. Can you imagine the hysteria when they find out their pagerank is 0 and they think they have been penalised or banned, Beth will be working overtime to calm them all down : )
            www.anxietynomore.co.uk

www.firstwebcall.com

Comment

I get several requests to link to me - I tend to look at the sites for their content, as well as rank. If they have page rank then obviously I am happy to link - if they haven't, but have good relevant content I am also very happy to exchange links. We all have to start somewhere, and they might overtake mine one day!

Sadly, most requests for exchanges are totally irrelevant to my site, and someone has just been sending out requests in bulk! These I ignore!
              Trish
              www.Limebrook.com
              www.MountainWalk.co.uk
              www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
              www.TucsonForBeginners.com
              www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

I know the feeling limebrook. Usually things to do with low cost medicines and holidays which is all very nice but nothing to do with my site. lol

The way to look at it is as limebrook says. If the content matches your site and is relevent then is ok to link but you've got to look to see if they have a page rank for just starting up or a page rank of o for other reasons. Best way to check is via the whois function that way you can find how old the domain is.

Comment

When I first started out obviously I could not be too choosy about the persons page rank. I got ignored by 90% of webmasters and these are the same people now contacting me to link, well hoot to them, they should of realised that the link could have ended up higher than theirs.

So I also do the same, if the page rank is low, but the site is good and relevant then I will link. As you say that site could be very important in months to come.
                  www.anxietynomore.co.uk

www.firstwebcall.com

Comment

If you have a google tool bar where the page rank is displayed, even a new site is generally a one .. once its been indexed. Theres a few 0's, but if a site has been BANNED the tool bar will grey out. So pr 0 can be a good thing.

Some webmasters think that they TRICKLE pr by trading links and voting for a site with good content new or old and that sites with PR trickle rank to them. Lots of times they cut off their nose to spite their faces! Some SEO theories even apply this filtering to links within their own sites so as not to trickle page ranks and actually use no follow tags on inner page links.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                    02036089024 / United Kingdom
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

As all of us who keep searching for how Google comes up with its algorithm know that it is a continually evolving animal - and animal it can be.

The latest revision resulted in our top-ranked site that I keep working on dipping to a PR2 which is grossly embarrassing after all the work done on it, our brandnew semi-optimized site with 5 or so links got a PR2 out of the blocks, and our third site on which I've done zero SEO and 20 or so OK-ish links got a PR1 with no effort expended.

Here's what Jennifer Horowitz, Director of Marketing in the EcommBuffet April newsletter had to say http://www.ecombuffet.com/newsletter/seo-news-april-2007.htm

April 2007 News:
                      A recent observation about Google’s algorithm is the topic of much discussion amongst those interested in SEO.
                      Let’s start with the basics…
                      An algorithm is the mathematical formula that Google uses to rank sites. It is altered frequently to keep the results returned after a search relevant and high quality.
                      Information About the Current Algorithm Change
                      It looks like more pages are added to Google's supplemental index, and that Google might be re-ranking the results based on new quality criteria.
                      It seems that internally, before the search results are actually displayed Google comes up with an initial set of results. Then they re-rank according to certain criteria - basically it appears to be stricter criteria. So they are essentially filtering their own results as an added quality control step.
                      If your site isn’t included in the first set of results that are returned, this re-ranking step can’t help you because no new results are added.
                      If your website is included in the first set of results then the re-ranking could help or hurt you.
                      If your web site fails one of the re-ranking tests, then your rankings scores might be lowered and your rankings will likely drop.
                      What are they scoring you on?
                      Relevance
                      Trust factors
                      Website age
                      and more…
                      This may explain the yo-yo effect that has been observed for some URLs. A web page goes from top rankings, to page 50 and then back to the top again.
                      Why?
                      Google might be using this new system to quickly get initial results, and then filter those results to return a lower number of better, more relevant results from the primary index. Those results that are filtered and don’t pass are moved to the Supplemental index.
                      The Supplemental index would only be used to deliver results if the total number of sites in the primary index fell below a certain number.
                      How do you benefit from this change?
                      Simply put, you have to make sure you have a site that is likely to pass in all the areas Google is reviewing and scoring your site. For example: Get good inbound links from trusted websites to raise the TrustRank value of your own web site. Grow your website’s content – with quality content that is relevant to your site and uses your keywords well. Properly optimize the content on your site to show Google that your web pages are relevant to a special topic.

So there we go, for what it's worth there's one view of what's going on.
                      So it's back to checking all those non-relevant links which it seems is where our slump in our first site came from - we still had some leftovers from the early days when anyone who fogged a mirror was a link partner - the other sites only have relevant links and of course refining the copy writing - again!

With regard to the discussion above about PR0 - that's where we all start and then it's onward and upward from there - or in our case in this iteration of the algorithm - Up & Down!
                      CedarAtticVents.com Genuine Cedar Attic Vents, Gable Vents and Shutters in many Standard Designs and Sizes as well as Custom Made to Your Specifications
                      HingeAndLatch.com Gate and Door Hardware with the look and feel of yesteryear. Traditional and Antique styles to enhance all your entrance-ways

Comment

Working...
                      X