I don't seem to be ranked too much with Google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't seem to be ranked too much with Google

Can anyone tell me what I can do better here? Do I just need to do Soholink to get rolling, or is there something else that I should be doing?

Thank you for your help!
    Lori
    www.lkarts.com
    Acting Teacher, Actor, Singer

"Remember, if you're getting kicked from behind, you must be out in front!"

Re: I don't seem to be ranked too much with Google

lori

Im not sure what Soholink is ..but...

<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="LKarts Acting School,acting schools,San Francisco Bay Area,Lori Kirstein,SAG,AFTRA,Scene-Monologue study,monologues,agents,theatrical auditions,actors,acting,line by line script analysis,arcs and beats,internalization,characterization,believabili ty,blocking,creating your environment,drawing your audience in,On-Camera class,television,auditions,cold readings,commercial work,improvisation,auditioning techniques,script analysis,slating,headshots,resumes,portfolios,agen ts,casting directors,self promotion,unions,principles,featured extras,Fremont,CA, California">
    <META NAME="description" CONTENT="Acting school, actor training for theatre and film in the San Francisco Bay Area. Workshops and classes.">
    First of all your meta tag description should be complete sentences, not a list of keywords. It should describe your site like an ad.. and basically its read and is what is reproduced on some search engines. Search Engines all read and give weight to this tag and give credence to your content and check rather or not it matches whats on your page. However.. thats only a small part of page ranking.

You keywords meta tag is 1.) too long, 2.) too generic 3.) contains terms not on your web page.

You should pick four or five MAIN keywords for your page and optimize for them. No worries you have more pages to assign more too. With the four or five MAIN keywords in mind, you can expand them to keyword phrases, and the total number should be 30 at the tops.. most likely closer to twenty. You cant possibly optimize for more than that and do it well.

ALL of your pages are titled EXACTLY the same, probably have the same meta tags too. Each page needs its own title, and meta tags, and needs to be optimized for only whats on that page..Again use only words and descriptions pertaining to that page.

Along with that.. you need to use appropriately H1 tags(headers) for the main theme of your page and this headline should be different than your page title, but still themed to this page. Each page needs to make use of this as well.

Your contact page is missing entirely.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Karen,

Thanks for the information! My understanding of keywords, though, is that they are single words (found with Keyword Digger). As for the meta tag description, I'll have to look at that and make the necessary changes.

Along with that.. you need to use appropriately H1 tags(headers) for the main theme of your page and this headline should be different than your page title, but still themed to this page. Each page needs to make use of this as well.

I am unclear on what H1 tags (headers) means. If you could clarify that, I'd really appreciate it.

I see it on the web. Do you mean it's missing somewhere else? I'm uncertain what to understand here.

Thanks again for your help.

Lori

Originally posted by Karen Mac
      lori

Im not sure what Soholink is ..but...

First of all your meta tag description should be complete sentences, not a list of keywords. It should describe your site like an ad.. and basically its read and is what is reproduced on some search engines. Search Engines all read and give weight to this tag and give credence to your content and check rather or not it matches whats on your page. However.. thats only a small part of page ranking.

You keywords meta tag is 1.) too long, 2.) too generic 3.) contains terms not on your web page.

You should pick four or five MAIN keywords for your page and optimize for them. No worries you have more pages to assign more too. With the four or five MAIN keywords in mind, you can expand them to keyword phrases, and the total number should be 30 at the tops.. most likely closer to twenty. You cant possibly optimize for more than that and do it well.

ALL of your pages are titled EXACTLY the same, probably have the same meta tags too. Each page needs its own title, and meta tags, and needs to be optimized for only whats on that page..Again use only words and descriptions pertaining to that page.

Karen
      Lori
      www.lkarts.com

Comment

Lori

Keywords can be phrases too. They arent limited to single words. In fact, the longer keyword phrases get found and get searched for better by customers.. than a single keyword will. Most people dont type just one word into their browsers. Its much more difficult to get a page rank for a single keyword than it is a phrase.

For example to find you.. Some one might type in ACTING classes, or worshops for actors. Not just ACTORS or ACTING. So you should include phrases like that in your otimization.

H1 is a formating for a headline. If you have word or any document editor you can insert headers or HEADLINES and you can do the same in html. Think of it like a heading in a newspaper. Its a phrase not necessarily a sentence captioning your page.
        You do have a heading.. you just dont have it as an h1 tag Ie:
        Empowering the Actor Workshops & Group Classes

SE may give it more weight if its formatted as an h1 tag

When I clicked your contact page.. I got page NOT found.. its there now.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Lori, do ask the questions as there are some very clever people on here that really helped me with the search engine side of things.

Google also as I found out may sandbox any new site for a few months before including them in their rankings, so don't be too put off if at first you don't find your site in there, its all about doing the right things and patience.
          www.anxietynomore.co.uk
          The U.K's largest independent site for help with Anxiety and Panic issues.

Buy and Source Wholesale Make Up
          Up to 75% off Branded top end Make-up.

www.firstwebcall.com
          Affordable Website Design.

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/blog

The most active blog on anxiety on the net.

Comment

Thank you Karen and Karel - very much.

How do I make an H1 tag? Do I type H1 somewhere in the HTML code? Do I need to put some kind of "<" or ">" in there as well?
            Lori
            www.lkarts.com

Comment

Hi Lori,
              I suggest a couple things you can do - click on the last link in my signature and read the SEO Ebook for starters.

Then, find the appropriate rooms in this forum and read some of the other messages - you'll find answers to lots of your questions.

Also, learn how to use the search feature. I knew that there have been several posts on h1 tags - I simply put h1 tags into the search and looked till I found this one - which gives some different ways to do them - towards the bottom of it - I give the way that is W3C compliant - which you always want to try to be:

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sea...highlight=tags

Good luck - and keep asking when you have questions - don't get me wrong - just wanted to show you that often the question has been asked and answered before - if you look :)
              Beth
              A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thank you, Beth! I understand. And I really appreciate your feedback.

My computer totally crashed recently and took all of my favorites with it, so a lot of my VodaHost favs are gone with the wind! Thanks for the suggestions.
                Lori
                www.lkarts.com

Comment

I remember recently reading somewhere on forum about us Vodians having a new "google tool" of sorts? When I typed "google" into our Search here in the forum, I got this thread but cannot find what I saw the other day about Google. Can someone refresh my failing memory? thanks
                  Where's Your Life Going? You might find some help here: http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/banners3.html
                  Who is Pristinelife? http://ourjourneytolife.com/aboutme.html

Comment

Working...
                  X