MY first website..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY first website..

I would love some feedback on my website.

www.tnatrainlayouts.com

Thank you,
    Teresa
    Teresa
    www.tnatrainlayouts.com
    www.schultzadoption.com

Re: MY first website..

Teresa

I didnt spend alot of time on your site but heres a brief run thru of what I did see without going into real webmaster details.

Your titles and Fonts are WAY TOO BIG, and I had to scroll alot to see what I wanted to see, and that was your trains. You can probably half that font size easily and still be readable unless your audience is blind.

Most importantly, theres no navigation between pages. You need some way to navigate back and forth without using the back button or just closing and hoping to find you again. When I did find navigation it was way to the bottom of the home page, and then it disappeared everywhere else.

You have a nice start to what will be a very nice hobby train site! Good Luck!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi Theresa ...

Custom train layouts, wow what fun, only run by your imagination eh!!

You've got a few things that you could work on here to make things run a little smoother ... First comes to mind is reducing the kbs of your images, for a very physically small sized image, each is over 700 kbs, too too much over the limit ... the kbs of this image should only be around 20kbs or so ...

So, you need to optimize (reduce the size of the kbs) of your images ...

you can do this by using the free pix resizer available here at vodahost or the online image optimizer available here

The width of your pages, should be the customary '800 width, which allows all viewers to view your pages without sideways scrolling ... so you might adjust that ..

I would also recommend a navigation system for your site, that allows all pages to be viewed from all pages ... for an explanation of this you could read my blue voda tips found here. Have a look and see if you can make some changes so that there is a natural and smooth flow to your site..

Hope this helps a little bit ... you're going to have a great site, you just need a bit of tweaking .... (lol, more work eh!!)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi Teresa

I loved your first site, it brought a genuine smile to my face.

Im just learning myself so i cant give you website specific advise ( like bandwidth etc) but i would say the scrowling from side to side was a nuscience.

Best of luck to you and dont forget, target the U.K. we have quite a few model train enthusiasts here, who all need track.and layouts

PS:I was just at your site having another look and checking the layouts there bueatifull by the way but how do you get from one to the other i couldnt find a next button or a way to navigate without closing the window hope that makes sense.
        Mirelle

Comment

Hi,
          Really take on board what ladyeye has said re the size of your images: the file sizes are truly massive. Although I do have a broadband connection I really lost the will to live during the aeons it took to load your home page! Congratulations by the way: your home page is the largest I have encountered ever (6678 kb). I remember telling someone recently that one of his pages was a whopping 700+ kbs. Seriously though, you will be absolutely fine when you have optimised those images. Good luck with your site.
          http://www.jamesbartondesign.com

Comment

Hello All - THANK you for all of the feedback. I plan on resizing my photos to start..then to attack the sizing and navigation. I truely appreciate all of the feedback I have received.

HEHE - Wow - do I get an award for largest images?

Thank you Ladyeye for the great tips page
            Teresa
            www.tnatrainlayouts.com
            www.schultzadoption.com

Comment

Hello.
              You have got a great idea and a good start. Listen to the "lady".
              Just an Idea, could you put lincks on your train pics, or text to link forward and back to other pages. Good luck.
              Mike

Any excuse for non performance only weakens the charactor

In God We Trust

Comment

Just curious if you knew that "T & A" has a negative connotation behind it. Perhaps you don't care, or don't think it is significant, just pointing it out. The trains and accessories are beautiful. I would suggest a little less moving text. kinda made me go crosseyed for a second. Overall, Well Done! You're getting the hang of it all and it seems you will get your site all together fairly soon. Keep up the good work.
                Best Regards,
                Alex
                Surveillance Systems
                Restaurant POS | Retail POS
                Free WoW Gold Guide

Comment

Hello -

T & A....trust me, I know. My husband insisted. It truely stands for Teresa and Andy.
                  Teresa
                  www.tnatrainlayouts.com
                  www.schultzadoption.com

Comment

Web site edited...

Ok...I edited the site..take a look and tell me what you think.
                    Teresa
                    www.tnatrainlayouts.com
                    www.schultzadoption.com

Comment

Thats not bad keep up the good work

Comment

you've made huge improvements.... I no longer have to scroll to see the page.. the layout is better structured... I still think you have some navigation issues. You need to put your menu buttons on all of your pages so that visitors can go from page to page with ease. Well Done... keep up the good work.
                        Best Regards,
                        Alex
                        Surveillance Systems
                        Restaurant POS | Retail POS
                        Free WoW Gold Guide

Comment

Hi,
                          Absolutely huge improvement on your home page (now a perfectly acceptable 323kb). Agree with comments about moving text: we all do it some time or other. That is doing something fancy just because we can. You dont have to change it now, but I bet you will sometime in the future. Now that Your home page loads in a trice I actually went into "lionel" which takes too long to load: again it is bloated image files. However you know what to do now so I'm sure it will all be sorted soon. Well done.
                          http://www.jamesbartondesign.com

Comment

Hi, looking lot better on the image sizes. Could do with some sort of theme through out the site with colours & backgrounds. Was having a play with watermarks earlier on & this may give you some ideas. Try the link below.?
                            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hello Chris -

I love the watermark idea. Is it up for grabs???
                              Teresa
                              www.tnatrainlayouts.com
                              www.schultzadoption.com

Comment

Working...
                              X