PDA

View Full Version : Password Protection

dmgant
05-10-2007, 12:40 AM
I have created a family web page and members of the family want an address page included in the site. How can I password protect this page only so that only my family can get access to this information?

Girlonthehill
05-10-2007, 01:03 AM
I have created a family web page and members of the family want an address page included in the site. How can I password protect this page only so that only my family can get access to this information?

Set up a sub directory for your private data and password protect it (in Control Panel). Publish the private page to this sub directory.

dmgant
05-10-2007, 01:06 AM
I have tried that, but when I go into the site from the internet, I can get right into the page that I thought I password protected.

Girlonthehill
05-10-2007, 01:41 AM
I have tried that, but when I go into the site from the internet, I can get right into the page that I thought I password protected.

Well, I have just tried the process and it worked perfectly for me so I can only assume that you have made an error somewhere along the line.

This is what I did:

1. Set up a sub domain in CPanel.
2. Password protected the same domain (ensuring all relevant boxes were checked and completed).
3. Published a page to said sub domain.
4. Typed: http://www.mydomain.com/nameofprivatesubdomain/page.html
5. Entered login and password when prompted.
6. Accessed private page.

I'd suggest you try again because it does work. http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon7.gif

dmgant
05-10-2007, 01:52 AM
A sub domain or a sub-directory or are they the same thing? I can see that the sub-directory has a lock on it like it is protected.

dmgant
05-10-2007, 02:15 AM
I am getting very frustrated. I know I must be doing something minor wrong, but it still isn't working. I can see that it is locked, but I am still able to get access to the page without a password.

Girlonthehill
05-10-2007, 02:21 AM
I am getting very frustrated. I know I must be doing something minor wrong, but it still isn't working. I can see that it is locked, but I am still able to get access to the page without a password.

Please send me the page URL so I can test it from my end. Email me.

Girlonthehill
05-10-2007, 02:53 AM
Please send me the page URL so I can test it from my end. Email me.

Okay, I believe you have either published the page you want to protect to the public_html directory instead of the protected one or ...

you have forgotten to change the hyperlink on your index page to reflect the new address.