No announcement yet.

Can I add a cms (Joomla in particular) to an large site created with BlueVoda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I add a cms (Joomla in particular) to an large site created with BlueVoda

Hi everyone

I hope someone can please help me. I have a fairly large site (150+ pages) that has been created with BlueVoda, and I am finding it increasingly difficult to manage the constant changing of the pages as the site continues to grow. Every time I have to add/delete an entry, for example, I have to manually reposition each element on the page before publishing, which is extremely time consuming. Is it possible to incorporate a cms at this stage of the website's life or should I have done it at the beginning (when I had never even heard of a cms!).

I have been researching cms's via the vodahost forum and think that possibly Joomla is the way to go? I want something that will enter new ads in alphabetical order and re-size my pages automatically - is this even possible or am I living in cloud cuckoo land?!

I was a complete novice at web design, this is my first ever attempt, so I'd be grateful for answers in newbie language!
    Thank you in anticipation

Clare
    www.fuerteventurabusinessdirectory.com

Re: Can I add a cms (Joomla in particular) to an large site created with BlueVoda

Hi Clare, I would be surprised if you can extract the data for your pages the way the information has been entered. I am not sure, but I don’t think you will find any software to do this.
    For the type of web site you are doing, there are loads of link directory style programs that would do the job, which are basically databases for storing this style of info. You may have to find someone to change the style sheets to suite yourselves and taste’s, but wouldn’t imagine this would be that hard.
    It was mentioned a wile back, (link) with the way your site is leading, that you would need a database.(No! not rubbing it
    in) lol. But! I would also now think you will need the facility of adding images to some, if not most of the ads as well.
    If you do go down this route, it maybe worth looking at adding flags to each item, it may help some visitors that just want to look for lets say a German bar or mechanic. (only an idea).

Good luck.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi again Chris - told you I'd be back!

Haha...I know, I know...I have been sooooooo busy it has taken till now to actually have the spare (?) time to look into this properly. Have put everything else on the backburner today as I know I MUST get this issue addressed pronto.

So what you're saying (and forgive me if I'm a little slow, this is all new) that it isn't a cms that I need, it's a database programme (different thingys yes??). And what are link directory style programmes, and are they again a different doodah?

Are there databases/link directory programmes out there that can be twiddled for my own needs, or do you think that I require a customised one, that I would need a webbie type person to design for me (ooooo, and that would cost me both arms and legs yes??)

Thank you so much for any help you can give me on this - if you help me build my empire I'll remember you in my will lol!!

Clare

Comment

Oh flip..didn't want picture there!

How do I get my piccie up top??

Clare

Comment

Re: Can I add a cms (Joomla in particular) to an large site created with BlueVoda

Ahah!! Sorted that bit anyway......

Comment

Hi Clare, it’s a bit of a case on how much you need the program to do. I personally find it so frustrating that some great programs do so much, but the programmer/designer has left out certain things that would be so useful & just never put it in the program. Then you go to another one that is terrible & has all the bits that the 1st one left out. lol (Cant win).
            I am not recommending these programs below, but just as an idea on what available. These ones have the type of thing you maybe looking for.
            Try a (Google search = Links directory scripts) There are hundreds out there.
            The other advantage is visitors can place there own postings for free or a fee depending on how you set them up in the admin area.

Freebie http://www.skalinks.com/ only for an idea.
            Not so free http://turn-k.net/k-links/demo $60
            http://www.softbizscripts.com/link-d...t-features.php $50

I would imagine the above & similar software could have the looks changed quite easily with some one that is good with style sheets. It’s just finding one that suites your style of business.
            There might be some other suggestions or programs that others are using that will do this. But basically, your site is a links directory.

Wills! Long way off yet. Lol. You shouldn’t leave anything behind.
            I like all the thought of getting older and going on lots of skiing holidays.
            (Spending kid’s inheritance) lol.

Cheers.
            Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thank you Chris, very much indeed.....spent all yesterday afternoon searching through google and found a couple of good sites, and I learned A LOT! I found it to be exactly as you said...I need bits out of half a dozen different packages. I guess I'm gonna hafta redo the entire site in the most applicable link directory software as I don't think I can just plop my BlueVoda site into it eh (can you hear me banging my head on my desk in frustration....and there is a BIG black cloud over the Canary Islands right now too!).

Anyway, thanks so much for your input....and keep working towards those skiing holidays!

Best wishes

Clare

Comment

Hi, Mrs banging your head on the wall. Lol. Funny! I did that the last time I was in the Canaries? Went for 10 days & rained for 8. Apparently the 1st time in years.
                On the software front, I found the turn-k.net quite flexible & you could add extra fields to each posting very easily. But still worth finding someone that could change the style for you, quickly & easily at a good price.
                Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Aaaaaaahhh...that was your fault was it!

I'll have a look at that one then, see how I go

Thanks again

¡Hasta luego!

Clare

Comment

Working...
                  X