Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Privacy Policy question, (and copywiting)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privacy Policy question, (and copywiting)

I know this is covered to some degree in a couple of places, but could someone please provide me with SIMPLE clear answers to these questions? :
    1. Under what circumstances would a site need to have a privacy policy?
    2. Does it need to have a mandatory tickbox, or just need to be present?
    3. Does Voda or anyone have a (sample or samples) or template we thickskulled ones could use/copy/build from?

and additionally, unrelated, really

4. In your opinion, are most sites actually copywrited, that is, do most people go through the actual legal manueverings to do that, or would you say that the most just write 'copywrited 2007' or whatever?
    Just wondering on this last one.

Thanks to all who can and do assist me here.
    Liz
    www.sebastopolparty.com
    www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Re: Privacy Policy question, (and copywiting)

Originally posted by larazovich
    I know this is covered to some degree in a couple of places, but could someone please provide me with SIMPLE clear answers to these questions? :
    1. Under what circumstances would a site need to have a privacy policy?
    2. Does it need to have a mandatory tickbox, or just need to be present?
    3. Does Voda or anyone have a (sample or samples) or template we thickskulled ones could use/copy/build from?

and additionally, unrelated, really

4. In your opinion, are most sites actually copywrited, that is, do most people go through the actual legal manueverings to do that, or would you say that the most just write 'copywrited 2007' or whatever?
    Just wondering on this last one.

Thanks to all who can and do assist me here.
    I found this when I Googled the subject, Liz. Remeber that this was from a UK perspective so it may be different for you gys but Iwould imaginethere are similarities.

The purpose of the privacy policy is to stipulate the type of information that is captured on a website about the user and how this information is used. As websites are becoming more interactive there is a requirement for more personal information to be stored, this document covers the key data protection issues inherent in running a modern website.
    I have no idea whether they are madatory or just deemed good practice. But gather that you should think about having one:
    if you collect any information about the people that use your site; or if you use cookies. I think it just needs to be present, but could be wrong.

If you do a Google search you will find more information about this subject and even basic policies that you can purchase for a few dollars and download to adapt to your own needs.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks Amanda. I will do just that.
      I believe there is a mandatory need here - Vasili alluded to it in one post, I think, but thought I would throw the question out there, as I know next to nothing about it so figured I might not be alone in that lack of knowlege.

Have any thoughts on copywriting?

Thanks again Amanda
      Liz
      www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Originally posted by larazovich
        Thanks Amanda. I will do just that.
        I believe there is a mandatory need here - Vasili alluded to it in one post, I think, but thought I would throw the question out there, as I know next to nothing about it so figured I might not be alone in that lack of knowlege.

Have any thoughts on copywriting?

Thanks again Amanda
        No expert knowledge, Liz, I'm afraid. I believe EV does know his stuff, on this particular subject, so it may be worth waiting for him to show up later. I'm sure he will help you out.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Any time you process credit cards or store ANY personal information, you need to have a privacy policy which states HOW the information is used, including if you store cookies about their search/viewing habits on your webiste.

Credit Card companies mandate it be clearly visible on the HOME page.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac
            Any time you process credit cards or store ANY personal information, you need to have a privacy policy which states HOW the information is used, including if you store cookies about their search/viewing habits on your webiste.

Credit Card companies mandate it be clearly visible on the HOME page.

Karen
            Thanks Karen. At this point the info collected might be email addresses and phone numbers, so I will get this in place asap. I am still researching the verbage. Found a site that will generate on for free, but I am still looking around..
            Thanks again.
            Liz
            www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

The CANN and Patriot Acts both require a specifically compliant Privacy Policy to be prominently placed on all pages of a website that collects any private or personal information whatsoever.....be it credit card information (financial); email addresses, physical addresses, name, or 'profile' -- shopping and/or website viewer habits and history (personal); or by use of cookies retain website use attributed to individual IP (system).
              This is a compliance that is non-negotiable or interpretable.
              Additionally, since most websites now have metrics collections involved (use of cookies to build Stats) this aspect must be declared specifically even if nothing else applies: you need to describe your use of cookies even if you do not have an email function/form, or do not transact any business.

To find a current sample of a compliant Privacy Policy that you can later edit/customize, visit the BBB Online website, drilling into the Application process to find their current sample that they expect you to "approve"....(you can copy it and end the application process with no further obligation).
              Your personalized Privacy Policy needs to be on every Page (or the link itself), not just on the Main Page (as was until 2004).

When it comes to "Copyright".....yes, placing it similarly on your web pages allows you the full ability to "enforce" the basic rights of Use and Display without having to pay the $375 for every instance of registering with the US Patent Office (see the site for Rules and specifics).
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
                The CANN and Patriot Acts both require a specifically compliant Privacy Policy to be prominently placed on all pages of a website that collects any private or personal information whatsoever.....be it credit card information (financial); email addresses, physical addresses, name, or 'profile' -- shopping and/or website viewer habits and history (personal); or by use of cookies retain website use attributed to individual IP (system).
                This is a compliance that is non-negotiable or interpretable.
                Additionally, since most websites now have metrics collections involved (use of cookies to build Stats) this aspect must be declared specifically even if nothing else applies: you need to describe your use of cookies even if you do not have an email function/form, or do not transact any business.

To find a current sample of a compliant Privacy Policy that you can later edit/customize, visit the BBB Online website, drilling into the Application process to find their current sample that they expect you to "approve"....(you can copy it and end the application process with no further obligation).
                Your personalized Privacy Policy needs to be on every Page (or the link itself), not just on the Main Page (as was until 2004).

When it comes to "Copyright".....yes, placing it similarly on your web pages allows you the full ability to "enforce" the basic rights of Use and Display without having to pay the $375 for every instance of registering with the US Patent Office (see the site for Rules and specifics).
                Thanks Eric; just what I wanted to know.

Much appreciated.

Gratefully,
                Liz
                www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

For an example of the above, you can visit one of my sites, and click on PRIVACY at the bottom of the page.

You will see one example of an enforceable disclaimer that is both specific and broadly protective, and is completely compliant with current Law.

Since it is in Flash, I think it is difficult to simply copy and paste from, but it can be printed.

Comment

Can be, but why? Simply go to the HTML version of the website, hit privacy policy and highlight/copy/paste if you wish.

I'm assuming Vasili, that you are condoning using the construct you have created to be molded to accomodate others' websites...

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by cellopro View Post
                      Can be, but why? Simply go to the HTML version of the website, hit privacy policy and highlight/copy/paste if you wish.

I'm assuming Vasili, that you are condoning using the construct you have created to be molded to accomodate others' websites...

Paul
                      Yes, Paul, but this is only the preliminary method I implemented to not only solve the Flash optimization problem but provide a more friendly version to slower connection visitors.

Stay tuned.....I have something really nifty in the works to eliminate the need for a "mirrored" website in HTML and which still keeps the total "look and feel" of a complete Flash formatted site!

Comment

Working...
                      X