Worried about Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about Vista

I have been reading around Vista being even more restrictive with all its DRM.

While I tried to ignore most of them, I argued against it on this one to prove my point:

But it seems like they have proven a point... I don't know... is there anything that I don't know of?

Re: Worried about Vista

A lot......read all the posts in the numerous threads here at VodaTalk, and you will come up with more information.

What is your point, by the way? Are you desiring to procure/upgrade to Vista, or figure out how to personally configure that which you already have?

>>> The reason I ask, is because you are not asking anything in particular, and seem to be merely seeding a link to a blog (a common tatic of spammies).
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

What's the point, I guess it is like what the title says, "Worried about Vista", since we eventually have to switch to it OR to Mac/Linux if it turns out to be no good.

So, here's a few quotes from the blog that I am currently worried about:
      In terms of licensing and DRM, Windows Vista is in fact restrictive. DRM stands for "Digital Rights Management" - but its name is misleading, and some people suggest that DRM really stands for "Digital Restriction Management" this latter naming is closer to what DRM is!!

DRM is software that uses some kind of encryption such that a downloaded\bought song only plays on one hardware. Similar to activation of windows where the Windows XP (and now Vista) locks itself to one hardware configuration and when moved to a different hardware it stops working. So if you take your hard disk and try to run it on a friend's hardware windows will lock you out!!! You will only be able to unlock it by calling Microsoft's customer support and giving them a proof that you own that windows copy! Same thing happens when you buy a new computer and want to install your windows copy on that computer, you'll have to explain to Microsoft's customer support the situation.

Microsoft allows you to install retail versions of Windows Vista on only ONE computer (unless stated otherwise)... Upgrading the motherboard or CPU will count as using a "new" computer. You are allowed to transfer your copy to a new computer only once (after calling customer support of course). So if you buy a new computer, or upgrade your computer, you would have used your only transfer available. If you upgrade your computer again you will have to BUY a new windows Vista license!! So they even restrict you on how many time you upgrade your computer!!! [On XP all you had to do, is call MS customer support and give them a proof that you own the copy, and they would transfer it as many times as you want!! On Vista, as I explained, you can transfer your copy only once!]

Back to DRM, many music companies provide music that is encrypted that can only be listened to using certain hardware! DRM causes many problems, say you downloaded a song on your computer, you will not be able to run it on your MP3 player for example...

By the way, windows' genuine advantage "calls home" from time to time. Microsoft installed this "feature" on customers' computer without their acknowledgment... This behavior is characteristic of spyware, Microsoft's genuine advantage is spyware, except that for some reason its "good" spyware Microsoft says!!
      The Windows DRM merely requires you to have more computer than you need in a vain attempt to kill piracy. Only days after Vista came out, people were claiming that the encryption scheme had been cracked.

An anonymous reader writes "Security researcher Alex Ionescu claims to have successfully bypassed the much discussed DRM protection in Windows Vista, called 'Protected Media Path' (PMP), which is designed to seriously degrade the playback quality of any video and audio running on systems with hardwa...

The end result: you are paying more and losing choices of hardware/software for a failed system.
      So tell me one bit of extra functionality that you gain by switching to Vista because of the DRM scheme? Truthfully, there is no added functionality to the system because of DRM. All that DRM does is require the end-user to buy more expensive and power-consuming hardware. Your processes are slowed because there is a lag to decrypt all of the information. Copying a CD takes about 2 times longer in Vista than it used to take with XP. DRM functionality in action.

Comment

Best Advice?
        If you are "worried" about Vista, and can handle waiting 2 years for Vienna to roll out using XP freely and comfortably in the meantime, then lose the preoccupation with Vista and simply carry on. (By that time, we will probably have no supportable options anyway...)

"Why fix it if it ain't broken?"
        And worse, why spin your wheels "worrying" about a poorly designed and nefariously functional platform that adds nothing but liability and "class status" in the first place?????

If you are concerned with Vista's issues, imagine your frustration to learn that Microsoft is morphing to onlineOS applications with Vienna (the ultimate market control that defies anti-trust somehow)........ personally, I cherish the freedoms of personal choice, and recoil at my vision being stifled in any way whatsoever.

IMO

Can we let this tread die? Enough about Vista!!!

Comment

Hey,

There is a Service Pack 1 coming out for Vista this summer or late fall with the new updates and they also fixed the bugs as well as the cursor virus that they had many problems with.

If you are going to get Vista, don't upgrade your computer, you're better off buying a new one .. but if you're planning on getting it, found out the exact date of the new SP1 release and get it then.
          Best regards,
          Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
            Can we let this tread die? Enough about Vista!!!
            Haha! .. are you still sticking with the XP for now Eric?
            Best regards,
            Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

It would suffice to say that it pays to read threads entirely, Jeremy.

There are a few other "Vista-specific" threads here in VodaTalk in which I have provided documentation for my positions, and have offered my musings with regard to my personal response.

BTW: It's 'General,' 'Vasili,' 'Sir,' or when appropriate 'my friend' .....common courtesy, please!

Enjoy!

Comment

I noticed that several on-line computer sellers are providing buyers with the option to choose between XP or Vista, interesting, and models with XP cost less.
                Bill
                www.blueearthtea.com
                www.ftaaconsulting.com
                www.iaval.com
                www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
                  Best Advice?
                  If you are "worried" about Vista, and can handle waiting 2 years for Vienna to roll out using XP freely and comfortably in the meantime, then lose the preoccupation with Vista and simply carry on. (By that time, we will probably have no supportable options anyway...)
                  But Vista is only the start of DRM and the problems inherent with the system. Vienna is not going to be better. It's just going to be more restrictive. And XP, while a better alternative to Vista, still shows the early signs of DRM. I can't play some of my LEGAL videos that I have downloaded. DRM kills them.

Comment

Working...
                  X