Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uploading a Pre Designed website

Hi Guys,
    Just want to say first, a massive thanx to Blue Voda and all you guys for making it so easy to have your own webspace!! Am on 2nd website now thanx to u!!
    Just a bit stuck on this one: I have a completely pre designed website I have purchased Not from Blue Voda... Oh the shame..;o( All the pages, links, graphics etc are complete. Im just unsure how to use BV to get it onto my website...?? Do I need to "rebuild" each page in BV from scratch as I did on my other site? Or is there some way of "importing" the whole thing in one go??

Cheers... u guys rock!!!

Luv ardnutt x
    http://www.ardnutt.com
    http://www.digimakerman.com

Re: Uploading a Pre Designed website

Hi, have you used BV in any way with this new site you have built or was it built in with some other method?
    If built with BV? Those elements would have to be sent to the server via the publish button. But if built with front page/D/weaver you would have to use an FTP program to get the pages on the server.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi,
      No BV was not used in any way on this site. So is it possible to use Blue FTP to upload it and bypass BV completely? I wasn't sure if that was possible?

Thanks!

Comment

Ready made sites are usually a collection of html files. You just upload them on your server using FTP. BlueFTP is also suitable for this purpose.
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi,
          Yes Ive got a collection of HTML files, and a folder with all the images in. So I would simply transfer all the image files to my webspace, then the HTML files?? Its really that simple??

Thanks

Comment

Yep! BV is a program that needs a vodahost server. But Vodahost works just about the same as any other server, in that you can FTP most types of web pages up to it. So you should be able to upload all the pages of your new site with no problem.
            The only thing that might be a little different is how you have linked your pages to enable the working of the links.
            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Found what i was looking for in the tutorials!!! Just click on new in BV, then select from an existing html page and save & publish it from there!! Much easier to let BV make sure its published where I want it!

Thanks for your help and advice guys!!!

Comment

Well, this might work only partly. BV will NOT maintain text formatting, will NOT import css and Javascripts related to your html page, and will NOT create hyperlink styles.
                So if you have the pages in html and a folder with all the images, you should upload everything as it is on your server and save yourself the time of editing the pages in BV.

Just my opinion though....
                Navaldesign
                Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

And a very good opinion!! I have just found out what you mean!!
                  Which now leads me to another question... if I upload the whole file with all the pages, images etc with BluFTP, Where should I put them?? ie will the page thats called "index.htm" automatically become my home page??

Also I know that my home page must always be "index.html" but this page is called "index.htm" and I dont know how to change it??

Any ideas would be great!

Thanx

Comment

the server wil always look first for index.html, then, f it doesn't find it, it will look for index.htm, then index php. So, no worries about the extension.

You should upload everything in public_html. The images folder should be uploaded as folder, because the way you have described it, the links to the images are refering to that folder.
                    Navaldesign

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
                      Yep! BV is a program that needs a vodahost server. But Vodahost works just about the same as any other server, in that you can FTP most types of web pages up to it. So you should be able to upload all the pages of your new site with no problem.
                      The only thing that might be a little different is how you have linked your pages to enable the working of the links.

Hi Chris
                      I wonder if you could help me again.....I have created with Dreamweaver /fireworks a family album. On my PC it works fine, but when I upload (zipping the whole thing...Ftp....unzip) the site does not work. I suspect it is to do with the links...how can address this issue?
                      Thanks
                      nader

Comment

In Dreamweaver, switch to the code view, and change the links to site url, www.yourdomain.com/whatever etc. You can also click on the links in the view mode and edit them there, and your images, you can edit the properties there.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                        02036089024 / United Kingdom
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                        X