remotely connecting to a MySQL db

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remotely connecting to a MySQL db

Is it possible for me to let a user to remotely connect to one of my mysql db's?

I currently have multiple db's but I don't want to grant them access to the others. Only connection to a single particular db.

If this is allowed, what's the best possible way to connect to it and make changes etc.? Will the MySQL GUI Tools help?

I tried connecting with the MySQL Administrator program and could not connect. Gave me error 1045. Access was denied, even though I had the correct email address and password.

edit: just realised the IP address it showed is my local IP address. Why would it tell me access was denied at my local address?

Re: remotely connecting to a MySQL db

Connection to a particular database is possible. Of course, you need some piece of software that will allow you to do so.
    There are two ways to establish a remote connection:
    1. Direct connection, through http protocoll: in this case, you must enter your CP, MySQL section. and add your host to the allowed hosts. The problem with this solution is that if you have a dynamically changing IP address and host (as many ISP providers will assign you to a different server each time you disconnect/connect) you will need to repeat this process everytime you want to connect to the database.
    2. Through a php script that you upload on your site. This script acts as "intermediate" between your local computer software and your DB. To you it seems like a seemingless connection (though it is not). This way you connect to the database as localhost, through internet, and there are no connection or permissions issues, other than the correct DB username/password.

To allow connection to only one of the databases, create a user / pass that will only have access to that particular DB. You can also limit the privileges if you want, through your CP.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks for that valuable information.

Do you happen to have any recommendations for programs both client/server side for MySQL db administration. As I cannot let this user access through my CP for PHPMyAdmin.

Is is possible to have something similar to phpmyadmin which will not interfere with my other DB's ?

Comment

http://www.navicat.com/

However, i have not yet understood if you want a database administration tool or a database interface (to be able to view, edit delete etc the listings of a particular application)
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

An interface would do I guess. He needs to get data off various tables and into a slightly differently designed database.

Comment

Then navicat will do the job.

A database interface is usually designed for specific applications and allows browsing, editing, deleting, adding, sorting, searching, printing etc. as well as having particular features as On load evemts etc. It also allows jointed tables browsing. BUT, it is specifically built for a specific application, it will not do the same job with another table or database.
            Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
            X