PDA

View Full Version : help

kingtut0_3
06-02-2007, 02:09 AM
Hi;
I am using SOHO. I was working on it today, I took a break and when i came back in about 2 Hrs, I couldn't get into my program. Please could someone help me.
My store is out there I know that, I just can't get in to try and finish it up.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Chuck

Karen Mac
06-02-2007, 04:33 AM
Add the sohoadmin after the domain

http://www.serenityindooroutdoorfountains.com/sohoadmin

Karen

pristinelife
06-02-2007, 04:51 PM
it doesn't work for my site. Why?

Karen Mac
06-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Pristine

It doesnt work for your site because you used bv for your site. You havent INSTALLED soho yet so you cant log in to what doesnt exist. Ive told you this before! You have to install it to use it. It doesnt magically install itself and make it available for your use.

Please READ the sticky at the top of this page on HOW TO INSTALL SOHO. Then it might work for you!

Karen

Karen Mac
06-02-2007, 06:33 PM
WAIT .. you couldnt find it if I gave you a map..

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/soholaunch-general-issues/3692-how-install-soholaunch-must-read.html

There just click that.

Karen

cellopro
06-02-2007, 09:59 PM
same problem here. I have not made the mistakes in the previous posts in this thread either.

I've heeded the advice of a previous thread to send a support ticket. Any help here would be appreciated.

Just shows page not found. Was working fine about 3 hours ago.

Tried http://www.serenityindooroutdoorfountains.com/sohoadmin which is Kingtut's website and it won't give me the login screen either.

bug on the hosting side?

Paul

pristinelife
06-02-2007, 10:49 PM
WAIT .. you couldnt find it if I gave you a map..

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/soholaunch-general-issues/3692-how-install-soholaunch-must-read.html

There just click that.

Karen

No need to be so 'hateful and sarcastic' in your replies to me Karen, you'd make other NEWBIES in webpage creating, like myself, afraid to ask questions in the future, still I appreciate your replying. Now if you'd like to answer another question, "What, if any, is the difference between the CPanel in BV website builder and the CPanel in Soholaunch?" Can we have/use BOTH at the same time and use BV website builder to build our pages, then use Soholaunce to edit if we choose to get a shopping page at a later date?

Karen Mac
06-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Paul and Chuck...

The link to Chucks site was working last nite. I checked. Its now now working however, so yes put in a support ticket! Might be an issue as there were alot of RAGING Thunderstorms last nite that COULD affect the server.

Karen

Karen Mac
06-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Pristine...

If you would take the time to READ what i have posted to you several times, then I wouldnt get snotty. I get tired of repeating myself. I spend about 25 to 30 hours a week sometimes helping newbies for free I might add, and I expect them to take the time to read what i post or email them about, and not waste my time. If it takes a smack to get your attention.. then so be it. I could easily get paid for the work I do, so that RESPECT goes both ways, you dont bother to read or follow directions, then you just dissed me!

The Cpanel to your account is just that. Its where you actually access the server space you are alloted on your account. There are tutorials on that in that thread that you need to read!!!!!

The Cpanel to Soho is for administering the Soho site itself. Most builders have a CPANEL of sorts to assist in building, and uploading files specific to that software, and catalog driven carts, as in soho, for maintaining your databases and creating your pages.

Karen

kingtut0_3
06-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Karen;or onyone who can help

I put in a support ticket for this problem, because I still can't get to my site this morning. If you would when you get time go and check it outfor me,please this is driving me nuts. I don't have much hair left from pulling on it on my "other store" If you know what I mean. I'm bald enought, I got One of my nieces calling me uncle baldy.

Thanks in advance

pristinelife
06-03-2007, 05:06 PM
I see what you mean KingTut, all that comes up on your pages is your sitemap.

cellopro
06-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Update:

Well my support ticket went through, about 6 hours ago, managed to log on through sohoadmin, called it a night, went to sleep. Woke up, ready to grin and bear the continued editing and presto!

"Page not found". Again. Replied to the original support ticket, hoping that someone can come to a solution here.

Logged in here, and got caught in the login screen loop, had to reset my password for the forums. Seems like THAT at least works now.

http://www.cellopro.net/sohoadmin just doesn't load. I checked out kingtut's site, getting into the directory is interesting, but when clicking on the sohoadmin file folder at the bottom, same problem as me.

I have disabled all firewalls, adblockers, antivirus and have cleared java and IE caches completely.

All other websites load fine, it's just the login.

Help! Wasted yesterday with this, and like many of you, my time is very precious.

Paul

cellopro
06-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Kingtut, did you just republish your website while renaming the pages differently?

Back to the problem at hand, I'm basically going to backup all my web pages, in a seperate folder, here's how you can do this: Go to your Cpanel, NOT the one you get by typing in www.yourdomain.com/sohoadmin (http://www.yourdomain.com/sohoadmin) do this by logging in to your cPanel of your site. This means that you drag out the vodahost email that I know you saved, which has your site that maybe looks like this: http://www.yourdomain.com/~lkjwidlf and enter your master password that is there. You will find yourself looking at a cPanel.

Click on the icon that says FILE MANAGER

Bear in mind that this is NOT the sohopanel. This is your files, and junk that is actually stored on voda servers. Click on the public_html folder. You will notice your .php menu buttons here. Ignore them for now.

You will notice a folder called sohoadmin there. Open it up.

Now click on the folder icon next to tmp_content. New page pops up and you see your work you've put into the website. Open it up and you see, wow...all .con and .regen files. This is the work you have done so far on your website.

You will see things like Home_Page.con and Home_Page.regen

For my particular problem, I was working on a page called Video_Compilation. The entire program froze and I was forced to reboot. Before that it was lagging drastically. This is when the cPanel login didn't work when I tried to log back in. I'm going to mess around with this. This was a HUGE link page. I stuck Video_Compilation.regen in the trash but didn't empty it. I viewed the file Video_Compilation.con and found it to be an adequate place to start. Now it's time to save.

So, basically you can now copy and paste to notepad all of your work if you need to, either by saving the html (if you're using the same template after a reinstall), or jsut save the text to creat new objects if you wish.

Conversely, you can do a shortcut and store all your files in a temporary folder that you create in cPanel, then move them back to the temp folder once you have created your menu bar again, I basically wanted to reset everything to clean up the template and try a new one anyway, so I went to the public_html folder, highlighted all my pages, pasted it into notepad, so I can easily create new pages again just by looking at the text file.

Close out the File Manager window, go back to your cPanel, click on fantastico, delete the soho install, reinstall, and pop your files back in, or experiement.

I noticed that there were duplicate pages. It may be that when you delete pages in soho, they still remain in the public_html folder unless they are renamed EXACTLY like the old ones. Keep it clean. Get rid of them if you don't need them, since if someone mis-types a page name and points the browser to www.yourdomain.com/vids.php (http://www.yourdomain.com/vids.php) and you had renamed that at a later date to www.yourdomain.com/videos.php (http://www.yourdomain.com/videos.php) they will get a 404 or page not found. Worse still they could possibly get outdated information. (If you had been working on that page at some point and gave up) Save whatever you can, or want to. Since my website is mainly text at this point, I just highlighted and copied the pages I'd done to notepad, for simpler uploading.

These are step by step guidelines if you want to try uninstalling and reinstalling soho, but don't want to lose your website. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT GOES IN WHAT FOLDER if you're just saving work to a folder you have made. Nothing like a paper and pencil to keep things straight.

I will try the reinstall and see what happens.

Paul

Marincky
06-03-2007, 07:13 PM
SohoLaunch is not the most user friendly program in the world. I must admit I found it riddled with issues, bugs etc etc. I finally got it to come together despite it taking me 8 weeks longer than I had estimated to make it. I can't say I am it's number one fan!

This post will self destruct any second...

cellopro
06-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Starting to see that. However, all programs require knowledge of their use, and any time you use a computer language program, to create a computer-based product, if you're a rookie, it takes awhile. I'm going to stick it out for now, besides any work I do on the website I take with me if I decide to go to another program.

I think the word is "import"

P

cellopro
06-03-2007, 07:35 PM
kingtut, I now have the same problem as you. It appears that once you reinstall, the shell disappears and the website will just show the directory. Once you rebuild the shell (use the wizard) this should disappear.

I have now managed to log into my cPanel in soho. I will continue to reconstruct the site, posting back here of the progress.

P

Karen Mac
06-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Chuck if you email me or pm me your login and passwords ill see what I can do. I can access my sites, and I can access the logins on all of yours. Make sure you all are clearing out your cookies and cache, as you may be calling up an older page. Keep up on the support tickets.. as it may be a bug in soho updates.. and it could be I have customized something that you havent.

Cell theres a script you can run that reattatches the database without resetting soho or rerunning the wizard. Its on the soho forum.. I dont remember where exactly and I dont have time to locate it. Also make sure you all click the question mark in soho on the upper right corner for the help. .and then click the second tab on the top "IT" and run all four of the bug fixes there, then click on each of the silver bars that go across the page to see if there are any errors in there, as that can be a clue to What to fix.. if there is an issue with the installation.

Dont pull your hair out. SOHO does remain one of the easiest storebuilders to use on the market. Just go try a few others and you will find out! They have a much higher learning curve! Ive worked in serveral dozen store builders, so Im saying this from experience.. I dont get paid for it!

Karen

Karen Mac
06-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Ok.. I got to Chucks problem and I couldnt fix it, but I did pinpoint what the problem was so that he could resubmit his support ticket and get it cleared up.

Cell you need to do this as well.. You need to click the question mark, and run the diagnostics on the IT TAB. Click the permissions bar in the center of the page and make sure the owner is set to your user name. If the second one is nobody, you need to run the fix at the top of the page that says Fix my permissions.

In chucks case, the fix failed and did NOT reset the permissions, so there is a problem in that script.

Also make sure you have updated to the latest stable build by going to the webmaster icon, software updates tab, and install the latest stable build.

DO NOT INSTALL THE UPDATE THRU FANTASTICO. If you do, it will reset your database to a SUBDOMAIN, instead of an ADDON domain and then you will have to run the SETUP script to fix it. This will also cause you NOT TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS the sign in screen.

Karen

cellopro
06-04-2007, 01:07 AM
thanks for the tip. Looking all over for the question mark, finall found it right where I was looking...sheesh. Ran the diagnostics, sure enough there was a permission marked "nobody" for the root directory. Followed the instructions, yes, I can actually do that....

In the webmaster tab, it shows FTP connection succeeded, which was originally a red box, now shows a green checkmark. I went ahead and saved the settings. Closing and opening the help box, shows no change, however, so I'll wait until I'm fairly done with what I'm doing to reopen the soho cPanel login. Probably will fix itself with cPanel being closed down and reopened. We'll see. Trying to figure out why my .pdf is not showing up. Perhaps this is it.

Paul

cellopro
06-04-2007, 01:14 AM
Did not fix it. I'll send a ticket in.

There has to be a workaround. I'll try and find it.

Paul

Karen Mac
06-04-2007, 03:17 AM
Paul

Soon as they set the permission from nobody.. it will all resolve itself. Those permissions are critical for soho to operate correctly.

No work around without some programming. Easier to just ask and get the permissions set.

Karen

cellopro
06-04-2007, 05:10 AM
I've sent the support ticket, actually used the same one I filed originally.

The workaround was to open up cPanel on the front end, right before I needed uploads, I changed the permission for the public_html folder from 755 to 775, allowing the group to write to the folder. Worked fine all day. However, make sure you set it back to 755 when previewing, or you'll get an "Internal Error Occurred". When set back, works fine. Been uploading like this all day. Done good work on the site today, so I'm happy. Now to go write some music...maybe a cello quartet or two...

Hopefully when I wake up, "nobody" will be "SOMEBODY" preferably with a name to match the first one.

As for "pulling my hair out" I've got plenty, and I DO realize that I'm learning the software, and it DOES take some time to get used to. I feel my major problems will come this week initializing a shopping cart with a subscription backend added to it....<sigh> maybe I should have stuck with geocities...ROFL.

Paul

cellopro
06-04-2007, 07:05 AM
and of course now I can't log back in to sohoadmin...I'm really thinking about giving this up. Been working fine all day, then it froze up on me, closed it down and now can't log back in....

Think I'm going to spend some time finding other website builders...too many bugs, and if it wasn't for Karen this forum would be full of unanswered questions.

Karen Mac
06-04-2007, 07:07 AM
LOL.. I told you to put in the support ticket and ask them to change the permissions as the script isnt working with the current update.

Sorry.. cant help laffing! Soho works great once that permissions is set! I have NO issues at all, and no problems logging in.

Karen

cellopro
06-04-2007, 07:30 AM
support ticket has been in for 8 hours now.

=)

bout time you had a laugh anyway.

Paul

kingtut0_3
06-13-2007, 02:35 AM
Hi everyone;

The help I need now is the menu bars. They are off center and I would like to center them if it is not to much trouble. I am not to knowledgeable about html code, but am willing to try and learn.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Vasili
06-13-2007, 03:05 AM
LOL.. I told you to put in the support ticket and ask them to change the permissions as the script isnt working with the current update.

Sorry.. cant help laffing! Soho works great once that permissions is set! I have NO issues at all, and no problems logging in.

KarenYah know? This is going to sound incredibly lame (especially from the likes of me) but I am so paranoid about the temperment of servers and ANYTHING I have installed via Fantastico into hyper-customized templates that I do not even think about updating versions...of forums, CRM tools, and especially Soholaunch.....(even their own support forum is weak).

In many cases, after VH has either swapped or upgraded servers (which means literally new IP's) or like the recent Password reset request (read in here a need for Users to "re-activate" their logins), it is more than likely many are experiencing a cache conflict.....this is especially bothersome when trying to connect with online applications like Soho.

If you perform a DNS flush, you might clear your browser to not drag in any conflict when trying to connect (re-establish).

OK....that's enough from me now...on with the show? http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon10.gif

Karen Mac
06-13-2007, 04:37 AM
Hi everyone;

The help I need now is the menu bars. They are off center and I would like to center them if it is not to much trouble. I am not to knowledgeable about html code, but am willing to try and learn.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Chuck my dear that will fall under customization. What you will have to do is download your template folder, open the index in frontpage or dreamweaver, center the #MENU# division. (hint if you dont like certain colors or styles while youre hear might as well change them in that css file thats in the folder as well) Save the changes, rename the folder, put a one in there someplace so you can recall it on the template manager, reup up the WHOLE folder via ftp to the sohoadmin/includes/pages/templates/ or zip it and upload it thru the template manager.

Karen

Karen Mac
06-13-2007, 04:41 AM
Vasili

(EVIL GRIN) thats why i have a full head of hair and enuff to make a wig for two people and you dunt! NANA BOO BOO..

Seriously tho.. I dont rely totally on soho forum, this forum, or even support tickets 100&#37;. YES i put them in and Im sure they hate when i do cuz its not usually a simple fix, butttttttttttt.. I learned to do things my self as much as possible. Call me a control freak, but i hate being at ANYONES or ANYTHINGS mercy. Soho does work great once you learn to iron out the quirks and just like anything else, it takes some learning.

Can you do it without ANY html or php knowledge? Yes, you just have to be satisfied with less.. .. unless of course yer me.. and thats just not acceptable.

Karen

Vasili
06-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Oh, I mess around quite a bit, and have the experience to pass on to others, but honestly, updating to newer versions more often than not results in major problems for me, and I am simply over adding unnecessary stress by having to once again set things back up and carve out an enormous amount of my precious time that would be better spent elsewhere.

And, like you, I prefer to preserve my independence as much as possible, so as not to be beholden to others. Since I use templates and have them whacked-out according to my grand desire, I am not always in the position to re-do them......many times they require knowledge of Flash or SWisH, something out of my realm.
> As long as things are functioning satisfactorily for me, I see no need to constantly update things and risk rocking the boat!

Want to try my new popcorn? Twice the flavor with no guilt!
(This is intermission, right??) LOL