No announcement yet.

Embedding documents using text editor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embedding documents using text editor.

Ok. Open up an edit page. You see all these lovely square tables. You can drag and drop whatever you want, forms, pictures, graphics, files for download, etc.

It's even possible to drop multiple objects in a table.

This is fine. HOWEVER.. If it is possible to go into the advanced text editor, you can drop a flash, wmv, picture, etc within the text. Why not drop a document in?

Why I ask is I would like a webpage of say, 100 ebooks that I would like to present in a vertical list fashion by say...topic. Since these are all free I really don't need to mess with a shopping cart. What I would like is to have customer click on it, download window comes up, open or save it wherever and they have it on their computer.

Dropping individually all of these into one specific table is time consuming, especially since they are about 15 characters, and they ALWAYS end up in the center.

So my problem now is I would like everything flush to the left. Is there a way to drop in a document through the text editor, so that it becomes easy to line everything up?

Remember that this is a link to a .pdf file. So viewing it live with the little floppy disk icon, the title and then the size in parenthesis is ok to me. Clicking on it brings up a download screen, since 100 2MB files on one page will be a little slow to DU users.

Of course I COULD do it the "time-consuming way" and just format all the text boxes around the "file" to be centered...just seems like there is an easier way.

BTW, I have a workaround for the permissions.....

Paul

Re: Embedding documents using text editor.

Workaround for permissions wont last long.. trust me.. been there.. done that .. did it already!! Everytime you log in youll be working around them again!

Easiest way to embed a document is to use the CUSTOM INCLUDES.. thats what its for. Use notepad or dreamweaver or whatever and do you thing then save it and use that custom include drop, it will ask you to upload it if you havent already, and then choose it from the drop down list.. and wham.. there it is! That easy!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

looking and experimenting....I do not see CUSTOM INCLUDES. Where is it? I must be half asleep.....

Paul

Comment

On the page maker, its the CUSTOM CODE button on the top row, right next to the shopping button. Sorry, it amounts to an include.. but its called Custom Code in the builder there.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I have found a simple solution:

I can live with it too.

Let's say you have a document "mydoc.pdf". Upload it through soho cPanel by clicking on "File Manager" icon, then clicking the "upload" segment. Browse through your files and find the "mydoc.pdf" on your computer. Open it. You'll see your file in the file bar in your cPanel. Upload it.

After the success screen, go to "edit pages", find the page you want it on, edit that page.

Now. Two ways of doing this: You can stick the file on the page. Simple enough, drag the document button to the appropriate square, and release it. Now go up and pick your file, and place it. Now you'll have a little download icon live on your page with the filename next to it.

My favorite way is this: Type in some text like "My Document". Highlight the "My Document", click on the "link" icon on the taskbar, you get a popup menu, enter the path to the file. Mine is something like this: http://www.mydomain.com/media/mydoc.pdf

Not a real website btw.

Now, browsers clicking on that will be taken straight to the adobe window and they can download, print, etc to their heart's content.

Extremely useful when you have a bunch of downloads on a page, like if you have a law website and your clients can dowload appropriate forms.

This can be done with just about any filetype. .pdf, .jpg, .wmv, as long as the client has the software to VIEW THE FILE. If very few people have Finale Music Notation software for example, they will not be able to view the file. Keep it simple and format files with common extensions. I find that .pdf is the best way. Pretty much everyone has adobe reader bundled on their computer when they purchase it. If you're unsure, use the appropriate plugin.

Hope this clears some things up.

Paul

Comment

Hi!
            am noel got 2questions
            can i register this type of domain www.goldenwaves.co.tz?
            and how do i insert download link,i've got a certain doc and i want people to view it plz help1

Comment

tz? Tanzania? Should probably post this in the general help forum, not the soho forum, you'll get a quicker answer.

Depending on the software you are using to BUILD your site, the tricks will vary. If you're going to be using soho to build it, then the above post will do the trick.

Otherwise, you need to create a code that looks something like this:

<A href="http://www. yourdomain .net/media/yourdocument.pdf">Title for Your Document</A>

No spaces in the domain.

It will then look like this on the page:

Title for Your Document

It will be blue, signifying a link. When a client clicks on it, they will be taken to the file which they can view, print, etc.

Hope this helps. Ask in the General support forum up top with your registration question. Here's the link:

Paul

Comment

Working...
              X